IGNORED

Mirror add on

John47

Good evening,

Upon taking ownership of my first BMW, a 2007 R1200RT, I very soon found I could not use the stock mirrors for much except to clean them. My dealer worked with me and we went thru his stock of BMW mirrors. We ended up with ones that have a stem of about 7.5" from the end to the base of the glass pivot. They are round. The stem is bent at an angle about 3" from the end of the threads at about a 45 degree angle. Lock nuts used are from the dealer also. Mounting them into the handlebar assemblies I needed a spacer as there is a shoulder after the threads. I used a one inch long nylon sapcer found in the nuts, bolts section of Aubuchon's hardware and had to grind a little off to get the right distance. Two short trips so far and they have worked well. I can see straight back and clear the handlebar controls, large BMW trunk and bags. Bottom of mirrors are about 3" above my hands and there is very little distortion from vibration.

Part numbers follow.

Mirror (2 ea.) 51 16 2 302 176

Locknuts (2 ea.) 51 16 2 328 287

Nuts use an Allen wrench to tighten.

Time and miles will tell the tale on this but so far I am pleased.

Best regards to all, John

Quinn,

I did not look at the one you mention. The shop I purchased at is small and had a number of BMW units. These I think will work for me.

Best regards, John

Just bought a set of GS mirrors from Beemer Boneyard (no affiliation) and they bolt right on to the older RT. Not sure of the 1200 though. Just watch the windscreen clearance while turning with the screen down.

We went through this a few weeks ago, when I added K1200GT mirrors to my '04 RT. You need:

51-16-2-307-769 BMW K1200GT Mirror (Qty 2)

31-42-2-314-991 BMW Mirror Sleeve (Qty 10)

51-16-2-309-607 BMW Wave Washer (Qty 2)

51-16-2-328-287 BMW Nut (Qty 2)

rtmirror.jpg

About $150 all told. OUCH! Then someone pops up and shows how the mirror from the Honda Ruckus scooter also fits perfectly, for about $25! eek.gif Your choice....

-MKL

31-42-2-314-991 BMW Mirror Sleeve (Qty 10)

What happens if you don't use the sleeves on a 03rt confused.gif

I have no idea. On the '04, without some sort of spacers, the thread on the mirror will run out before the mirror is tightened down. I got these "RT High Mirrors" from the A&S website - they neglected to tell me I needed the spacers!

In truth, the spacers are a rip off, of course, but I was at the dealer anyway and splurged. Any hollow tubing of the proper length will do. But the particular mirrors I used will not fit the bike without some sort of spacers.

-MKL

eYe R corn-fused won (now) confused.gifgrin.gif

Some time back I installed RS mirrors on my wife's 03 GT.

Recently I installed these GT mirrors on my 03 RT.

No spacers & no thread run-out confused.giflurker.gif

eYe R corn-fused won (now) confused.gifgrin.gif

Some time back I installed RS mirrors on my wife's 03 GT.

Recently I installed these GT mirrors on my 03 RT.

No spacers & no thread run-out confused.giflurker.gif

Yes, but the mirrors shown in the photo are R-GS mirrors, not K-RS/GT.
Yes, but the mirrors shown in the photo are R-GS mirrors, not K-RS/GT.

Unlike the RS, the GT used similar if not the very same mirrors as the GS.

The only difference between Moshe's & my situation is 03 vrs 04 RT.

Archived