IGNORED

Tire removal

Jitryd

Nope, but what do you want to know?

Rear tire:

1. remove the cover in the middle of the wheel

2. remove the 4 bolts holding the wheel on

3. pull, kick, and curse until you get it out from between the brake caliper and exhaust (its really not that bad)

Front wheel:

1. remove the calipers (hang them up out of the way with string or zip ties)

2. disconnect the speedo cable from the drive unit (1 phillips head screw)

3. remove the front fender (4 allen bolts)

4. stick a thin screw driver through the two holes on the axle (throttle side of the bike)

5. break the bolt loose on the clutch side of the axle and back it out

6. slowly pull the axle out from the throttle side using the thin screw driver to twist the axle while pulling (while being carefull to catch the speedo drive on the clutch side, and the spacer on the throttle side)

that should about do it.

it is a good idea to secure the center stand while working on your wheels so the bike doesn't accidently get bumped off (a tow strap attached to the center stand, and wrapped around the front forks works well.

When working on the front, make sure the back is supported.

When working on the back, make sure the front is supported

Two corrections,

No need to disconnect cable from speedo drive. The drive unit will hang there on the cable with no problems.

Before pulling on the axle, loosen the pinch bolts at the bottom of the fork tubes.

Let us know if you need torques for reinstalling the fasteners.

That's what I needed. Looking at a more economical way to get tires replaced. Driving 1hr to the BMW dealer to pay through the nose is excessive. I'm not talented enough to do it myself but I'm sure I could possibly save some cost by just delivering the wheel instead of the whole bike.

Two corrections,

No need to disconnect cable from speedo drive. The drive unit will hang there on the cable with no problems.

Before pulling on the axle, loosen the pinch bolts at the bottom of the fork tubes.

Let us know if you need torques for reinstalling the fasteners.

Ahh yes......forgot about those pesky pinch bolts. thumbsup.gif

The speedo drive is personal preference. For me, that is when I pull it apart and lube the cable.

Learn to do it yourself. Not that hard. I just ordered tires from the web for my RT $120 front and $135 rear, Dunlop Qualifiers, no added freight. Think I will try a set of Bridgstones on my other RT, their new sport touring tire is $100 for the front and $120 rear. Between the internet prices and dealer charge + mount/balance bet it is $150 less or more. Plus I have a two hour one way drive to the dealer.

Archived