IGNORED

Bogus or Not> You Decide???

hopz

This morning I searched the Boise,Idaho Craig's list for BMW's. And an ad for a 2000 K1200RS with all the farkles, beyond excellent price and etc. popped up. I responded... got this reply:

"Hi,

There are 11820 miles on it, the bike is in great condition, it has been properly maintained, never been dropped or abused in any way. It has clear title and the price I'm selling it for is $2980, which is including all the shipping charges.

I live in Boise but currently I am with work in UK, London for the next approximately 7 months. Anyway, there shouldn't be any problem, because I am using MoneyBookers services so I can sell the bike without difficulty.

I left the bike at their warehouse before leaving to the UK. They will take care of the delivery. There's a 14-day return policy so you will have the chance to test, inspect and ride it before final decision.

So if you want to purchase it, let me know and I will explain you how MoneyBookers works and how we can move forward.

I am waiting your email.

Thanks"

Needless to say I sent the money right away...! Well, not really.

This one SCREAMS "BOGUS", and by this afternoon it was taken down. Damn I guess I missed that one.

Still shopping.

But seriously folks- did I do bad by responding? Can they ruin my virtue with just my e-mail address? etc?

Scam, but it would be nice to scam them back somehow. Send him a bogus and counterfeit cashiers check just to let them know you can play too.

Scam, but it would be nice to scam them back somehow. Send him a bogus and counterfeit cashiers check just to let them know you can play too.

YES!!! lmao.giflmao.gif

YES!!! lmao.giflmao.gif

I did that a few years ago...never heard from them again confused.gif

but seriously folks- did I do bad by responding? Can they ruin my virtue with just my e-mail address? etc?

Probly not with just your e-mail alone, but it does give them a place to start phishing for more info... These days, anything that has to do with an overseas transaction, you can bet is a scam.

ooo.gif

This is an interesting twist. Normally, the scammer finds your sale item (let's say a motorcycle) and offers immediate acceptance of the price and tells you he will send a cashier's check to you plus a little extra for your trouble. He also is always out of the country and works through various agencies (his own) to expedite the transaction.

But, this is very clever. It's kind of a reverse situation and I think you've just discovered the curve ball to what has been a pretty common scam.

By the way, I actually experienced this scam and the scammer sent me a B of A Cashier's check. It looked really good, but I called B of A and they said it was bogus.

I'm still working on receiving my 20 million dollars from the offices of a deceased Nigerian who wanted me to handle the transaction of his estate.

bruce

There's a sucker born every second... Glad to hear you're not one of them.

Had a guy come to our front counter one time. Wanted to report a fraud. Apparently he had advertised his car for sale on ebay. Got a buyer from (you guessed it) Nigeria, who sent him a cashier's check for $5000.00 over the agreed upon amount with some kind of story, The idiot deposited the cashier's check waited a couple of days and sent $5000.00 to Nigeria. Before he could ship off his car the cashier's check bounced.

He was very surprised to hear that our police department did in fact not have a substation in Nigeria eek.gif and that we would not be doing any follow-up investigation regarding this particular theft. dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Well, I don't know... it sounded pretty good to me. I guess I will have to cancel the order for the Bar Backs and the Satintune and the Tank Bag. Man, I was looking for a ride to Boise too.

Shoot.

Agent_Orange

"He was very surprised to hear that our police department did in fact not have a substation in Nigeria."

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giftongue.gif

Bored?

If you want to see how some people have turned the tables on the 419 (Nigerian) scammers, check out some of the sites that that document the back-and-forth email threads between the scammers and their supposed "victims". There's a lot of time and effort that goes into this.

"The 419 Eater"

Nigerian Scam letter museum

I suggest being careful about creating "bogus and counterfeit" cashiers checks, even as a joke on a spammer/scammer.

Archived