IGNORED

Sensor position updates or not?

drzep

I've never had the oil or temp sensor positions updated, nor have I had any ZFE updates. Things have worked well so I saw no reason to have the work done.

Lately, however, the <!> is challenging my fragile sanity on long trips when I see it for hours at a time. I'm not one to stop and let the bike idle just so the system can do a level check. In terms of accuracy, it seems like the sensor is fine (I get a check if the level is OK and a <!> if the level is low). I think that its the software for it that makes me nuts. In terms of the temp sensor, its just about impossible to get an accurate reading on a moving cycle but I wasn't sure if the front placement was any improvement over having it in the tail.

So, is it worth updating the position of the sensors or can I just have the ZFE firmware updated so that I get '---' and not <!>? Not sure if the software is specific to the sensor, i.e., newer version will only work with updated oil sensor.

Thanks!

I also got tired of looking at the warning for long distances. On my early '06, BMW called for both the oil level sensor (float) replacement as well as a software flash. As it now works fine (although no reading is available when moving), I'd recommend having it done while the bike is still under warranty.

Tom

I had my 05 updated for the oil level fix. It works much better now than it did. I did get new software (which is needed along with a new float) which changed the way the temperature reading works. However I didn't get the temperature sensor moved to the front so only have half of the fix there.

My temperature sensor reads considerably higher than the actual ambient temperature (about 6 C at times). Next time its in for service I will ask them to move the sensor to the front to see if that makes any difference.

So I can't tell you about the temperature fix but the oil level fix is definitely worth it.

I had the oil check update on my O5 RT and I no longer get the oil level check mark wile riding. I get the check mark when stopped at idle and it immediately switches to air temp when I move off. However, while riding, I have seen the <!> appear occasionally indicating that the oil level in the sight glass is at 1/2 or below. I think it's an overall improvement.

My air temp sensor was also updated and I think it's more accurate but still not "perfect". It was consistently about 9 degrees low before. Now it's frequently right on but sometimes about 4 degrees high (compared to outside bank temp signs, a thermometer mounted outside on my house, and the stick on thermometer I have on the bike. grin.gif

thumbsup.gif Sounding like the updates are the way to go. It's just that mental thing about not wanting someone to screw around with my bike since it's not actually broken. Although, I do have serious brake vibration up front - looking like some new pads and rotors are in order, for the 3rd time eek.gif.
PhillyFlash
Although, I do have serious brake vibration up front - looking like some new pads and rotors are in order, for the 3rd time eek.gif.

New rotors for the 3rd time? How many miles do you have on your bike? I know my '00 is different than your '05, but with about 50k miles on these rotors, they still are fine (just checked by the dealer). Do the newer RTs eat rotors, or is this an isolated problem? Brake pads, yes; but rotors?

(sorry for the hijack)

Andrew

This sounds like a re-play of my 05 RT. When I took the bike to the dealer for the 6k service, they couldn't find the temperature sensor. Since my temp reads 6 degrees low consistently I've decided to let it go. Also, my wrench told me that the oil level light will flash on unless the oil level is at full. confused.gif

...they couldn't find the temperature sensor. /quote]

Seriously? The BMW mechanic did not know the location of the sensor. dopeslap.gif

...they couldn't find the temperature sensor. /quote]

Seriously? The BMW mechanic did not know the location of the sensor.

And "my wrench told me that the oil level light will flash on unless the oil level is at full"? You may want to search for a new dealer!

Tom

I had both sensors updated last week. The oil indicator works as intended now and I don't have to look at <!> all the time. The temperature is still incorrect, but after reading other posts on this board, I really didn't expect it to be accurate after the fix. I haven't noticed any bad things happening because of the software update.

Archived