IGNORED

WSB Race (Spoiler)

Deadboy

Wow, what a crash...Biaggi was pushing hard, and while the announcers didn't like his move he didn't seem off line to me, but damn....high speed (260 kms.), amazing they both (Biaggi/Haga) came out of it healthy enough to race in #2........and for that matter both made the podium in #2....great series......

Race 1 results: Bayliss, Corser, Kagayama......

What is the difference between WSB and MotoGP racing? I'm just now starting to get into it and I watched last week's MotoGP race on CBS and would like to start following the serive. However, I found this week's FIM WSB racing confusing - with the exception of Biaggi, I didn't recognize any of the racers' names.

Oh wait... I forgot - MotoGP is the "NASCAR of motorcycling racing" according to CBS. wink.gif

But seriously, if there's a website that explains the different series, a pointer would be appreciated.

Oh wait... I forgot - MotoGP is the "NASCAR of motorcycling racing" according to CBS. wink.gif

Hi,

I call BS on that one,MotoGP is the equivalent to F1 auto racing!

JR356

Oh wait... I forgot - MotoGP is the "NASCAR of motorcycling racing" according to CBS.

I call BS on that one,MotoGP is the equivalent to F1 auto racing!

That's okay. The rodeo announcer also mentioned it was the F1 of motorcycle racing, which would seem to suggests to me that Nascar may be the Formula One of 4-wheeled racing.

Or something.

Towjam,

MotoGP is generally considered the highest level motorcycle racing circuit. They are using 800cc bikes this year. There is more money available in this circuit.

WSB is coming back after a brief period of time when Ducati was the only major investor in the series. I would say this is the "Triple A" cirucuit. Lots of riders bounce between MotoGP and WSB.

Both circuits are very exciting and there a great riders in both circuits. I watch both of them religiously.

russell_bynum
What is the difference between WSB and MotoGP racing? I'm just now starting to get into it and I watched last week's MotoGP race on CBS and would like to start following the serive. However, I found this week's FIM WSB racing confusing - with the exception of Biaggi, I didn't recognize any of the racers' names.

But seriously, if there's a website that explains the different series, a pointer would be appreciated.

In a nutshell: World Superbike machines are based on production bikes that you and I can go buy at the local dealership. Allowed modifications are somewhat limited. Currently the bikes are 1000cc. Most are inline fours, but Ducati has a twin.

MotoGP is prototype machines not based on any production bike/engine/etc. There's a weight limit and a displacement limit, but that's about it. Everything else is fair game. Electronics, telemetry, different engine configurations, etc...it's all up for grabs and you can change your setup from race to race if you wanted to. In other words, you could show up with a V-four this week, and a V-five next week.

MotoGP is supposed to be the highest level of motorcycle road racing, like Formula One is for car racing.

There's other Superbike Championships as well in addition to World Superbike. British Superbike is supposed to be a great series (good luck finding it on TV here). Aussie Superbike is also supposed to be quite good from what I understand. In America, we have AMA superbike, which is currently a snoozer because the same two guys seem to be running away with it, and it always seems like one or the other of them has a strong advantage so we don't even get any good racing bewteen those two. dopeslap.gif

Thanks! Now the puzzle pieces are fitting together with me.

Hayen, Roberts, Rossi = top of the line performance, 800cc non-production bikes

Biaggi, Bayliss = not so much

Kern = MotoST (SST class) (and this is the racing I'm actually most interested in.)

Thanks! Now the puzzle pieces are fitting together with me.

Hayen, Roberts, Rossi = top of the line performance, 800cc non-production bikes

Biaggi, Bayliss = not so much

Kern = MotoST (SST class) (and this is the racing I'm actually most interested in.)

Exceot for you assessment of Rossi, I couldnt disagree more. Hayden got very lucky last year that Rossi had those 3 DNFs. Roberts hasn't done much.

Biaggi on the other hand for years was Rossi's only real competition in MotoGP, and is the real wildcard this year in WSBK. Bayliss has been a dominant force since he's been back in WSBK from MotoGP and in last year's GP finale, he completely ran away with the race on Sete's Ducati.

Exceot for you assessment of Rossi, I couldnt disagree more. Hayden got very lucky last year that Rossi had those 3 DNFs. Roberts hasn't done much.

Biaggi on the other hand for years was Rossi's only real competition in MotoGP, and is the real wildcard this year in WSBK. Bayliss has been a dominant force since he's been back in WSBK from MotoGP and in last year's GP finale, he completely ran away with the race on Sete's Ducati.

