IGNORED

Wife wants an R11R

milesandmiles

milesandmiles

My wife's settled on an R model to upgrade into. She test rode a 2007 R1200R and liked the weight and feel, at least vs. my RT. She's looking at a 2004 R1150R right now but she hasn't ridden one yet to determine if the extra 70 pounds the earlier models pack would feel significanly heavier. Any opinions out there about the differences in the bikes. Also, that 04 doesn't have ABS. I thought ABS was standard, is it an option? My RT has ABS but I've ridden for almost 30 years without it and I'm still alive. Still, my wife's a new rider and maybe we she should consider it.

If anyone has experience one the old and new R models, let me know what you think. My wife is 5'5" and can't quite flat foot the 07 w/stock seat. Hoping a low seat might just do it.

Hi-

My fiance Terri got an '04 R1150R with ABS last year. Here she is http://www.mklsportster.com/r1150r/r1150rchronicles.htm This year, we went on a month long, 9,200 cross country tour (pix - http://www.mklsportster.com/shortwayround.htm ). I've ridden both the new R bike and hers. Yes, the new one is lighter and has a nicer instrument cluster. It's even nicer looking, in my opinion. It's also close to $14,000.00. By contrast, Terri's R was bought for $7,500.00 in absolutely showroom condition with only 5,000 miles on it, and again that's with ABS. That was last year - now they're under $7k. So if money is no object, sure, get the new R. But likely the question you have is: Is the new R THAT much better so as to cost twice as much? After riding both, I'd say definitely not.

-MKL

milesandmiles

I didn't think 70 lbs distributed throughout the bike would be THAT detrimental myself, but I'm used to heavey bikes. I'm sure it makes a difference, just not an extra $7,000 difference. Maybe I'll have her wait until 2011 to get an 07 cheap. grin.gif

If $$$$ is no object, get the R 1200.

A marked improvement IMO.

There's also a lowered version of the F 800 ST that will be produced.

Best wishes.

KingBiscuit

I had an 2000 r1150r. Bike seemed much lighter than my 04 RT. Did not have ABS, it was an option. Bike handled very well...I really liked it. Did Deal's gap 2 up with no problem. The brakes were never a problem.

For what it's worth,

Dan

About a month after Carrie (nicewife) & I were maried in 2002, we bought a pair of BMW scoots. Hers was a R-1150-R, it had ABS, & heated grips. We put on the medium sized BMW windshield, saddlebag mounts & bags plus the tail-rack. Carrie is about 5'6" and had little trouble moving that bike around. In fact, it was easier to move the BMW because it was lower than the Aprilia "Pegaso" 650 she traded in. She rode the Roadster all over (6 states) for 2 years until it was wasted in a crash. She alomost replaced it with the same model, but she didn't like the 2004 color choices. Now she rides a R-1150-RS.

Yeah, bein' from New Jersey and all, we just aren't used to all the "DANGER - BEARS & RATTLESNAKES" signs you guys have out in the midwest. I think I need braces.... lmao.gif

-MKL

Archived