IGNORED

Chicago BMW-Beware

bluejoeblue

bluejoeblue

I ordered the Navigator wire harness almost two months ago from Chicago BMW. Although my credit card was charged, the part was never shipped. I have sent multiple emails with no response. Either this part is backordered or I have been taken for a ride.

Either this part is backordered or I have been taken for a ride.
Why don't you just call them and ask which it is?
I have been taken for a ride.

Um, no.

Call Mike Abt, General Manager, at 773-274-6820. I believe their website lists an 800 number if you want that.

Mike is a good guy and will help you with this.

Be nice.

Why the hell do people come here and bitch about stuff like this.

Do they need someone to hold their hand and coddle them?

By your own admission you didn't pick up the phone yet warn us all Beware!

Come on man

dopeslap.gif

Aluminum_Butt

Please don't dispense unqualified advice.

In fairness to the OP, there have been several threads and posts here that imply Chicago BMW has some issues when it comes to turning around orders. I've bought from them twice - once, my order came within a few days. The other time, I had to call multiple times and it took six weeks. Putting 2 and 2 together, I'm pretty sure they had my item on the second order sitting there, but it took some pestering to get it moved up to the "I'll actually box it and ship it today" list.

Based on my experience, and others I've read here, it seems:

* Their parts guy(s) is second-to-none when it comes to helping you get the right parts, and helping you figure out if you've missed anything.

* Their 20% discount often makes it worthwhile to put up with a little hassle and/or delay.

* Don't use the website to place an order. It seems unreliable. Call them directly.

* They're certainly not scamming anybody. You'll get your stuff. But they've gone through tremendous growth, and seem unprepared to deal with it.

By your own admission you didn't pick up the phone yet warn us all Beware!

But, but, this durned Internet thingy is supposed to take care of EVERYTHING!!!!!!

banger_ani.gif

+1

Never had a problem with them. Please don't dispense unqualified advice.

I have always gotten everything I ordered from them. I agree.. IF you call, the parts guys will bend over backwards to help out. The delivery part needs some work. I ordered some horns about two weeks ago (over the phone) and have yet to see them. That being said, I KNOW they are slow at delivering things and knowing that, I don't order something from them I need right away.

I wanted the patch cable to power up my Garmin 2720 right away for a trip I was taking, called them and told them it was an urgent order, had it in 3 days. I don't abuse the "urgent order" thing.

I guess I figure the wait time is worth the 20% off. I once waited 4 weeks for a part but got it. I always call now rather than use the web site...

Mike

You'll get your stuff. But they've gone through tremendous growth, and seem unprepared to deal with it.

Bingo! I think they are a good team too and ordered from them continuosly for several years, however my last two orders required multipe emails and phone calls; one order took 2 months and the most recent order took just shy of 4 months.

For me the 20% savings--and that is the value prop--isn't cutting it any longer and I am now shopping at the other large e-commerce BMW suppliers.

Obviously this is not the case with other patrons so I too think they are overwhelmed with orders and may not be equipped to follow-up with and stay on top of back orders.

Bill_Walker
...IF you call, the parts guys will bend over backwards to help out. The delivery part needs some work. ...I always call now rather than use the web site...

Now this here is one of my pet peeves: supposed "internet" businesses that can't actually handle doing business on the internet. Any business that takes orders on the web should also respond promptly to email, and should send email to keep you apprised of the status of your order. If you have to call, then you have to deal with time zone issues, and tracking when they're open, and hoping someone's available to take your call, or maybe having to way on hold. Give me email, thank you.

For me, it's NOT worth the 20% discount to deal with Chicago BMW. I tried them, and had the same slow shipping with no information experience detailed here by others.

It's not much different anywhere else. I order from both Chicago BMW and Hammersley and they both have their pluses and minuses. Both provide a discount, Hammersley ships much quicker but charges your card upon order, Chicago BMW doesn't charge your card until the order actually ships (eventually... crazy.gif). NEITHER is good about keeping the buyer informed about back orders and NEITHER is very good responding to emails but I have found both to be very friendly and helpful on the phone. And it's not likely that phone orders from any other dealer will be any better, in fact probably worse if they don't specialize in mail order, plus you pay full price to boot. So... yes, incredible burden as it may be you sometimes have to pick up the phone.

