IGNORED

Engine Miss??

BigArn

I try to perform most of my maintenance on the RT, like valve adjustment, throttle body syncing and your run of the mill fluid changes. The past couple of times while out ridding I’ve experienced a slight miss or “stumble” of the motor. Sometimes when starting from a stop it kind of misses or a slight stall then regains itself and performs normally. Also sometimes blipping the throttle will also produce this. Anybody have and ideas on what I can look in to? And it’s happened when the SO is on board. Now this morning on the way in to work it ran beautifully. And to tell the truth all of last week ridding to work I did not experience this problem.

Check your stick coils. May have to borrow good ones from a buddy or pull a plug wire at a time to find it.

I just found at least one bad one on my 12k mile '04 (I just got it w/ 10k miles). No good way to test them w/ a meter, BTW- just have to trial and error it.

Anyhow, it was my bike's problem- stuttering on acceleration, intermittent.

The new coils has it running like it should.

I try to perform most of my maintenance on the RT, like valve adjustment, throttle body syncing and your run of the mill fluid changes. The past couple of times while out ridding I’ve experienced a slight miss or “stumble” of the motor. Sometimes when starting from a stop it kind of misses or a slight stall then regains itself and performs normally. Also sometimes blipping the throttle will also produce this. Anybody have and ideas on what I can look in to? And it’s happened when the SO is on board. Now this morning on the way in to work it ran beautifully. And to tell the truth all of last week ridding to work I did not experience this problem.

Mark, a stumble on initial throttle tip-in usually indicates a lean condition.. Start by checking all the air boots & “O” rings between the throttle bodies & cyl heads..

Have you done a TBI balance lately? If not check that then look for a rock or pebble to be wedged in one of the TBI cable cams (that could cause a way out of sync throttle body balance at just off idle) .. The TBI balance would have to be pretty far out of whack to cause a stumble but it’s possible..

Low fuel pressure, plugging vapor canister, weak spark could be other things to look for..

Can you tell us EXACTLY when the problem happens?? Like always after a certain miles of travel,, or only cold,, or only after fueling up, you get the idea..

Twisty

Check your stick coils. May have to borrow good ones from a buddy or pull a plug wire at a time to find it.

I just found at least one bad one on my 12k mile '04 (I just got it w/ 10k miles). No good way to test them w/ a meter, BTW- just have to trial and error it.

Anyhow, it was my bike's problem- stuttering on acceleration, intermittent.

The new coils has it running like it should.

Fugu, where are those stick coils located on a single spark 1100???

Twisty

Mark, a stumble on initial throttle tip-in usually indicates a lean condition.. Start by checking all the air boots & “O” rings between the throttle bodies & cyl heads..

Have you done a TBI balance lately? If not check that then look for a rock or pebble to be wedged in one of the TBI cable cams (that could cause a way out of sync throttle body balance at just off idle) .. The TBI balance would have to be pretty far out of whack to cause a stumble but it’s possible..

Low fuel pressure, plugging vapor canister, weak spark could be other things to look for..

Can you tell us EXACTLY when the problem happens?? Like always after a certain miles of travel,, or only cold,, or only after fueling up, you get the idea..

Twisty

Usually when it's fully warmed up.

Also you might want to do a quick check of the TPS (throttle position sensor) voltage at closed throttle just to be sure that it is in the correct range.

ShovelStrokeEd

No need to bother looking for stick coils, it's a 2001 RT. Coils are bolted to the frame up by the steering head.

That sure sounds like a lean stumble to me though, possible air leak. Possible dead spot in the TPS. Bad or sluggish O2 sensor.

Fugu, where are those stick coils located on a single spark 1100???

Under the flugensputter I think.

Oops. I have stick coils on the brain because I solved my problem recently, didn't notice the model.

Archived