IGNORED

Precursor To Failure?

gloveguy

I just got back from a 1700 mile ride to British Columbia and my '96 RT never missed a beat...but this morning when I went to the parking lot of the hotel and tried to start the bike, nothing happened. I recycled the key from on to off to on again, checked that the sidestand was indeed up, kill switch was in the right position and that all the correct lights were on...gave the starter button a couple of pushes and the starter engaged and the engine started. Subsequently, no other problems throughout the day. We had been in some heavy rain for two days prior to this and the bike was covered with heavy dew this morning as well. Don't know if this seemingly isolated incident is something to be worried about or not. Is there something I should check? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Dennis

Were you starting in gear with the clutch in? If so, your clutch switch on the handlebar may be going bad. No biggie to fix.

My 98 RS has done the exact same thing on three or four occasions - all after either riding in the (moderate to heavy) rain, or washing the bike, and sitting overnight. I don't know if it is moisture in the starter switch, or something in the starter. Whatever it is, it only happens about twice a year, and always recovers.

Consider the HES, especially with an older 1100 and potential relationship to moisture. There's a another thread about this going on right now, in addition to uncountable past discussions.

Archived