IGNORED

shifting smoothly now, redline shockproof

barncobob

put shockproof in rear drive and tranny. can really notice a much smoother shift now. im happy with the results.

put shockproof in rear drive and tranny. can really notice a much smoother shift now. im happy with the results.

Barncobob, I see you have an 1150RT?.. Did you use the Shock Proof heavy or just the standard shock proof?

If you used shock proof heavy keep us posted on how it works long term.. Especially if the final drive pukes the heavy onto the rear tire at speed in cold weather (my 02 1150RT did due to that heavy getting real thick in cold weather) .. Also keep us up to date on how the shifting works out as that shock proof works it’s way into the trans shifting slider splines (it takes a while to fully displace the original gear oil in the trans sliding part areas).. I had the shock proof heavy in my 1150RT trans for quite a while but the 1st to 2nd upshift became more & more difficult to shift without missing 2nd as time went by so I want back to 75W140 synthetic gear oil.. Now my old 1100_ 5 speed really liked the shock proof heavy so there seems to be some discrepancies on what trans likes what gear oil..

Twisty

If you used shock proof heavy keep us posted on how it works long term.. Especially if the final drive pukes the heavy onto the rear tire at speed in cold weather
Yes indeed. I've seen more than one BMW FD that was foaming out the top so bad you'd thing the thing had rabies. IMHO the product line is 'poison' in general.

I used to run the shockproof heavy in my 1100 transmission - it really liked it.

But I wouldn't use it for a FD either.

I did too, and my bike now shifts like a Honda; silky smooth!

Of course, I did have the transmission rebuilt (and gears undercut) by Tom Cutter only 600 miles after I changed to the RedLine Heavy, i.e. after I lost 2nd and 3rd gears. eek.gif

I'm sure that Tom's work made some difference. No way of knowing for sure, but it's possible that if I hadn't switched to RedLine, I might still be suffering with that clunky OEM Getrag transmission.

YMMV.

No way of knowing for sure, but it's possible that if I hadn't switched to RedLine, I might still be suffering with that clunky OEM Getrag transmission.
Given what you just went though, now that's a positive outlook... grin.gif

Redline Heavy Shockproof in my tranny really improved the shifting, even over the BMW synthetic gear oil. I see no reason to use it in the rear drive, plus some have reported here of foaming out the rear drive breather.

Archived