IGNORED

Price?

Bill767

I'm selling my VFR today and heading back to the BMW dealer to negoiate on a new RT. Wondering since I'm new to BMW motorcycles, do they deal on price? Can I expect realistically to get any kind of deal, or since they are so few and far between do they sell at list period. Obviously, I'll figure this out when I get there, but some input would be welcome.

Well, Bill, how about some input in your profile?

Depending on your location, there are plenty of dealerships that sell below MSRP.

Some even offer discounted purchases for as long as you own your bike.

Most should allow you to ride the bike beforehand.

I could go on, but unless we know where you are...

wave.gif

Welcome, Bill

I just bought my R12RT a couple of months ago in Houston & Gulf Coast BMW worked with me pretty hard to make the sale.

Be sure to ask about any "specials" that are ongoing that can save you money / score you some accessories. Good luck!

Welcome to the site!! thumbsup.gif

Let us know what part of the country you're from; makes it easier to share more applicable information. confused.gif

In any event, we visited relatives (hers) in Rhode Island last year. With time on my hands, I visited a Dealership in North Kingstown, Rhode Island and spent a few hours poking around & chatting up the folks there.

Razee Motorcycle Center is a multi-line shop, everything from a full line of Japanese brands to Ducati's, BMW's, even Scooters! I think Moto Guzzi's too.

Seems BMW isn't a big seller for them; they were very willing to "deal" on the price. At the time, (late fall '06) they still had a new "05 R1200RT on the floor and (supposedly) a '06 in the crate.

First impression, it appeared to be a nice enough shop; don't know anything about them except that the day I was there, the salesman was willing to negotiate price on the BMW's.

Good luck in your search.

Sorry about that. I'm in the Atlanta area right now. Already been to a dealer here and test rode a RT, GT, and a GS. Plan to go back and take a longer ride on the RT before I make up my mind. Been riding a VFR, but want to do more 2-up riding in the future. The dealer here does not have an RT with ESA on it right now, so would have to either order it or get it from someone else.

Aluminum_Butt

I would think most dealers would be willing to cut you some slack off MSRP on an RT. There's no shortage of them. I've dealt with two dealers in the Chicago area, and always managed to get $500-$1000 off list. That said, their margin is much slimmer than that of a car dealer.

It's common to ask them to throw in the 600 mile check. That's probably worth $200-$300 to you.

I've also had good luck with getting them to sell me accessories at cost+10% at the time I was purchasing the bike. If you want that luggage rack, riding suit, or whatever, the best time to deal on it is when you're buying the bike, IMHO.

it really depends on the dealer and model, if it's a hot seller than you can forget getting any sort of discount. some dealers will wheel and deal on almost any bike and some dealers won't budge an inch. when i purchased my 06 S i visited 4 dealerships and all but one were willing to offer some type of discount. i ended up getting 1000 off msrp and a generous offer on my 2003 KRS. i was fortunate in that there are 4 bmw shops within an hour or so drive of my home which creates competition. in the end you can always make an offer to the dealer that you think is fair and the dealer can accept or make a counter offer. good luck

Sorry about that. I'm in the Atlanta area right now. Already been to a dealer here and test rode a RT, GT, and a GS. Plan to go back and take a longer ride on the RT before I make up my mind. Been riding a VFR, but want to do more 2-up riding in the future. The dealer here does not have an RT with ESA on it right now, so would have to either order it or get it from someone else.

Hmm, hope not double posting...

I am also in Atlanta, and looking at getting my first BMW (currently on an Aprilia). Can you tell me which store you have been talking to? There are two pretty much the same distance from my home. Thanks.

Well, just sold my VFR! Now on to some serious shopping. I've been at the dealer in Marietta, BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta. Nice people, no problem getting a test ride, but I haven't talked price at all. Since they are closed today, I guess tomorrow I'll be testing the waters and getting a longer ride. I have all but made up my mind to get an RT. Taken the ST1300 out of the running, and just about taken the FJR out, especially since I can't get a ride, and I really think I want a BMW!

