IGNORED

One of my worst fears

BRT Rider

One of my worst fears came true last week when I hit a deer at highway speed (50+ mph) on CR 29 in upstate NY (Americade week)

My beloved 2000 RT (56,137 k) was totaled and I was very lucky because I wasn't. I went over the top of the deer and tumbled down the highway about 120 ft. I was wearing all the proper gear and suffered only minor injuries considering what could have happened. I dislocated my collar bone at the AC joint, and have a few minor scrapes on my knees and hand.

To help take the pain away, yesterday I put a deposit on a 2007 K1200GT.

wink.gif

Oh, so sorry to hear of your mishap frown.gif But glad you were not hurt worse and that you've put the down payment on your medicine grin.gif

NoLongeraK1200RSRider

Pretty pricey meds.. but I hear that it is good for the soul! thumbsup.gif Glad your injuries were minor. smile.gif

Very glad to hear that you weren't seriously injured.

Every morning on my way to work I pass through a wooded area about 3 miles long that I know is populated with deer,

the evidence is often lying along the roadside. frown.gif

They are beautiful creatures, but they simply don't understand the dangers that fast moving objects present.

bakerzdosen

I always feel weird saying "I'm sorry" and "congratulations" in the same sentence, but alas... that's the situation. However, the biggest "congratulations" is obviously that you're here telling us about it.

I hit one last October in the Pacific Northwest while riding an F650 at 55 mph. Totaled my bike. ATGATT saved me too, just a sprained ankle. Welcome to the club (one neither of us wanted to join, I'm sure). Anyway, it's a heck of a way to get a new bike but,like me, I'm sure you'll enjoy the new wheels. I do watch the wooded road shoulders more than I did in the past.

Way to turn your lemon into lemonade. I know it's "unAmerican" but I stayed home last weekend.

Maybe we can ride sometime. I won't be able to keep up, though...

Very glad you're OK, and watching for Bambi, myself.

Frank Cloud

One hit me at 60 mph. Smaller deer, did 3k of cosmetic damage and I still ride the bike today. Did total the deer though.

Few things are more unnerving than Bambi with a suicide note. Never had the experience on my bike, but have had more than my fair share in the cage.

Glad you're okay and congrats on the new bike.

Just out of curiosity, did your insurance company cooperate?

I wish I could learn to ride on my country roads at 50 m.p.h. I fear hitting a deer every time I ride around here..But my bike just will not go that slow... confused.gif

Thanks for your story..I enjoy hearing about crashes that riders walk away from.. thumbsup.gif

Yes the insurance company did cooperate. I'm getting $ 7,300 and I can keep the bike for salvage or rebuild (nice winter project). I'm hoping to rebuild because I love the boxer engine, then I'll have the best of both world's.

That just plain sucks, but glad you ok. A new bike is always welcome, but at the same time you hate to see the old one gone, lots o' memories.

bncry.gif

That is one of my fears too. Glad to read you had the proper gear on and are able to ride another day.

Who is your insurance company? (if you dont mind my asking)

Who is your insurance company? (if you dont mind my asking)
I'm wondering the same thing. Did you have to buy the bike back from them, or did they give you the money AND the bike?

Glad your going to be okay. I actually had one of those dreaded creatures jump in front of me this evening at about 6;30. I don't know if its rutting season or not , but I've seen 2 in the last three days. They are definitely moving. Its good too hear that your insurance company is working with you and not against you.

The insurance coverage was $7,600, and they deducted $250 (collision deductible), and $50 salvage (so I could keep the bike). I'm getting a check for $7,300. Considering the accident I had I don't think I could have made out much better physically and financially. I am very lucky.

The insurance company is Nova Casualty. I mentioned to them that I was pleased with their service and that I wanted to use them again for my new bike, but they no longer cover motorcycles (I think they sold that division)

I guess the deer didn't have insurance? Probably drinking, too.

They really should do something to get these uninsured deer off the roads!

A number of years ago, someone tried to sue the National Park Service for creating a public nuisance by not allowing hunting on their land and therefore letting the deer population increase to nuisance proportions. Case was thrown out. Guess it wasn't in California.

Glad you're okay and ready to get back on. smile.gif

One of my worst fears came true last week when I hit a deer at highway speed (50+ mph) on CR 29 in upstate NY (Americade week)

My beloved 2000 RT (56,137 k) was totaled and I was very lucky because I wasn't. I went over the top of the deer and tumbled down the highway about 120 ft. I was wearing all the proper gear and suffered only minor injuries considering what could have happened. I dislocated my collar bone at the AC joint, and have a few minor scrapes on my knees and hand.

To help take the pain away, yesterday I put a deposit on a 2007 K1200GT.

wink.gif

Hell, Bruce, you didn't have to waste a perfectly good RT to get a GT! Glad you came out of it OK. Make a note, when you start thinking about replacing the GT in 56k+ miles, stay away from the deer; just go to the BMW shop!

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

Archived