IGNORED

Why we try to improve our riding skills to prevent this

pickersgill1

True, we try to improve our riding skills to avoid this, but I'd still take the MC airbag if it were offered. From this video it looks like it would have lessened the severity of injuries.

Of course my first thought was: What a waste of a perfectly good bike.

What you see is physics in progress. You chance of survivability in a collision with another vehicle depends on how high the vehicle is. Collision with a low profile vehicle allows the rider to fully eject from the motorcycle and vault over the vehicle, increasing your odds of surviving.

A collision with a SUV or truck will likely result in your center mass striking a a fixed object on the high profile vehicle. This shortens the decel time of the kinetic energy of your body. Chance of injury and death goes up. Another recent thread shows this very graphically.

The longer you can extend "delta v" the better.

Another thread also asks what you should do if a head-on collision is imminent. Reaction time, training, instincts and skills has a lot to do with the decision you make.

Faced with a car coming at you with no time to swerve left or right, I would like to say you should jump straight up off your pegs. Your bike takes the center punch while you sail over the car..landing behind the collision with abrasions. All bets are off if the head-on vehicle is a bus or truck.

First thing that struck me about the video is, the rider is passive.

Then, I realized, this is a demo of M/C airbags.

I observed that, although it appears the rider's forearms may have been broken, he was ejected in a vertical trajectory, thusly all but eliminating many other more severe injuries.

Seems like a viable option to me.

Interesting. Amazing how high the rider goes. One important thing I would have liked to see however, the landing.

ISYHTRAH

I've seen the full video, where they use the same bike without the airbag. The riders head gets snapped back, then gets the head impacts the edge of the roof, while the neck is still bent back...Not a pretty equation.

Back in the seventies, I was on the back of my brothers bike when a plumbers pickup (you know - the ones with the tall boxes on the side of the truck where they store all their tools) turned left in front of us. We hit him right behind the rear wheel at about 40 mph. My brother impacted the side of the truck (shattered wrist, a couple of cuts to the face, severe bruising on the inside of his thighs from where he clamped down on the tank). I went OVER the truck and landed a measured 35 feet beyond the truck. Fortunately, I had just left the Army, where I was a paratrooper, and made a good 'parachute landing fall', which allowed me to roll right up onto my feet. Only damage was a scratch on my helmet.

So yes - going vertical, and extending your delta-v be good things. But I don't think the rider has any control over that unless he sees it coming a long way off (and if he does, why wouldn't he just 'lay it down'? lmao.gif).

I agree with you Francois....I do not want to test it...

We can all speculate... we can all practice our skills...we can all feel confident....

But we will not have a clue what our brains will do in a situation such as this until it really happens...

There have been many riders who have and have not survived this....And for those who have... thank the Lord that the brain has a way of blanking out this moment...

All you can try to do is practice and be safe.....

(...) Of course my first thought was: What a waste of a perfectly good bike.
Yeah, I thought the same thing - but then relaxed once I realized it was a Goldwing... lmao.gif

(Having owned *two* of them, I can say that...)

Archived