IGNORED

Mt Concours 14 Review

wrestleantares

wrestleantares

Well,

I got a chance to see and ride the Concours 14. I knew that a lot of people here were interested in the model so I thought I would post my observations.

The C14 (as it will be referred to in the rest of this review), was at Wilkesboro Kawasaki/Yamaha. I have bought a bike there in the past.

I was vaguely aware that their were Cruisers lined up about the show room floor, but really only focused in and remember two bikes. One was a fully outfitted used blue FJR1300.

The other - the C14. The bike falls somewhere in between a r1150rt (best) and the new k12GT (not as good) in looks. It had nice lines - looked just like the pics.

The color, however, did not match the pics. More of a slate color. In fact it was identical to the Basalt Gray on my 1999 K12LT - Go figure?

Also the bike had one large analog speedometer, of almost comical proportions. It looked as if it were taken directly off of the Vulcan 1500 (another bike I have owned). Things were just getting a bit more odd.

Anyway, the proof is not in how it looks, but in how it rides. So I took the bike out. Apparently I decided not to wear a helmet, which was totally out of character for me.

Despite Wilkesboro being miles from 181 (my favorite road), that is where I ended up. I do not remember a single detail about the ride to 181, but I do remember my jaunt on that road.

The engine was buzzy at about 60 mph, and also seemed to lug a bit. I don't know what gear I was in. I was a bit frightened of the throttle, but blipped it anyway. The engine immediately smoothed out as the bike shot forward. It was in triple digits before I could exhale. Incredible straightline performance.

But what about curves. Well here is where the motorcycle falls apart. The bike feels like a pig. The handlebars may look to be sporty, but they felt like apehangers. My shoulders were sore.

It did not want to turn, and when it turned it did turn, it not want to straighten.

The bike jerkily see-sawed from corner to corner.

That is the last I remember before I awoke. My hands were both over my head (explaining those sore shoulders) and I had to go to the bathroom (from the beer I had with dinner).

An interesting dream.

That is the last I remember before I awoke. My hands were both over my head (explaining those sore shoulders) and I had to go to the bathroom (from the beer I had with dinner).

An interesting dream.

Doh!!!

There should be some sort of Party Foul enforceable for that! blush.gifdopeslap.gif

wrestleantares

An interesting dream.

Doh!!!

There should be some sort of Party Foul enforceable for that! blush.gifdopeslap.gif

grin.gif

Oh come on, it had to be obvious before that. - This seriously was the dream I had last night. I put it down to:

1. Reading here and elsewhere about the C14 yesterday (I got on a tear looking up information)

2. A late night supper involving pizza, steak, mashed potatos with turkey gravy, and beer. - It was leftover night.

2. A late night supper involving pizza, steak, mashed potatos with turkey gravy, and beer. - It was leftover night.

Ummm... speaking of obvious! grin.gif

Yeah, It was... but I am SO wanting to here a True Story about the new Connie. Having owned an early one (Rev 1.1.3, I think) I am hoping Kawasaki kept it's best stuff and brought in 21st centruy engineering. I can deal with suspension/brake upgrades...

To my way of thinking, the Concours has been sort of a best-kept-secret for a best-bang-for-the-buck type moto for a long time. OK, maybe not so secret, but too many folks looked right past it because of the 1980's tech & styling, which was Kawasaki's marketing goal from day #1.

So, my dreams are a little different than that pizza & gravy induced session you had! cool.gif

wrestleantares

I'm excited about the new Connie too. The old was an incredible bike, and I must admit to being partial to Kawasaki.

It looks like it may be my next bike - though it is way too early to tell. The price is right, the features are right, if only the bike is right.

I love my BMW, but I know I will never buy a new one - They are too rich for my blood. The only reason I have one now is because it was cheap.

wrestleantares

BTW Denny:

Are you looking to be in the market for a new bike in the next year or two, or is the Connie interest a just in case it's great?

I am looking to get into a new or new to me bike in the next couple of years. Several models have crossed my mind, but nothing has stuck as of yet. The thing is the models that I am thinking about have such different capabilities and uses.

I have thought about:

URAL - just seems like it would be a fun cruiser and commuter. Could take my kids out on it. Safer in bad weather (so I could ride it if snow threatens). And just all around fun.

Triumph Sprint ST - No sure yet how I feel about the Chain drive, but a used ST is a heck of a bargain. Love my friends speed triple and that goes a long ways towards convincing me.

ZZR 1200 - actually similar to the Sprint as it too is more of a sportbike in the Sport touring mold.

Concours 14 - The thing is awesome in the spec sheets - looks better than BMW's new direction (IMO). And is reasonably priced.

An interesting dream.

Doh!!!

wE nEED a new Graemlin...this one dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif or this one eek.gifeek.gifeek.gif just doesn't cut it..!!

I'm excited about the new Connie too. The old was an incredible bike, and I must admit to being partial to Kawasaki.

It looks like it may be my next bike - though it is way too early to tell. The price is right, the features are right, if only the bike is right.

I love my BMW, but I know I will never buy a new one - They are too rich for my blood. The only reason I have one now is because it was cheap.

I second that. I have owned 2 Connies and could never justify the price of the RT, but I always wanted one. I got a good deal on an '02 and sold my '99 Connie for 3,500. Someone on this board told me I would miss/notice the power of the Kaw but would end up loving the handling of the RT. So far, I have not missed the Kaw. However, we are talking about technology that did not change much since it first came out with the '86 Kaw. This new model may have me begging my wife to let me trade my RT. It will be a while though. Not one to jump into first year models. Unless I get to ride one thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I like that Ural 2 wheel drive. I actually got to test drive one a few weeks ago. Same idea, winter use no matter what the weather. Kids would love to be dropped off at school on it. The thing is very utilitarian, not what you would take on a long trip but certainly something cool for commuting. I will get one of this pups when I find a used one at the right price.

Archived