IGNORED

Check Your Tires

Warren_H

Here is a picture of what I found before a ride I didn't take. The Conti Road Attacks have only 2000 miles. There was a four inch long bulge where the tread had separated on my front tire. From the wear on the bulge I'd ridden at least once with the separation. The picture doesn't show the bulge very well but you can see the expansion in the tread. While sitting on the garage floor to remove the tire I noticed a finish nail in my car's tire. Two potential saves in one day.

I told my BMW dealer (BMW of Ventura County) I had 2000 miles on the tire expecting to be charged for the wear to my surprise there was no charge for the tire or labor.

166751753-M.jpg

Great reminder! I just replaced my tire a couple of weeks ago. I spaced it out and found steel belt coming through! Yikes. I couldn't believe I had not paid better attention. I'm usually good about it. blush.gif

I told my BMW dealer (BMW of Ventura County) I had 2000 miles on the tire expecting to be charged for the wear to my surprise there was no charge for the tire or labor.

I don't know squat about squat (in the legal sense) but that would have been catastrophic failure for sure!

Yeah they changed it out for free. I sure hope they send it to Conti for evaluation. You should follow up on it.

It may start a recall! lurker.gif

Incidentally, there is a recall on certain Michelin Pilot Power front tires. My dad currently has one under recall on his R1150RT. Sorry, I don't have a link at the moment, but google does....

Chris

That would make a great Conti bike tire commercial on TV.

At least you are getting a new tire, (which you should, along with an offer of a 2nd free one, IMO). Good pointers on checking out your tires before every ride.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

A strange thing about the Conti RoadAttack. Did you notice in the picture the little arrows go backward from the direction of Rotation. The Big Arrow on the sidewall labled "Front" shows the correct direction, which is opposite the little arrows--very strange. confused.gif

Here is what Conti has to say about the subject.

ContiRoad Attack Direction?

The orientation of the ContiRoad Attack front has recently been revised. Conti Germany responded to feed-back from the UK and other markets about maximising the already incredible durability of the original front tread pattern. After the launch of the ContiSport Attack test riders commented on the fact that the reversed tread direction gave much more uniform wear across the tyres section and so the ContiRoad Attack front pattern was switched in late October 2006 to take advantage of this better wear characteristic. Some confusion exists because some European plants outside of Germany have a tread mould with small arrows at the edge of the tread near the sidewall, these arrows should be ignored. These moulds are being replaced. ContiRoad attack customers may be offered the same tyre with apparently two different directions of rotation. The tread pattern on both tyres is fine. Riders should be aware that all relevant and legally required information regarding speed rating and direction of rotation is moulded into the side-wall of the tyre, not the tread, so be sure your tyre is fitted in accordance with the directional arrow on the sidewall regardless of which way the pattern runs.

Agreed that tires should be a routine part of the pre-flight check. Here's what I found in Wichita, Kansas on Memorial Day. I was on the way back home to NJ from the Grand Canyon, and happened to look down and see swr482.jpg Needless to say, I breathed a sigh of relief that nothing happened on the 500 mile (mostly in terrible construction zones) jaunt the previous day...

The tires are Metzeler Z6. They last about 13k in regular duty commuting back here in NJ. But on the ride out west, they didn't even make it 8k. The roads out in the midwest are made of a compound which resembles course sandpaper!

-MKL

Archived