IGNORED

Mystery sidestand screw

Nevets

Can someone please tell me the purpose of the screw in the attached picture. I noticed it was loose, but it beats the heck out of me what its purpose is confused.gif

Also, what's a good way to remove and reattach the sidestand springs? Some kind of hook?

Thanks for any info thumbsup.gif

880764-IMG_0844.JPG.7427cf9b9e0d951558ec9511349715ec.JPG

Joe Frickin' Friday
Can someone please tell me the purpose of the screw in the attached picture. I noticed it was loose, but it beats the heck out of me what its purpose is confused.gif

You've got the super-frabjous police sidestand; that screw isn't on the standard model.

Also, what's a good way to remove and reattach the sidestand springs? Some kind of hook?

I've always grabbed the straight part with a vise-grips and then just brute-forced it. Smarter people here put the sidestand half-way down so the spring is at max extension, then they jam a bunch of pennies between the coils to keep it extended; put the sidestand all the way up or down then and the spring ought to fairly fall off on its own.

Gee, I just knew I was saving those pennies for a reason (and everyone here seems smarter than me!)...

The screw does not seem to be attached to anything?!?!?

duckbubbles

I've used a spring installation tool that is used to hook the springs on automotive drum brake systems. But pennies are cheaper.

Frank

Heres a WAG.......

An attachment point for a sidestand spring installation tool?????

Ahhhh, of course. Why didn't I think of that!

I did a little research, and found the tool that BMW sells to be used with it for removing the springs:

tools2.jpg

tongue.gif

what's a good way to remove and reattach the sidestand springs? Some kind of hook?

I have a T-handle spring hook but have found that a cable tie-wrap works just as good. It gets your fingers out of the way and can be used with a screwdriver as a T-handle if needed.

Eckhard Grohe

Just be careful pulling forward against the bike when it is on the center stand or the side stand for that matter. Not the case here. They have this wonderful tendency to roll forward, come off the center stand and then tip over. Hopefully away from you.

Put a ratchet tie down between the front wheel and the center stand when you know you may be pulling forward.

Just be careful pulling forward against the bike when it is on the center stand or the side stand for that matter. Not the case here. They have this wonderful tendency to roll forward, come off the center stand and then tip over. Hopefully away from you.

Put a ratchet tie down between the front wheel and the center stand when you know you may be pulling forward.

excellent point! thumbsup.gif

Smarter people here put the sidestand half-way down so the spring is at max extension, then they jam a bunch of pennies between the coils to keep it extended; put the sidestand all the way up or down then and the spring ought to fairly fall off on its own.

This is the way to go. Eliminates bloody knuckles. thumbsup.gif

Oh, and BTW.....thanks, Mitch for the Mojolever. Looks great leaning against the wall -- haven't had an chance to use it yet, though.

what's a good way to remove and reattach the sidestand springs? Some kind of hook?

I have been told that using a boot lace to pull the spring over the mounting point is the best way.

Archived