IGNORED

California Riders Beware!

Lawman

I put this in Ride Well because it's a warning for all riders in California to be on your toes!

My wife just left Texas headed for Los Angeles where she will take Highway 1 north to Eureka. She will then take 299 east to I 5 and then south back to Los Angeles before heading back to Texas..She'll be driving a silver Mazda Miata hardtop with the top down..She will be looking at everything except the road and will be accompanied by her mother which will add to the distraction..Riders be on the lookout for these crazy wild eyed women! You've been warned.. grin.gif

Bill_Walker

She can't be much worse than the minivan driver we got stuck behind going south on Highway 1 near Big Sur on our way home from Torrey.

He slowed almost to a stop at the apex of every left turn so everyone in the van could admire the view! We finally figured it out when we could see the people in the van pointing into the distance at each corner! Unfortunately, there was a line of 5 or 6 cars just ahead of them, too, so passing was quite difficult.

You seem pretty confident that she doesn't read this forum. If you are wrong on that, you will be the one needing emergency medical care. Hmmm, maybe it would be worth something to you for me not to email her. smile.gif

Firefight911

That is just too funny!!

If she's in the neighborhood of Sacramento, have her look us up. We'd love to take her to lunch or dinner and show her this post! lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

..She'll be driving a silver Mazda Miata hardtop with the top down.. grin.gif

If it is a "hardtop" how can the top be down? blush.gif Let us know b/c we need to avoid her.

If it is a "hardtop" how can the top be down?

She just pushes a little button and it disappears! clap.gif

Is there a button for the mother? lmao.gif

If it is a "hardtop" how can the top be down?

She just pushes a little button and it disappears! clap.gif

Is there a button for the mother? lmao.gif

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

Couchrocket

Thanks for the warning.....

But, I just gotta tell you (her) that unless she has some "reason" for taking I-5 all the way down the valley... well, she shouldn't. She should keep on 299 east of Redding, and go to Reno then down the 395 toward home. Much nicer drive, IMO. The I-5 pretty much sucketh for anything other than hauling butt and making miles.

Thanks for the warning.....

But, I just gotta tell you (her) that unless she has some "reason" for taking I-5 all the way down the valley... well, she shouldn't. She should keep on 299 east of Redding, and go to Reno then down the 395 toward home. Much nicer drive, IMO. The I-5 pretty much sucketh for anything other than hauling butt and making miles.

+1

Straight, flat and nothing to look at. One of the roads I hate most in California. I avoid that stretch of the 5 whenever possible, unless like previously stated I need to make miles in a short amount of time.

Bill_Walker

+1

Straight, flat and nothing to look at. One of the roads I hate most in California. I avoid that stretch of the 5 whenever possible, unless like previously stated I need to make miles in a short amount of time.

+2. You read all these futurist articles about "automated highways" where you'll hit a button and the car will drive itself, but they always talk about 'em being in urban areas. And I always think, "Forget that! Give it to me on I-5 through the Central Valley, so I don't have to worry about trying to stay awake!"

skinny_tom (aka boney)
Thanks guys...I'm calling her now! thumbsup.gif

They should also check the "Bovine Bakery" in Point Reyes Station (right on hwy 1 north of SF) for the Muffin of the Day.

Now I do have to be on high alert if your wife will be coming down US395!

Time to......

Duck and cover! grin.gif

On a more serious tone, avoid Lake Tahoe, especially the south and west portion. I80 east to US395 should be OK.

There is currently a very nasty fire in progress between Falling Leaf Lake and South Lake Tahoe.

Firefight911
On a more serious tone, avoid Lake Tahoe, especially the south and west portion. I80 east to US395 should be OK.

There is currently a very nasty fire in progress between Falling Leaf Lake and South Lake Tahoe.

Hwy 50 from Pollock East through Tahoe is closed. Over 200 homes lost and very little containment so far.

Here's a brief update:

0615 hours

Briefing

220 structures damaged or destroyed

2500 acres burned

123 people housed in motels

People will not be allowed to re-enter the burn area

Fire line holding at high school but wind conditions could alter this situation.

Evacuation plans are being evaluated if needed.

Roadblocks and highway closures will be maintained.

Security of damaged areas will be the focus for law enforcement

Be alert for downed power lines and hazards from fire.

Archived