IGNORED

I've got a noisy injector. Is there any need to worry?

eddd

I recently changed my fuel filter and did a throttle body sync, as well as a throttle cable sync.

After completing the job, I noticed a clicking at idle which I have traced to the right injector. The left injector is not noticible at all. The clicking is noticible only at idle. Above idle you really can't hear it over the other normal engine sounds. The bike runs great at normal and above normal speeds.

A couple of things come to mind: one is that my idle is a little lower since the sync, and that may make it more noticible. Second: after you do any type of adjustments/work on you bike you are more sensitve to new sounds and other sensations.

Bottom line:

1. Is this injector an issue?

2. Did the sync have anything to do with this noise

3. I'm leaving on an extended trip July 15, and need to know if I have to do anything before that.

The bike has 72,500 miles on it, 8,000 which I have put on without any problems.

Thanks in advance.

Are you certain that it's the injector? I ask because there is a very common issue with a ticking sound from the right throttle body caused by the the throttle actuator banging against the idle stop screw. It's often very noticeable at idle but goes away as the throttle is advanced. If that's what it really is then no real need to be concerned about it unless there is some other attendant problem (such as a vacuum leak at the throttle shaft), otherwise... TADT (or most of them at least.)

More than likely your right throttle is not resting on the stop at idle. When adjusting the throttle bodies that have the cross-over cable (like yours) you have to put some slack in the throttle cable at the left throttle body before adjusting the right. Check out the IBMWR site for the proper procedure.

I recently changed my fuel filter and did a throttle body sync, as well as a throttle cable sync.

After completing the job, I noticed a clicking at idle which I have traced to the right injector. The left injector is not noticible at all. The clicking is noticible only at idle. Above idle you really can't hear it over the other normal engine sounds. The bike runs great at normal and above normal speeds.

A couple of things come to mind: one is that my idle is a little lower since the sync, and that may make it more noticible. Second: after you do any type of adjustments/work on you bike you are more sensitve to new sounds and other sensations.

Bottom line:

1. Is this injector an issue?

2. Did the sync have anything to do with this noise

3. I'm leaving on an extended trip July 15, and need to know if I have to do anything before that.

The bike has 72,500 miles on it, 8,000 which I have put on without any problems.

Thanks in advance.

Ed, fuel injectors do make noise.. How much noise depends on a lot of things such as fuel pressure, injector pintle wear, voltage applied, etc.. If you have one injector rattling more then the other it could be a worn injector, or the other (quiet one) could be bad or plugging up..

Maybe run some Techron through the fuel system & if that doesn’t help look to make sure you didn’t pinch the fuel return line (or not connect it properly)..

Are you positive it’s the fuel injector making the noise (they do make some noise) & not the R/H TBI throttle plate shaft rattling (those are a known issue on the oil heads).. Try grabbing the TBI cable cam with your hand to see if the noise subsides.. They will make lots of noise at idel/low RPM (IF) you left the the R/H throttle cable a little tight (no slack)..

Twisty

Are you certain that it's the injector? I ask because there is a very common issue with a ticking sound from the right throttle body caused by the the throttle actuator banging against the idle stop screw. It's often very noticeable at idle but goes away as the throttle is advanced. If that's what it really is then no real need to be concerned about it unless there is some other attendant problem (such as a vacuum leak at the throttle shaft), otherwise... TADT (or most of them at least.)

You get the gold star. Even with my homemade stethescope I was fooled. I listened more closely to the frequency of the left injector and realized the frequency of the noise on the right side wasn't fast enough to be an injector. I check your suggestion and that is exactly what it is. I have a feeling it was there before, but you know how once you hear something you can really focus in on that noise.

Thanks to the others who replied. This forum is truly a remarkable resource. Such a wealth of knowledge, and all just for the asking! thumbsup.gifclap.gif

Oh well, now to reinstall the tupperware, again. frown.gif

It may be a common problem but it really means that your throttle synch was not done correctly. You need to put some slack in the system from the left side and re-do the throttle body synch. Again, I recommend that you read the throttle body synch procedure on the IBMWR site and follow it before you put on the tupperwear.

(

It may be a common problem but it really means that your throttle synch was not done correctly. You need to put some slack in the system from the left side and re-do the throttle body synch. Again, I recommend that you read the throttle body synch procedure on the IBMWR site and follow it before you put on the tupperwear.

Bob, not necessarily.. If the cam is rattling on the stop screw probably due to no cable slack but I have owned 2 oil head boxers now that rattled even with cable slack & that is/was due to loose throttle shaft in the R/H TBI bushing (both very low mileage when the rattle started)

Easy to tell though.. If it still rattles on very light throttle pull-away it is throttle shaft play,, if it ONLY rattles at curb idle but goes quiet on very light throttle pull-away then it is probably rattling on the idle stop screw..

Twisty

Bob, not necessarily.. If the cam is rattling on the stop screw probably due to no cable slack but I have owned 2 oil head boxers now that rattled even with cable slack & that is/was due to loose throttle shaft in the R/H TBI bushing (both very low mileage when the rattle started)

Easy to tell though.. If it still rattles on very light throttle pull-away it is throttle shaft play,, if it ONLY rattles at curb idle but goes quiet on very light throttle pull-away then it is probably rattling on the idle stop screw..

Twisty

I'll buy that.

Thanks for the suggestion. I did use the procedure from IBMWR to do the synch.

FWIW, for those times when the noise really IS from an injector, it may be because the O-ring has gotten hard, transmitting more noise. In that case, new O-rings are a cheap and easy fix.

Archived