IGNORED

'07 RT & ASC - Anyone have it?

SteveNY

I picked up my bike in March. The dealer said that the ASC upgrade I ordered was not available yet, they were waiting for the CDs from BMW. As of a couple of weeks ago they were still waiting.

Does anyone have ASC installed on their '07? If so, was it factory direct or a dealer option?

Is anyone else waiting for it?

thanks,

Steve

Factory only option and only on bikes built from Feb. on. If it senses the rear wheel spinning faster than the front wheel it retards the spark or if necessary interrupts fuel flow.

No more burn outs or wheelies. lmao.gif

I have an '07 and Max BMW did not even mention it.

Bill P

I bought mine from Max, too. They didn't push it, I was asking for it and was warned that it wasn't going to be available right away. I just didn't think 3 months later and I'd still be waiting. It seems like a good feature. I think that it is supposed to be available as dealer installed eventually (it's only a software change). I will probably ask for my money back and wait for it to be available.

No, you won't be able to pop wheelies, but I'm not a wheelie kind of guy. I'm more interested in maintaining traction on slippery surfaces. Stability control is fantastic in cars, it should be helpful on bikes as well.

ABS is to deceleration as ASC is to acceleration.

Steve

Don_Eilenberger
I have an '07 and Max BMW did not even mention it.

Bill P

I had a chat with a mechanic about it - who had been to school for retrofitting it. Supposedly - if you bought a bike made before a certain time point - you qualify for a free upgrade to ASC.. but I suspect that's only the case IF the bike has the ASC wiring/button (which I've only seen one of.. I seem to remember the button being on the right switch gear.)

It would be cool to be able to add it to any of the hexheads that were supposed to come with it.

What would be even cooler would be the ability to add the tire-pressure readout capability. That I would pay to have (and I know Kisan makes a nice one that probably works just as well - but it wouldn't be integrated into the OBC - and I can't think where to add their display on the Roadster..)

Steve:

I bought mine from Max, too. They didn't push it, I was asking for it and was warned that it wasn't going to be available right away. I just didn't think 3 months later and I'd still be waiting. It seems like a good feature. I think that it is supposed to be available as dealer installed eventually (it's only a software change). I will probably ask for my money back and wait for it to be available.

No, you won't be able to pop wheelies, but I'm not a wheelie kind of guy. I'm more interested in maintaining traction on slippery surfaces. Stability control is fantastic in cars, it should be helpful on bikes as well.

ABS is to deceleration as ASC is to acceleration.

Steve

As I understand it, with ASC, burn outs and wheelies, yes.

I do have it on my bike. First, it can be disengaged. Second, although I have never done a wheelie, I suspect it takes damn good traction, which is what ASC provides. Logic tells me laking good traction, one does a burn out?

I figured, if it stops the bike from spinning and dropping just once, it's paid for.

Gary

PhillyFlash
As I understand it, with ASC, burn outs and wheelies, yes.

I do have it on my bike. First, it can be disengaged. Second, although I have never done a wheelie, I suspect it takes damn good traction, which is what ASC provides. Logic tells me laking good traction, one does a burn out?

I figured, if it stops the bike from spinning and dropping just once, it's paid for.

Gary

Wheelies, probably not. If the sensor is reading both wheels, and cuts back power if the rear wheel is spinning faster than the front, then as soon as the front wheel start to lift, power will diminish, and bye bye wheelie. Unless, of course, you disengage the ASC.

If the sensor is reading both wheels,

Anyone know if both wheels are monitored by ASC. I had thought only the rear was being monitored. If I had a front slipping, I doubt that cutting power to the drive wheel will make any difference.

Paul Mihalka

Anyone know if both wheels are monitored by ASC. I had thought only the rear was being monitored. If I had a front slipping, I doubt that cutting power to the drive wheel will make any difference.

To make ASC you have to monitor (check behavior) of both wheels. That does not mean that ASC acts on both wheels. When the rear wheel starts spinning faster than the front, ASC reduces power. For that it has to know what the front wheel is doing.
PhillyFlash
If the sensor is reading both wheels,

I believe it is designed to keep the rear wheel from slipping by cutting power. If your front wheel is slipping, well, good luck.

John Bentall

The ASC is designed for applications of accelerating hard over slippery or variable coefficient-of-friction surfaces while the bike is upright.

DO NOT think you can take liberties with the throttle when the bike is banked over on a poor or slippery surface. The system may not react fast enough to get you out of trouble!

The weather conditions where I live and ride are so mild that I would not consider it as an option - I'd rather spend the money on another option or accessory. But if I lived in the mountains, I might well change my mind.

Archived