IGNORED

Final Drive Leaking AGAIN

BruceWA

Well after about 11 months and a four month winter layover, my 04 RT final drive seals appear to be in need of replacement again!! To say I'm not happy is an understatement. Warranty expires 7/31, but have an extended warranty. Maybe it's time to change iron horses??

ShovelStrokeEd

Seal failure, especially repeated seal failure, is usually the result of damage or improper finish, sometimes it can be because of poor installation technique. Since the bike is still in warranty, bring it back to the dealer and have him change not only the seal but also the ring and pinion gears. I'm assuming the leak is at the pinion shaft.

No reason you should have to put up with a recurring problem.

Thanks for the info Ed. Yes, the leak is at the pinion shaft. Only problem is the dealer where I had the work done last year is not an option now, live too far away. My other option is not known for very good customer satisfaction and "friendliness", unless you are buying a bike!

Agree with your final summary as well!! thumbsup.gif

ShovelStrokeEd

It is a warranty issue and like it or not, your current local dealer has to honor it. If he doesn't, a call to BMWNA will be in order. Simultaneous letter is always a good idea. Documentation of the previous repair showing it was done as a warranty item. Have a look around or ask an attorney about Lemon Law in your state.

Glad you got an extended warranty. Don't blame you for being disappointed. Document every conversation, phone call, response, etc. Hope it works out for you, in the long run (with the Eagles singing the chorus).

Archived