Your part is neither going forward, nor is it going backwards. Goethe BMW

Try calling them first.

As already stated, many mixed results recently dealing w/them.

I would be very surprised if a pleasant phone call to Mike doesn't clear this up to your complete satisfaction.

Looking forward to your post after you do this.

I agree with you. There are often many posts here about how guys/gals got screwed yet they have not made any effort to call the vendor. WTF! If you aren't adult enough to think a little on your own then you should not be allowed ot order stuff on the net. Gheez!

...IF you call, the parts guys will bend over backwards to help out. The delivery part needs some work. ...I always call now rather than use the web site...

Now this here is one of my pet peeves: supposed "internet" businesses that can't actually handle doing business on the internet. Any business that takes orders on the web should also respond promptly to email, and should send email to keep you apprised of the status of your order. If you have to call, then you have to deal with time zone issues, and tracking when they're open, and hoping someone's available to take your call, or maybe having to way on hold. Give me email, thank you.

For me, it's NOT worth the 20% discount to deal with Chicago BMW. I tried them, and had the same slow shipping with no information experience detailed here by others.

I agree 100%. Ive never used ChiBMW, but if I need something on the quick, I wont.

Bill hit it on the head - if you accept internet orders, you should be staffed to handle the emails. I order online for several reasons. Convenience, don't have to deal with people, and its usually cheaper (sometimes 50% or more). If you have the time to run my credit card, then you have the time to return an email with a status.

Jeeez, I didn't even order the part and I'm breaking a bead over it wave.gif

I don't disagree with you. I guess each person has to decide what the 20% is worth. At least reading this on the board, you are now an informed buyer and can make the decision if it's worth it to you. smile.gif

Follow up note.. I called them today about my horns. The parts guys said "Oh.. they will ship today". Which makes me think they have been in and sitting on the shelf for a while...

Bill hit it on the head - if you accept internet orders, you should be staffed to handle the emails.

Right-on brother cool.gif

+1

I respectfully disagree with you, TonyK. If you're dealing on the 'Net, why should someone have to waste time on the phone?! confused.gif

ericfoerster

I just ordered a new windshield from them and they told me up front the shield was not in inventory. They gave an approximate date and I am happy with that.

They are a little slow on orders as I've found in the past. I get really quick shipping from A & S through the online ordering, but the cost it a bit more.

If you're dealing on the 'Net, why should someone have to waste time on the phone?!

The net is not a infallible means of contact.

It's mearly a tool.

When a tool fails do you just sit on your hands or reach for another?

Apparently some do just sit on their hands.

Those that want to only use the internet and limit human contact / interaction as much as possible go to it but don't complain if it fails you from time to time.

Until you have exhausted all means of contact you don't really have soild ground to stand on.

Once you've done all you can and still have no success then come back and speak your mind.

p.s. it's your money no one is making you spend it with this or that vendor. Not happy... just move on.

wave.gif

I ordered a stoplight switch from Chicago BMW on the 15th and received it on the 19th. It was not in stock but, for a 10% discount instead of 20%, they had it urgent shipped. Still no problems for me dealing with them and I always call and ask for Mark.

Paul Mihalka

As my job is at a BMW dealer I don't have any experience with Chicago BMW. Just keep in mind it is simply business. If your policy is to sell at a 20% discount, which leaves you 10 to 20% gross margin, you have to work on a very tight budget. Means few low cost employees. If you want to provide top quality service, you need more higher level employees, you have to charger higher prices. By the comments I read, many more favorable than critical, I think Chicago BMW is providing excellent service for your money. I say that in spite of that we other dealers hate them grin.gif

Oh, how I tried to stay away from this.

Paul,

Thanks for your honest and fair thoughts!

To most of the others-pay full list plus tax and be happy. Hard to believe the hand wringing that goes on about this.

