IGNORED

GPS on a shelf bad vibes.

chrisz

I've finally affixed the SP-III to a shelf over the gauges on my RT. Took it for a ride, and it works for the most part, (hadn't fallen off this time), but I did note that there was a great deal of vibration on the unit. The vibes when going over uneven road were so bad it was hard to read the display. This can't be good for the unit. Has anyone who mounted their GPS on a shelf also experience the vibes? The shelf if mounted with 4 panel screws.

Additionally, I can't get the voice prompts to work when hooked up to my Pro-1 Autocom. I've plugged the GPS voice prompt cable to the GPS accessory 3.5mm socket, but no volume/voice prompts. Any suggestions on what the issue may be? The MP3 works fine.

The BMR shelfs (and similar) often aren't sturdy enough to allow for relatively heavy devices, but flex of the shelf can be remedied by attaching a stiffening bar under the bottom. Some aluminum stock from the hardware store works well and after this mod things will be much more stable. There will still be some movement caused by flex of the upper fairing itself and there's not much that can be done about that, but stiffening the shelf will take care of most of the problem. I have a 2610 and a V1 on a BMR shelf with the above mod and it is working pretty well for me, vibration isn't really a problem.

I found that the RCU shelf had significant vibration. I sold the RCU and bought a BMR shelf which solved the vibration problem for me.

John Bentall
I've finally affixed the SP-III to a shelf over the gauges on my RT. Took it for a ride, and it works for the most part, (hadn't fallen off this time), but I did note that there was a great deal of vibration on the unit. The vibes when going over uneven road were so bad it was hard to read the display. This can't be good for the unit. Has anyone who mounted their GPS on a shelf also experience the vibes? The shelf if mounted with 4 panel screws.

Additionally, I can't get the voice prompts to work when hooked up to my Pro-1 Autocom. I've plugged the GPS voice prompt cable to the GPS accessory 3.5mm socket, but no volume/voice prompts. Any suggestions on what the issue may be? The MP3 works fine.

1) If the road is that bumpy, you should be looking where you're going and not at the GPS. Failing that, slow down to a speed where it is possible to see the GPS.

2) The SPIII is built to withstand these road shocks & vibrations - there are no moving parts. So don't worry.

3) You could minimise the vibrations through additional bracing as suggested above.

4) Does the SPIII give voice prompts through the in-car speaker accessory plug? Have you got the SPIII set to maximium volume? As you adjust the volume the unit should speak the volume settings, if I remember. I never had a moments problem with my SPIII/Pro-M1 set-up.

Rocket_Cowboy

My BMR shelf has been extremely sturdy. The only vibration I notice on the shelf is the left winglet that holds the V1. Just the way it's bolted to the shelf, it will start to "flag" at certain RPM ranges (mostly just at idle).

My apologies folks, I was actually referring to the RCU shelf in my post, not BMR. The BMR may well be sturdier (and I think use more attachment points) so it may not require any additional stiffening.

Bill_Walker

If you're worried about the vibration, get the Gadget Guy mount. It's expensive, and a bit more trouble to install, but it's the best solution going.

My apologies folks, I was actually referring to the RCU shelf in my post, not BMR. The BMR may well be sturdier (and I think use more attachment points) so it may not require any additional stiffening.

I thought you had made a mistake. I just can't see the BMR shelf vibrating because of a GPS unit. I have a Garmin 276C on the BMR shelf and I have a Roady 2 on an extension arm. Neither one of them vibrate.

Archived