IGNORED

Valve cover gaskets

jfixit

How often will I have to replace the inner and outer valve cover gaskets if I pay careful attention to the torque specs?

How often will I have to replace the inner and outer valve cover gaskets if I pay careful attention to the torque specs?

Roadcrafter, hard to say,, depends on how hot they get, how much ozone gets to them,, what type of additives in the engine oil.. Probably also depends on luck..

Just replace when needed.. My guess is you will have to replace the inners about every 2nd or 3rd valve adjustment (depends more on time than mileage) with the outers lasting a fair amount longer..

I always keep one inner & one outer on hand that way have them if needed..

Twisty

I had the valve covers off my 96RT 12 times in 29 months and 78,000 miles and never replaced the gaskets. Just be careful with them and they will take care of themselves.

85,000 miles, 8 years, 14 valve adjustments on mine and they are still fine.

Jim VonBaden
Almost never. They are designed to be reused over and over again.

+1

I have never had to replace an outer gasket, and only once an inner gasket, and that was my fault for getting it on crooked.

Jim cool.gif

Joe Frickin' Friday

Never, unless you damage them by some other means. '99 RT, 120K miles, 20 off/on cycles for the gaskets, never been replaced.

See above for how often (probably never), but clean them very well with a paper towel each time you remove them, and the surfaces that they seal between, to prevent oil leaks.

Thanks guys for the responses, I can save the money I thought I would have to spend on spare sets. I will go with the one on the shelf idea just in case something does happen. Thanks again.

I disagree with the 'forever' crowd (now there's a surprise grin.gif) You should always have an inner gasket on hand, they are easy to pinch and very cheap. The outer gaskets get hard and dry which makes them less flexible and thus more prone to leaks. I replaced mine at about 100,000 miles, it was incredible how much more "rubbery" the new ones were than the originals. I think I'll replace them again at 172,000.

Joe Frickin' Friday
I disagree with the 'forever' crowd (now there's a surprise grin.gif) You should always have an inner gasket on hand, they are easy to pinch and very cheap. The outer gaskets get hard and dry which makes them less flexible and thus more prone to leaks.

I can believe new ones are more pliable, and it's probably not a bad idea to have a spare seat on the shelf...but you're not suggesting they be replaced as preventive maintenance, before they start leaking, are you?

"Forever" just means "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." cool.gif

but you're not suggesting they be replaced as preventive maintenance, before they start leaking, are you?

"Forever" just means "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." cool.gif

Yes, given the cost per 100,000 miles why not replace them before they leak, if you don't have them on hand a leak after a service is very frustrating (Luckily for me I was at Jamie & Leslie's which is only a mile from the dealer) I replace the donut every few valve checks because it seems to pinch more easily as it ages, then again I only check my valves every 10K since they don't move any more.

Archived