IGNORED

Next Version of City Navigator?

twilmotte

I have the version 7 of City Navigator for use with a Garmin 2610. I've recently updated my Map Source to ver 6.12.2 from the Garmin web site. I'd like to get an updated version of City Navigator (with updated info on new restaurants, hotels, gas stations, streets, etc) but don't want to pay for a newer version if there haven't been that many changes. Does anyone know when City Nav version 9 is coming out? And can anyone attest to significant changes/improvements between versions 7 and 8? And lastly, is there a difference between City Navigator and Map Source? Are they the same software with two different names? Just curious. wave.gif

You can view the latest version of all the mapbases on the Garmin web site so you can compare these against your current version to see the differences (if any) yourself.

MapSource and the map databases (City Navigator, etc.) are two completely separate entities and there is no relationship to their respective version numbers. MapSource is the program that displays the map data and allows you to set up routes, etc., and City Navigator, City Select, etc. are the map databases themselves. MapSource will display maps using any one or more of these databases (if you own and have them installed on your computer of course.)

Hi,

City Navigator 9 is due out this summer,per the rumor mill.

You are likely fine with your current version until then.

JR356

Couchrocket

Here's what may be (I hope) a related question. In the later Garmin's, my 2720 for example, the maps come all preloaded in the unit's memory. How does one know when a new version of the "internal maps" (for lack of the proper term) is out, and how does one install them on the unit?

In SoCal here, development creates new roads and addresses at a pretty fast clip, and keeping the "internals maps" on the 2720 "current" will be important.

TIA for any insight.

Hi,

JR356

I just talked to Garmin a week ago and it is going to be called City Navigator 2008 or something close to that. It is expected to be out at the end of June.

John Bentall
Hi,

JR356

I just talked to Garmin a week ago and it is going to be called City Navigator 2008 or something close to that. It is expected to be out at the end of June.

Presuambly nobody would buy the software if it were called City Navigator 2007!

Here's what may be (I hope) a related question. In the later Garmin's, my 2720 for example, the maps come all preloaded in the unit's memory. How does one know when a new version of the "internal maps" (for lack of the proper term) is out, and how does one install them on the unit?

In SoCal here, development creates new roads and addresses at a pretty fast clip, and keeping the "internals maps" on the 2720 "current" will be important.

TIA for any insight.

you can setup mapsource to automatically check the garmin unit for updates once the unit is plugged into the pc

I have city navigator ver 5 in my SP-III. Anyone wants to sell me a more recent version (perhaps 8) with unlock code for a reasonable price? I called Garmin and they want ~$150 for the newer version, and wouldn't let me upgrade for less ($) as the unit I have is registered to a different owner. I purchase the unit on this site, but the original (2nd) owner doesn't have a receipt as it was purchase off eBay.

Chris...

you can setup mapsource to automatically check the garmin unit for updates once the unit is plugged into the pc

Could you please describe how to do this? I am in the MapSource help right now trying to find that function and coming up empty handed. dopeslap.gif

Could you please describe how to do this? I am in the MapSource help right now trying to find that function and coming up empty handed. dopeslap.gif

I have the same question - and going to Help, Check for Software Updates only checks for updates to Mapsource, not the Garmin unit itself.

Are we barking up the wrong tree here? If your Mapsource software is updated, does it automatically transfer the update to the Garmin unit the next time you connect the two?

Bill_Walker

OK, there are two issues here:

1) Updating your MapSource software and your Garmin unit's operating firmware. For this, you can install Garmin's WebUpdater app (download it from the Garmin site). It'll check for updates every time you plug your GPS into the PC.

2) Updating your map database, City Navigator. This is never free. You can find out about availability of updates by checking Garmin's web site, or you can sign up on their mailing list so they'll send you email when updates are available. CN updates generally come out once a year or so, usually mid-year (i.e., now). Updates add new streets and roads and update the points of interest database. The last once I bought cost $75.00. In previous years, it's been $150.00! Interestingly, Garmin's map update page currently doesn't show any updates for City Navigator North America. It used to be it always showed the most recently released update.

Updates to mapsource (on your PC) have nothing to do with your GPS firmware. Just go to Garmin's website and select the drop-down menu under "Support" for "Updates and Downloads". Select "Unit Software" and then download and install "Webupdater". After installing it on your PC, connect your GPS and run Webupdater to see if there are any updates for your unit's firmware.

Bill_Walker

TIA for any insight.

The preloaded maps are the same as the maps you can buy, and are updated the same way. Assuming you bought your 2720 new, you should have also gotten a DVD containing a copy of the same maps to install on your PC for use with MapSource. If not, you should request one from Garmin, since MapSource is useless without it.

As I said in my post above, WebUpdater will check for new firmware and MapSource software, but I don't think it checks for the availability of map updates. If you registered your unit with Garmin and provided an email address, they'll probably let you know when a City Navigator update is available.

Then you request the DVD, they mail it to you, you install the new maps on your PC and go on the Garmin website to pay for the update and get a new unlock code. Once you've got that, you can use the maps on your PC and you can download them to the GPS.

FYI: Although Garmin software (mapsource and City Navigator, etc.) are PC only (not Mac compatible), the Webupdater software is in beta for Mac.

I downloaded the Mac Webupdater and used it to successfully update the firmware on my Garmin Map 60CS handheld unit and also my BMW Navigator III unit.

2 curiosity questions:

1. What are the "Bluechart" maps? Just more detail?

2. What is "Metroguide North America"? Is this an enhancement to MapSource? It's free so should I get it? I'm running MapSource ver 6.12.3

Bluechart are the Garmin water navigation maps. They are quite good. I've used them in several different GPS's. You buy them in sections for most personal use (Gulf Coast, for example).

Archived