IGNORED

Mondays S---

Dennis Andress

You're right Dennis, it's about people and our interaction with them...

blueyelling.jpg

We had a great little chat lmao.gif! BTW, this game was on a Monday.

Photo's from the Great Yorkshire Bike Show!!

What a wheelie!!

IMGP0047.jpg

Purple Helmets Motorcycle Display Team from the Isle of Man

IMGP0062.jpg

Bum Pianist

IMGP0083.jpg

Purple Helmets!!

IMGP0095.jpg

Cedar Key sunset

DSC00820.jpg

Cedar Key IV will be in January.

May have to do a "test run" sooner. thumbsup.gif

bakerzdosen

OK, I'll jump in. A few random pics from Thailand for this week. (Which would probably be more appealing in winter, but hey...)

thai1.jpg

The bluest water I've ever dived in:

thai2.jpg

thai3.jpg

thai4.jpg

thai5.jpg

More sunsets, since that seems to be a theme for the day. These go back to slide film that I scanned back when I first got a scanner. The first is Wupatki national monument in AZ. the second is in Jasper NP, Canada.

178743820-O.jpg

178743903-O-0.jpg

Francois_Dumas

This should make anybody's day better! Bikes on Passo di Pordoi in the Italian Dolomites....

(... and yes, we're home! wave.gif )

180991646-L.jpg

I spent the last week in WV at a COG Rally. First photo is a small farm in the boonies.

183512079-M.jpg

This next photo is a stop we made on the way home. Falling Waters. Frank Loyd Wright designed summer cabin.

183526691-M.jpg

Bill P

Future site of NE Tech Daze. With future super-model!

Monday.jpg

Now I just need a sign that says "GS Parking only!" (and maybe a new GS???)

Here's two:

The 1988 Sun and Fun fly In, Lakeland, FL. Talk about community service!

sunnfun.jpg

My son who turns 5 tomorrow

nate_grad.jpg

Well, I'm pretty sure that I'm not going to get the photos resized in time to do this on Monday, so I'll just say that I've got a couple of pages of Peru pics over here (including the same obligatory Macchu Piccu shot). One of these days I'll add more from my more recent trips, but alas, it's a cool place in many ways...

I'm liking all these ruins today.

Heres a few from Chichen Itza. Unfortunately, all my Mesa Verde shots are on film, guess It's time to go back there.

Chichen Itza is very impressive. The tour guide explained the symbology for a lot of these shots, but he talked for about 2 hours. I’m not writing that long!. The feathered snake is Kulkulcan/Quetzalcoatl. The Maya say Kulkulcan. The snake is integral to birth and death and the symbology is intrinsic to the ball courts and game, which is about fertility and renewal. The pyramid is sun and the temple of venus lays at its feet. They are forlorn lovers. At the spring equinox the sun moves across the face of the pyramid and the pattern of shadows and light forms the snake moving down the staircase to the ground. It takes about 30 minutes. At the fall equinox something happens with the moon light – but I didn’t really get that story. There are plenty of websites if you want to look this stuff up. I was mostly impressed by the architecture. It is so detailed and refined. Everything is decorated. All done by hand. Local limestone, no wheeled vehicles and no beasts of burden.

A warrior in ball court dress, on the ball court.

183704278-O.jpg

The entrance to the ball court.

183704476-O.jpg

The observatory:

183704399-O.jpg

183704419-O.jpg

183704448-O.jpg

183704435-O.jpg

The Pyramid (built over older pyramids, still inside, but freestanding):

183704297-O.jpg

Temple of Venus, I was struck by how feminine it seems to us today:

183704314-O.jpg

The Warrior's Court:

183704382-O.jpg

Ok, so I was impreseed at the architectural detail, use of curve, decoration, layering, edge dressings, etc, but what I really wanted to know, as an environmental professional, given that they had a shallow underground water system that could easily be contaminated from the surface, and something like a million people, what did they do with their waste? I've never been able to find mention of this. My mom's fiance is an historian with an interest in ancient Maya, and he has no idea. So I leave you with a mystery.

tikal was awesome! I remember it from the 70's when we were there. I will have to scan some of our photos (on honest to God film!) and get them ready. thumbsup.gif