IGNORED

Tranny probs

Zorcher1

Hi all, Im new to the bmw world, Im looking at buying a 2000 1100 rt-p, the owner says that it slips out of 1st and second when rolling to a stop. First of all, is this common? Second, what are options and ball park prices for repair, rebuild, refurbished or new trannies. The owner is offering the bike for a very low price so Im not against putting a little money into repairs. Thanks, Marc

Hi all, Im new to the bmw world, Im looking at buying a 2000 1100 rt-p, the owner says that it slips out of 1st and second when rolling to a stop. First of all, is this common? Second, what are options and ball park prices or repair, rebuild, refurbished or new trannies. The owner is offering the bike for a very low price so Im not against putting a little money into repairs. Thanks, Marc

I have a 2001-RTP. I lost the transmission last November. The bike is now back together and road tested. I've very happy with the results. It shifts like a Honda - silky smooth, no "clunk", very nice.

As some will advise you, shifting problems can occasionally be caused by problems in the linkage (between the foot lever and transmission). Given it's official service, I'd be a pessimist. If you're purchasing the bike, assume the worst.

You have several basic options:

1) Have a BMW R&R the transmission. My local shop quoted me $3300 for the job, plus about $800 labor.

2) Have a BMW or good independent shop replace your transmission with a BMW rebuilt transmission. 7 months ago, the retail price was about $2600, and Chicago BMW had one for $2150. Labor ran between $450 and $800 (i.e. independent/BMW Dealer).

3) #2 above, but find a low-mileage used transmission from ebay or a reliable used dealer (Mike at beemerboneyard.com). Prices vary between $300 and $900, depending on the source and condition.

4) Remove the transmission yourself, have it repaired by Bruno in Canada, Tom Cutter in Pennsylvania, or another respected independent.

There are other variations. I found a low-mileage transmission with a damaged case, to swap the gears.

Your repair may be less than the $3300 quoted to me. If the problem is just a shift fork, you're out transmission labor plus maybe $300 for parts and a seal kit (plus the $800 disassembly/assembly price for the bike, unless you do it yourself.). If any gear in the intermediate gear assembly is bad, the entire assembly needs to be replaced (it's "unrepairable" per BMW). That assembly's OEM price is over $1000 by itself; hence the $3300 price tag.

My choice was to skip the shop, pull the transmission myself, and get the best qualified person I could find to repair it. My first transmission died abnormally early at 57K miles; I wanted my next one to outlast the bike.

I sent the transmission to Tom Cutter. He (apparently) sent the gear assembly to Bruno in Canada, who was able to save the intermediate assembly, and build it from scrap parts Tom had in his shop. So, I didn't need the used/salvage transmission Mike at beemerboneyard had located for me.

Bruno also undercut the gears, which results in a much better, smoother fit between gears and togs.

Plus, while the BMW shop said my transmission was "totaled"; all parts required replacement, Tom was able to replace two shift forks and 1 or 2 gears, as Bruno was able to repair the other damaged gears during the undercutting process. Tom said the result would be "better than new"; judging from my road test, he didn't lie!

Upshot: About $1500 including a few extra parts (neutral switch, and a clutch throw rod piston - can't recall the exact name). This is for a transmission that's arguably better than new. I did the assembly/disassembly work. I put between $2500 and $3000 into the bike over all, because I performed a lot of maintenance while I was "in the area", e.g. R&R swing arm bearings, final drive needle bearings (with bushings), fuel regulator (due to damaged fuel lines), clutch, cables for throttle, throttle advance ("choke"), and clutch, and so forth.

Regarding the BMW rebuilt transmissions: Tom told me that he had rebuilt 4 of the BMW "factory rebuilt" transmissions, and he found that not one had been correctly assembled when he opened them. I've anecdotally heard from others that there are reliability problems with the factory rebuilts.

Archived