IGNORED

2004 RT Radio Installation

btg01

Just bought a new to me 2004 RT. I would like to add a radio to it but understand this could be quite a complex (and pricey) undertaking. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated?

CanyonCarver

I put one in mine, not really all that bad to be honest with you. I dumped the stock speakers for some polk marine grade speakers and dropped in a Pioneer deck with an iPod interface. If you get the harness adapter for a BWM Z3 and shave off some of the tabs on it, it will plug directly into the RT chassis, no splicing required. The remote is a different deal. I took the Pioneer remote, unsoldered the IR transmitter and resoldered it to the end of some phone line and fed that into the box on top of the unit so the remote can control the deck with the door closed. As far as mounting goes, I used one of the many mounts available and placed it above the clutch reservoir. I will attach pictures when I get home.

Just to offer another sugestion...

You will get far better sound if you go the route of in-helmet speakers, or better still ear bud speakers and an iPod, XM, portable, MP3 player route. Plus it will be a lot cheaper and better protect your hearing too.

Juan_in_a_million
Just bought a new to me 2004 RT. I would like to add a radio to it but understand this could be quite a complex (and pricey) undertaking. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated?

I had a radio in my RT and, honestly, you can't hardly hear it. I guess that the "in-helmet" speaker could be a good option.

What I have done is another alternative. I removed the radio and bought a "marine" quality amplifier (120 Wats per channel). I had to put an inconspicuous switch in the dashboard to turn it on and off without opening the glove compartment. Now I can plug any portable device to the amp and regulate the volume with the portable device volume control. When I'm on the highway, I don't know whether I'm bothering other people or not but I certainly can hear it fine. Oh! by the way, you will need speakers that can take that load. Long time ago I got rid of the BMW speakers and installed a pair of JBLs.

Good luck!

Juan Antonio

I had a radio in my RT and, honestly, you can't hardly hear it. I guess that the "in-helmet" speaker could be a good option.

What I have done is another alternative. I removed the radio and bought a "marine" quality amplifier (120 Wats per channel). I had to put an inconspicuous switch in the dashboard to turn it on and off without opening the glove compartment. Now I can plug any portable device to the amp and regulate the volume with the portable device volume control. When I'm on the highway, I don't know whether I'm bothering other people or not but I certainly can hear it fine. Oh! by the way, you will need speakers that can take that load. Long time ago I got rid of the BMW speakers and installed a pair of JBLs.

Good luck!

Juan Antonio

Juan, sounds like a great solution. I was thinking of doing the same thing a bit ago. How did you arrange things so that you can plug in your "portable devices"? A picture or two would be great if your up for it. wave.gif

Archived