IGNORED

Fuel Gage

DaveyMac

I know this has been discussed, BUT for the life of me I can't seem to find it.

Jamie (KMG_365) had a step by step post to repair a collapsed tube in the tank of an RT.

I have a gage not reading the top bar for very long after fill up, sometimes not at all. Did a search but it must be to old of a post.

I know this has been discussed, BUT for the life of me I can't seem to find it.

Jamie (KMG_365) had a step by step post to repair a collapsed tube in the tank of an RT.

I have a gage not reading the top bar for very long after fill up, sometimes not at all. Did a search but it must be to old of a post.

Davey, the usual sign of a crushed tank sender unit is a non operational fuel gauge (stuck at one spot).. If your gauge works OK otherwise but is just quick to fall off the top bar then it is probably not a crushed sender tube.. For what it’s worth my 1150RT wil drop off the top fuel bar very quickly if I don’t take my time & really force the tank all the way full of fuel (keep working at it after tank seems full)

Here is the link I think you are looking for though..

Twisty

Fuel Sender Repair Thread

I have a gage not reading the top bar for very long after fill up, sometimes not at all.
This is actually a very common issue and as Twisty noted probably not caused by a collapsed sender. You might have some success in disassembling everything and cleaning the contacts and wiper... if you feel it is worth the effort.

That's the thread I was searching for, & was unaware of Mick's approach to remedy the problem.

I don't know confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif maybe its me

but that's the hardest search function I've used on a message board. eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif

And yes I've read this Thread

beemer_me_up

Depending on how much fuel I want to force in, I will get from 3 to 15 miles on the top bar. No big deal as I tend to worry more about the last bar staying on. Guess its just the nature of the beast. wave.gif

Wow, seems I'm experiencing all the same sort of things that are rearing their ugly heads on this site.

I gots the MeToo's. As long as the other bars are working I can ignore the top bar. It only means the tank is less than completely full.

We can all ride comforted by the thought that we are not alone in our querky failure laden adventure.

Kinda makes you wonder if the bikes were designed to go beyond the 3 year 36K miles warrantee. wave.gif

I found a pretty fool proof indicator of how full your tank is...

It's called your eyes. Just look in while filling If you got it as high as the ring your pretty much all filled up. lurker.giflmao.gif

Ahhh So Glasshoppah! This eyeballing method is NOT a foolproof method eek.gif

Next time you fill 'er up to the top, tip the bike fore and aft and wiggle it from side to side (I DO hope it's on the centrestand wink.gif) and I bet you'll see the level drop thumbsup.gif.

I'm not so sure about that. When it gets to the top of the ring and the pump says 7.28gal, no amount of shaking or wiggling will get anymore in there unless you tip it far enough to slosh some out.

SAAB93driver

It's kind of a shame some of the things we have to put up with or learn to accept, nobody would accept this kind of quirk in a new BMW car.

My gauge drops 2 bars shortly after fill-up. During the last Torrey I was down to 2 bars after 150 miles. When all my bars go out, 25 miles later the light turns on. Go figure.

I'll have it checked, it's under warranty.

My gauge drops 2 bars shortly after fill-up. During the last Torrey I was down to 2 bars after 150 miles. When all my bars go out, 25 miles later the light turns on. Go figure.

Marco, do you fill it on the center stand or side stand? Makes a difference..

Twisty

Ditto!

My top bar never shows up unless I've just filled up, I'm headed downhill...and braking! It used to work, up until my last service when the fuel filter was replaced...wonder what may have happened.

I just watch for the low fuel light to come on and ride another 25 to 35 miles. I usually then fill up the tank somewhere between 5.8 to 6 gallons.

FWIW:

Fuel gauges and idiot lights on BMW's have always sucked...Do yourself a favor...Don't sweat the small stuff, use the gauge as a general reminder of fuel, but do as I and others do...always top off fuel and watch your mileage on odometer and/or tripmeter..If you have an RT, think about fuel at 275 miles.( planning of course your fuel stops according to where fuel is available.)

Spend your time on more important things, like farkles!

MB>

Mine falls off the top bar within 10 miles or less of fill up. Has done so since new. I start looking earnestly for a gas station at 250 miles, and generally ignore the gas guage.

Quirky ... yes. My warning light sometimes comes on with two bars left. The light is VERY bright !!

Archived