To 3 putt-you probably paid an extra thou or so, but what the hell/that beats picking up the phone and calling Mike. lmao.gif

I've bought 6 bikes from him in a bit over 3 years/he does answer the phone. thumbsup.gif

I've bought 6 bikes from him in a bit over 3 years/he does answer the phone.

When the red phone in the middle of the room starts flashing, it's no surprise they answer it.

batphone.jpg

Paul Mihalka

I've bought 6 bikes from him in a bit over 3 years/he does answer the phone.

When the red phone in the middle of the room starts flashing, it's no surprise they answer it.

batphone.jpg

Complete hijack: At the times when Hungary was a satellite (read colony) to the Sowiet Union, on the desk of the prime minister was a red phone. It only had a ear piece, no mouth piece. It was the direct line to Moscow. grin.gif

Oh, how I tried to stay away from this.

Paul,

Thanks for your honest and fair thoughts!

To most of the others-pay full list plus tax and be happy. Hard to believe the hand wringing that goes on about this.

To 3 putt-you probably paid an extra thou or so, but what the hell/that beats picking up the phone and calling Mike. lmao.gif

I've bought 6 bikes from him in a bit over 3 years/he does answer the phone. thumbsup.gif

The point was, had they answered 3Putt's email, they (probably) would have sold yet another bike.

The dealer may thin What difference does one bike make? There are many other people with tons of cash that are willing to spend it there.

It is that attitude that keeps people going to other places.

The above is not directed directly to ChiBMW. Recently I have sent emails to companies like motorola and garmin. Garmin took nearly a week and didn't answer my question. I'm still waiting for motorola to get back to me. Why should I call and wait on hold for @ 20 minutes when they offer email service?

Paul pretty much said it all. The low prices have to come from somewhere and keeping up on email takes more time than many realize. Yes, if they offer email service they should follow up, but it's an imperfect world. If an unanswered email is an enormous insult to you then pay more to someone who does answer them... you always have that option if it's worth it to you. Personally, I'd still call to work a deal as you'll almost always do better than an email request... I have no doubt that 99% of these go absolutely nowhere for the dealer (and as such he commits an appropriate share of his sales time to answering them.)

I wouldn't use email to inquire about a parts order either. Unless the parts guy is sitting and looking at his email client all day (as some apparently expect) email is a sucky means of communication for these kinds of problems. If something is wrong enough for me to need to contact them then I'd rather talk to a human being and work out the best path forward.

Another satisfied Chicago customer.

I stopped by there on my recent x-country trip. Given the site, I would've expected a massive dealership chock full of inventory. It was a tiny place (relatively) and very minimally staffed. Guess that's where the savings come in.

To those posters who argue that if a business is online that they should answer every e-mail, I politely suggest spending some time in sales. Usually, a phone caller has some idea what he wants, or at the very least can help you help him. The process is usually much faster and you close the sale right then. As opposed to:

Customer) hi i have a bmw and need tire fast please help how much?

Dealer) Which model? What year? What type of tire?

Customer) 1997

Dealer) What about the model? Type of tire

Customer) black rubber

And on and on. It drags on for a very long time. dopeslap.gif Get about 500 of those a day, and see what your response rate is. I can't believe the aversion some people feel to *talking* to other people since the invention of e-mail. The phone won't electrocute you - go ahead, try it.

-MKL

fourteenfour
I ordered the Navigator wire harness almost two months ago from Chicago BMW. Although my credit card was charged, the part was never shipped. I have sent multiple emails with no response. Either this part is backordered or I have been taken for a ride.

Well I ordered a 49L case and got it within 10 business days.. I've never ever had a problem with any order I placed with them.

Jim VonBaden

I wouldn't use email to inquire about a parts order either. Unless the parts guy is sitting and looking at his email client all day (as some apparently expect) email is a sucky means of communication for these kinds of problems. If something is wrong enough for me to need to contact them then I'd rather talk to a human being and work out the best path forward.

But he was not expecting instant response, even after several days no response. I do not expect same day response to an e-mail, but I sure as he!! expect a response within a few days.

I receive upwards of 30 e-mails a day on my DVD. I answer all of them, but sometimes it takes a few days when I am out of town. I answer them all because I do not want anyone thinking I do not care.

