IGNORED

Final drive spline alignment

dj_nj

does anyone have a tip for lining up the final drive spline with the drive shaft?

I have completed the job 3 time in the past but this time it does not want to go together. frown.gif

there must be a sure fire way to do this operation?

any tips welcome

thanks

I stuff a rag under the driveshaft end to hold it in position, with the end of the rag hanging out so that I can pull it out after the final drive and swingarm are mated. If you have two people one can hold the driveshaft in place with a long screwdriver while the other mates up the final drive.

Yeeha! Stephen

Have you tried the "Wedge the Driveshaft Tube full of Ice to hold up the Shaft while lining them up" trick yet.

I've only done it once and it worked faily well for me.

As I recall I believe the secret for me was to slowly turn the wheel hub while trying to mate them up..When I finally did that mine slipped right together. Use firm uplifting pressure on the final drive as you slowly turn the hub.

I use the rag trick.

I've heard about the ice trick, but every time I think about doing it I can't stop chuckling enough to actually go in the house and get some ice!

Last night I was using the rag and wheel hub trick, before making the post, and didn't get anywhere. I remember just placing it on last time I did the job.

I wonder what the approved BMW method is? No space for an expensive alignment tool to fit in.

Last night I was using the rag and wheel hub trick, before making the post, and didn't get anywhere. I remember just placing it on last time I did the job.
As lawman said you usually also have to rotate the rear wheel hub a bit to get the splines to align. Sometimes you're lucky and everything slips right together (I've had that happen once or twice, just like you) but more often than not you have to jiggle things a bit. It definitely can be a bit of a challenging solo job.

Got it last night with two friends helping out ( on the second try)

a good way to waste some time is to try doing it alone. dopeslap.gif

Thanks for your replies

Got it last night with two friends helping out ( on the second try)

a good way to waste some time is to try doing it alone. dopeslap.gif

Thanks for your replies

What's the saying? Two hands are better than one? (actually four). And perhaps two brains? Always helps to have a friend. I wished many times that I had someone to help me while I was busy messing up and cussing. You were even luckier; you had 2 friends come over; one extra.

Archived