IGNORED

Mounting a GPS on a shelf, how?

chrisz

Hi,

May be a silly question, but how does one mount a GPS (SP-III) onto a flat shelf? I tried using a two part epoxy, but it let go after a two block ride dopeslap.gif

There doesn't seem to be any provisions for bolting the unit down. Or is there another widget I need to purchase?

Thanks,

Chris...

Or you could use a mount like this. Nice clean installation, very secure, no modifications req'd, easy to route wiring to, directly in your line of sight and adjustable for height using different length Ram arms.

I have a few left from the last time I was able to use the CNC lathe on a lunch break...62.00 includes solid billet aluminum base, 1" Ram ball mount and shipping.

Jim W.

'Click to enlarge'...

miniimg2602bl8.th.jpg

resizedmount001nj8.th.jpg

r12rtworkingpics002bi0.th.jpg

Thanks all for suggestions.

I do use a tank bag (Big Mak) and have already mounted a shelf above the gauges. I see that Garmin sells duel side permanent tape for this application. The price of $3 is OK, but delivery of $15 is not OK. I purchased some longer screws (hope they fit) and as the shelf is already pre-drilled, I will attach it with the four tiny screws. Additionally I got some industrial epoxy (from work)and will also glue it down.

I have a 2730, and I purchased the garmin locking mount. I then figured out the best angle to view the display while driving, and had a local shop bend a small piece of steel for me. (no charge) A little black paint, 6 holes, and one hour later it looks factory.

good luck

I mounted some stuff to my shelf(V-1 - Sat radio) using sticky backed velcro from Wal Mart-none of it's blown off yet!

Ya might wanna rethink that epoxy thing in case ya ever wanna take it off.

My cheap advice for the day wink.gif

wave.gif

How does this mount work with the BMW tank bag? Can you still see the GPS display when bag is mounted?
I have one of jim.s mounts,I have a zumo 550 on it and I can see it very well,Im 6 feet tall,I do need to make a sun sheld,,
How does this mount work with the BMW tank bag? Can you still see the GPS display when bag is mounted?

Well the short answere is yes you can see the GPS over the BMW tankbag. There are 3 different length 'double ball arms' available from Ram. I use the 1.75" one for almost all of my riding even with the tankbag...as long as I don't have it 'stuffed'. When I plan a longer trip and the tankbag might get really stuffed before I get home I swap out the 1.75" arm for the 3" arm. It puts the GPS high enough for me to see it easily over the tankbag, and still see the guages easily.

Ram makes a third, 5" arm, which I have never tried but I am pretty sure it would partially block the bikes guages at that height so I never bothered with it.

At only about 10.00 each for the arms it is an easy accesorry to have around for the odd occasion I might need it...

Jim W.

Here is a picture using the 3" arm with the tankbag in place...I am in my normal seating position on the bike so you can see the tankbag, the GPS, and the bikes guages...oh, and I am 5'9" with a 32" inseam.

Click to enlarge,

garminmountonrt008ch7.th.jpg

I have considered the velcro way forward but the weight of the SP-III made me think otherwise.

Anyhow, I did attach the mount with the screws and also glued it down. Within the next few days will take another ride to see if it lasts longer then 2 blocks tongue.gif Also need to consider a way of tethering it, in case the screws and glue let go.

Chris...

Thumbs up for Jim's system. Use the 3" inch arm with tank bag, 1.5" without. GPS centered and always very visible. Very clean/professional mount.

Archived