Personally I prefer e-mails. There is no way the dealer can deny what they say if I have a copy of the e-mail, and maybe this is why dealers/businesses dislike e-mail. Deniability! Sure as he!! have that with a phone call.

Besides, I don't have time to wait forever on hold on the phone, only to be told the person who know's about the situation is not there and to call back, as happens all the time.

/rant

Jim cool.gif

PS I order from Hammersley and get a similar discount, fast delivery, and good service. That, or preferably, ask my dealer to match the discount on big ticket items, and they usually do. thumbsup.gif

That, or preferably, ask my dealer to match the discount on big ticket items, and they usually do. thumbsup.gif

Curious, Jim, which dealer is that?

Jim VonBaden
I'm betting Morton's. They have come close to matching Hammersley and Chicago on a couple of items for me.

Yup! thumbsup.gif

Jim cool.gif

No complaints here.

I ordered the 3-wire repair connector (part#: 8330041585) online from Chicago BMW last Thursday(6/21/07). The part arrived 4 days later.

steve.foote

I order a lot of stuff from Chicago BMW, and don't seem to have any problems. In fact, I'll be on the phone with Mark in the morning for another order.

A couple of things about business in general. I had one experience with a customer who bought one of my funnels and then flamed me something fierce because he had emailed me three times and I didn't respond. The interesting thing was that he emailed me three times alright, within ten minutes of each other. confused.gif

Another one which sticks in my mind was a fellow I interviewed for a job at my computer company. He worked for Best Buy as a Geek Squad guy, and quit when a disgruntled customer threw a computer at him. eek.gif

Honestly, most people are really nice to deal with, but a few can leave a seriously nasty taste in your mouth.

Yeeha! Stephen

Another one which sticks in my mind was a fellow I interviewed for a job at my computer company. He worked for Best Buy as a Geek Squad guy, and quit when a disgruntled customer threw a computer at him. eek.gif

Ha!

I work in the Door to Door customer service field and I've had some foreign objects thrown at me too. crazy.gif

Dog Poop, a Board with Nails stuck through it, Marbles, News Papers/Magazines, Toys/Stuffed Animals, a Lawn Chair, Shoes, Coffee, Water, Soda, Roll of Coins, Paper Money, Loose Change, Mail... including the un-paid Monthly Bill, and the worst of all... a Used Condom! eek.gif

But I haven't quit yet! grin.gif

Um... so you guys all know the original poster has "tapped out"

and hasn't been back since asking the question!

So keep enjoying the now off on a tangent post or better yet maybe we should all go out and do more of this...

happyrider.gif

Honestly, most people are really nice to deal with, but a few can leave a seriously nasty taste in your mouth.

But I still like you... tongue.gifgrin.gif

I've had some foreign objects thrown at me too.... a Used Condom! eek.gif

I would commit a violent act upon someone if they did that to me.

steve.foote

Damn it! I must try harder next time. tongue.gif

grin.gif

Damn it! I must try harder next time. tongue.gif

grin.gif

Hit 'em with a used condom. That would do it for me.

I order a lot of stuff from Chicago BMW, and don't seem to have any problems. In fact, I'll be on the phone with Mark in the morning for another order.

A couple of things about business in general. I had one experience with a customer who bought one of my funnels and then flamed me something fierce because he had emailed me three times and I didn't respond. The interesting thing was that he emailed me three times alright, within ten minutes of each other. confused.gif

Steve,

That's a total fabrication.

First, I wasn't gruntled.

Second, if I had thrown the computer, I would have hit him,

not thrown it at him.

It merely slipped as I placed it lightly upon the counter.

smirk.gif

BTW, did you hire him?

I've still got a monitor around here someplace. grin.gif

Yeeha! Stephen
I've had some foreign objects thrown at me too.... a Used Condom! eek.gif

I would commit a violent act upon someone if they did that to me.

The look on their face is better, when I call them a "City Taxi" and they are read their rights, and facing an "Assault on a Public Servant" rap. grin.gif

Archived