Jim VonBaden

Bill, you are in a great place to buy a bike. BMW Atlanta is a fine dealer. Talk with Bobby there, and tell him I sent you! thumbsup.gif

Jim cool.gif

Well, just sold my VFR! Now on to some serious shopping. I've been at the dealer in Marietta, BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta. Nice people, no problem getting a test ride, but I haven't talked price at all. Since they are closed today, I guess tomorrow I'll be testing the waters and getting a longer ride. I have all but made up my mind to get an RT. Taken the ST1300 out of the running, and just about taken the FJR out, especially since I can't get a ride, and I really think I want a BMW!

Bill,

I live in Charlotte but purchased my 07 R1200RT from BMWMOA. I first got a quote from BMW-Daytona which was about $1500 less than MSRP. BMW-Atlanta met the offer as soon as I mentioned it! Dealt with Jon Davis--nice guy!

Bob

If it's what you want, get it.

We're not going to ride it, unless you insist. grin.gif

The bikes are built in Germany, not Atlanta. tongue.gif

Obviously people deal w/Blue Moon or they would go out of business.

Trade the Road King and be happy.

Sell the Road King, buy the beemer and be happy.

Best wishes. lurker.gif

I will get what I want, just wondered if anyone had dealt with this dealer, and as to the Road King, I don't know what you're talking about.

And there are several car dealers that I wouldn't want to deal with either and just staying in business isn't much proof that they are sucessful. JMHO

If BMWOA will match the deal I would buy from them. The fact that they help out local racers like Nate Kern would be enough for me, the owner Bobby is a nice helpful guy and very involved with the online community. I have dealt with Blue Moon and there not bad guys over there, although I had nothing but some tires mounted.

I will get what I want, just wondered if anyone had dealt with this dealer, and as to the Road King, I don't know what you're talking about.

That would be another Bill. dopeslap.gif

A surfeit of Bill's posting this week. grin.gif

Staying in business is a sign of success. Stay around here long enough and you'll read good and bad about most things.

95% positive, 5% not, but the 5% sometimes get really loud.

BMW MOA (BMW Motorcycles of Atlanta), not to be confused with BMWMOA (BMW Motorcycle Owners of America) and Blue Moon both have many satisfied customers.

Robert/Bob Sr., and Bobby at MOA have a positive reputation.

So does Blue Moon.

If you're just shopping price, there are ways to do that.

If you are looking to establish a relationship with a particular dealership, only you can determine that.

Good luck, sorry to confuse my Bill's. crazy.gif

Hope you post soon about your new beemer. thumbsup.gif

ElevenFifty

+1 for BMW Atlanta and Bobby. I still do most of my own work but these guys have stepped up on a couple of warranty issues and their service has been good. I check parts and accessories prices on the iNet but almost always pay a small premium to support my local dealer ... good folks!

Shop for a good price and give them a chance to meet it - you are buying a new bike with a warranty - KNOWING your dealer and having them know you, is wise.

Well, I did it! Called BMWOA again to see if someway they could find what I wanted since they were the ones who had answered my many, many questions, gave me numerous test rides, and the place that made me feel comfortable. All in all a very pleasant place to visit. Well, they found what I wanted, so they are getting it shipped to them, and probably before the end of next week, I will be the proud owner of a new RT! Thanks for the help up to now, and I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions in the future.

wrestleantares

Staying in business is a sign of success.

Or:

-A sign that you are the only dealer in a 60 mile radius.

-A sign that your other models in the multi dealership keep you in business - especially if you are mostly mail ordering the custom cruisers

-A sign that you haven't run out of the money you've been bleeding yet.

Staying in business is a sign of success.

Or:

-A sign that you are the only dealer in a 60 mile radius.

or, an example of excellent business plan with regard to location

-A sign that your other models in the multi dealership keep you in business - especially if you are mostly mail ordering the custom cruisers

or, an example of a multi-facet business plan that allows for growth and contraction in product lines while maintaining/expanding customer base

-A sign that you haven't run out of the money you've been bleeding yet.

short term, perhaps

long term, doubtful

One way to find out, look around for one of the many places on the map w/out a BMW dealership.

Open one.

That would test theory one.

Decide whether to be single or multi-line dealership to test theory two.

Don't have any money, so can't tell you about theory three. grin.gif

wave.gif

Archived