IGNORED

Brake Light = alwasy on

garyw

My brakelight is always on. Could this be a brake light switch problem? Are there separate ones for front and rear? If it is a swtich problem - how do you tell which on it is?

My brakelight is always on. Could this be a brake light switch problem? Are there separate ones for front and rear? If it is a swtich problem - how do you tell which on it is?

Gary, probably a stuck brake light switch (try pushing the rear pedal up & the front lever forward & see if the light flickers or goes out) .. To help you any more than that we will have to know what model & what year bike you are riding..

Twisty

Don't know what bike you're talking about, but most likely the rear brake switch not releasing contact....can be bent back slightly to open the circuit.

hmm....if it was the switch and assuming that your bike is equipped with the EVO breaking system, then the EVO initialization would fail and you would only have the residual brakes. Do you have a Signal Minder installed by any change?

This is too weird. My first name is Gary and last name starts with a W also and I have had problems with the brake light always being on on my R1100RT. First time it required a new rear brake light switch. Easy to replace by just loosening the foot peg plate. Next time it just needed to have the front switch metal part bent slightly.

What bike?

You might want to fill out your profile here so we can better address you and your questions.

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously, I'm not the OP, but I'm having a similar problem.....

I have a 1999 R1100RT with no brake system modifications, and my brake light intermitantly stays on. I have been able to tie it to the rear brake, as I can pull up on or hit the foot pedal to get the light to go out. Sometimes, it takes a few "stabs" of the pedal to go out (like it's sticking more than usual). Also, sometimes it will just come on by itself - seems to be caused by bumps or vibrations from going down the road with no brake pedal actuation.

I have kinda assumed it was a sticking switch. I had it in for service a while back and mentioned it to them. The tech said that it went away after they changed the fluid so maybe it was caused by dirt or dirty fluid. I was skeptical, and disappointed that they didn't investigate further, but due to it's intermittant nature, understood that if it wasn't acting up when they had it, they'd just be throwing parts at it. The new fluid didn't fix it.

I would like to get this fixed, so any help that you can offer would be great. My Service Manual doesn't mention anything about the brake switch, so I'm not sure where it actually is or how to "bend the metal part". Thanks.

duckbubbles

My money is on a sticky switch on the rear brake pedal. It is more exposed to whatever is flying off the ground. Maybe some lubrication on the switch actuator plunger will help. Follow the wires from it to a small connector and unplug it when the light is stuck on (ignition on) if the light goes out, that is your problem. But a replacement isn't too expensive or hard to install. Remember, if your brake light is on all the time, when you are actually braking, that 3-ton SUV on your butt won't know it. He/she'll think the road needs a repaving and never slow down.

Frank

Archived