IGNORED

New Owner

Flash9677

The moon and the stars finally came into alignment, (summer solstice?), and I motored on over to Detroit BMW to buy a new K1200GT. With Gary's (the sales guy) insistence, we went on a nice 2 hour tour. After about an hour I found my wrists getting sore from my body weight falling foreward everytime I came off of the throttle, I found it very twitchy. I asked to switch bikes, he was riding an RT, and knew immediately that this was the bike. The ergos were great, the throttle response perfect, wind protection superb and even the stock seat felt right. A couple of hours, a pile of paper and a sad farwell to my Sportster later, a new, blue R1200RT was mine. clap.gif

John Bentall

Congratulations! My sentiments entirely.

Are you the first American to discover that if enough power is good, then more power is not necessarily better?

Welcome Robb and congrats on the new bike. What timing to have a RT and GT to test ride. I am glad you were able to buy the right bike for you. This is not the first time I have heard of people riding both and selecting the RT over the GT. As far as the seat being comfortable I think you must have been a bit "love struck" during the test ride and that's OK. Most of us find it ain't so good. Bottom line is you are going to love your RT. Learn to do the periodic maintenance at a tech day and you are completely set. Congratulations again and ENJOY your new bike!!

Congratulations! My sentiments entirely.

Are you the first American to discover that if enough power is good, then more power is not necessarily better?

no, I was the first so he must be second grin.gif

There just has to be something seriously wrong in a country where people think a Range Rover is the proper car to drive to the local hair dresser, a Ferrari is fun to drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic, and if you are really "someone" you will buy a Hummer or jack up a truck so high that the seat is at eye-level. Too much CAN be too much.

Congrats on the new ride.

Glad you found out which bike was best for you w/o having to trade in a new GT on another new bike. grin.gif

Welcome to the forum.

Congrats, must be nice. I like the new RT. What color did you get? I like the Sand beige. Got all the bells and whistles?

ISYHTRAH

Congrats!

I rented an RT for a day, and then got a ten mile test ride on the GT while my wife test road an RT. Felt exactly as you described on the GT. Hopped on the demo RT as my wife got off, went 300 yards, turned around and back the dealer. Like you, I opted for the RT.

I think the dealer that gave you a two hour test ride is to be commended. From everything I've heard some dealers won't allow a ride at all, and I was feeling lucky to have gotten to try both bikes.

Any way enjoy the ride.

Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.

Now for the answers to the questions... Pics coming as soon as I master attaching them.

Power: KInd of like the Three Bears, HD Road Glide - Too little power, K1200GT - Too much power, RT - Just Right grin.gif

I have the heated seats & grips, computer, top case, or should I say Steamer Trunk, Blue/Silver.

Gary actually insisted that I take an extended ride to make sure I was happy with the choice. Now, the fact that the day was gorgeous and he had to come along, had nothing to do with it. He was as suprized as I was that I changed my mind and went for the RT. I had test rode them both 2 months ago, (but only for 20 min.) and made the opposite decision. Nothing beats time in the saddle to know the nature of the mount.

The seat? Well, I am coming from a rigid mount Sportster, A.K.A. a paint shaker. "Seats? We don't need no stinkin' comfortable seats!" "If you don't piss blood for a couple of days after a 300 mile run, you ain't a man." The RT is an Epiphany.

My wife is still giving me the cold shoulder though. She loved that Harley. Mind you, she never got off without complaining of some sort of affliction. Sore butt, numb legs, bruised tail bone, hearing loss. She tells me, "but it isn't a Harley." So I've explained it this way;

True the RT is not the prettiest girl at the Ball, but she'll Waltz through a crowded dance floor with a grace and confidence that others can only immitate. And when the tempo picks up, hold her close and she'll do a Tango that so quick and sure and seductive, that the others will be left on the sidelines trying to catch their breath.

tricklizard

Sweet,

I bought a silver RT just before the blue one came in (wife wanted blue, but I’m too impatient). I have been impressed with the guys at BMW Detroit so far (Gary and Chris are the only ones I’ve worked with though). I have an 80 shovel head that will rattle your teeth out. My wife refused to ever sit on it again and LOVES the RT so it was an easy sell. I cant say enough good about the RT, 2700 miles and counting. Congrats on the new ride. If you are ever up near Oxford, I’ll put some miles on with you. Take it easy

Rex

Archived