Just to be clear, I wasn't rating the riders. Rather, I was just using the rider names I'm familiar with to determine which series I may be watching at any given time. (I did notice that there was no US representation in the WSB yesterday.)

Other than countless hours playing MotoGP on the Xbox, I'm a total noob to cycle racing.

I totally disagree that Hayden "got lucky" last year. He podiumed half the races last season, and won two! He worked his a$$ off (consistently putting in more laps in practice sessions than anyone else, fixing his riding issues (i.e, not being a rain rider) - I'll give you he was lucky at Valencia that Rossi got a bad start then crashed trying to catch up; THAT was pretty lucky, BUT, that's just good karma paying him back for the BAD luck with Dani crashing in to him at Estoril. smile.gif I think Rossi and Hayden both had the same bad luck with bikes, so that's a wash; Hayden's bike worked better at the beginning of the season; Rossi's worked better at the end, when Hayden's started to go to the crapper - wash.

Roberts, though he hasn't done much lately, was the 2000 World Champion.

thumbsup.gif

That all being said though, I thought he was talking about bikes ('Hayden, Rossi, Roberts are on non production 800s, Biaggi and Baylis not so much' (I would have said: "are on production based superbikes" but potAto, poTAHto) grin.gif

As for the WSB race, is it just me, or could anyone else just hear Rossi laughing his arse off when Biaggi crashed out on the penultimate lap! lmao.gif

I never liked Biaggi. He always talked bigger than he raced. Besides, he's well past his prime now and hasn't seriously contended for a title since leaving 250 GP.

Hayden and Roberts are not at Rossi's level, but at least they have world championships, a feat that eluded Biaggi. Heck, in 2005 Biaggi couldn't even keep up with Hayden after finally getting the full factory Honda ride he always coveted.

I would have loved to see Bayliss get another chance at MotoGP this year though.

Dave

That (Roberts) was in 2000 actually...

You just need to start watching and reading (Cycle News is a great resource) as is www.roadracingworld.com and www.superbikeplanet.com. Every series seems to have its ups and downs, with WSB being the best in my opinion this year......however AMA superstock has also been good as has the British 600 class (hard to see on TV but the races I have seen are amazing, huge field (30 plus riders))....

And if you're wondering why they call Rossi "The Doctor", perhaps the race commentary:

"And there's Rossi having a look up the inside of Stoner"

might give you a hint. grin.gif

markgoodrich

www.crashnet.com will help you get a handle on all the series.

If you have a DVR, search the Speed Channel for motorcycle racing, or just set it to record all motorcycle racing on Speed. You'll get some Supercross, etc, races, but you'll not miss any AMA, WSB, or MotoGP races that way. I personally find even the kids on 125s in MGP more interesting than any of the AMA race series. It seems that the AMA series stack the rules somehow to favor particular manufacturers for different classes. How else to explain the Suzuki domination in SB, but not in WSB? Shoot, it's not domination, it's...ridiculous.

If you have a DVR, search the Speed Channel for motorcycle racing, or just set it to record all motorcycle racing on Speed. You'll get some Supercross, etc, races, but you'll not miss any AMA, WSB, or MotoGP races that way. I personally find even the kids on 125s in MGP more interesting than any of the AMA race series. It seems that the AMA series stack the rules somehow to favor particular manufacturers for different classes. How else to explain the Suzuki domination in SB, but not in WSB? Shoot, it's not domination, it's...ridiculous.

That's exactly what I do. Be sure to find out when CBS is carrying a few of the GP races so you don't miss those races.

markgoodrich

That's exactly what I do. Be sure to find out when CBS is carrying a few of the GP races so you don't miss those races.

Excellent point, I didn't know about CBS, and missed the last one. They're doing June 30 and July 15, but just the big race, 250 and 125 will still be on Speed...this from the CBS press release, but I could swear I also read they'll be doing Laguna Seca.

They're doing June 30 and July 15

Great...so they can mess up Assen and Sachssenring too!

We heard what the normal MotoGP announcers sounded like at Catalunya today via the MotoGp podcast...they played a few laps of the race. MUCH more exciting! These guys were out-of-their-seats-excited about the dogfight between Rossi and Stoner...on CBS it was more like..."um, ok, so Stoner kind of went by...yeah, so Rossi passed back...uh-huh, ok Stoner again...so in Nascar the driver mentally prepares for the race by doing pilates, how do these DRIVERS prepare, Kevin?" dopeslap.gif

Archived