IGNORED

NEW KLR 650

Kraynak

I've had a lime green on order for a couple months now. I had a 1999 which I thought was a pretty good bike for the money. The new one looks to be better and even has real brakes. For $5,000 I think it's a bargin.

That was my thoughts exaclty. Post some pics. When you get it.

Saw a new one up close at T.W.O. a few weeks ago. It looks great, has a very well executed instrument panel and clocks. Fit and finish is measurably better than the old KLR and it no longer looks like a crude 20 year old beast.

The owner has also had an old KLR, he said the new one has much better brakes and a smoother engine. It looks like it easily will go anywhere the old one would off pavement also.

Nice job, Kawasaki. If you are into touring and dual sporting and can only own one bike, this is probably your best choice.

Would you consider the new BMW cross country to be in the same catagory as the KLR? Personally I think it's much better on the street and just as good on dirt roads.

Would you consider the new BMW cross country to be in the same catagory as the KLR? Personally I think it's much better on the street and just as good on dirt roads.

The cross country or better yet the XChallenge are a lot lighter than the KLR. According to Kawasaki's site, the '08 KLR is 49 pounds heavier than the '07 and earlier models. I guarantee you will feel every ounce of that weight if you get it in some sand. It looks like they tried to make it better for road use at the expense of off road use. It wasn't light by dirt bike standards before, but will feel like a tank now if you take it off road. If you ride hard off road, you are going to go down once in a while. I'm not sure how the new plastic on the front of the '08 model will hold up to a crash in the dirt. I think David's advice about looking for a used one is right on the money. A used one would be cheaper, and quite a bit lighter for off road use. The Suzuki DR-Z400S is a lot lighter, and could be ridden to and from dirt riding. The DR-Z400E is even lighter, but I don't know if its street legal.

Anybody who has weighed one finds them to be 15 pounds heavier. There's lots of improvments on this new model. You won't find many riders who moved up to the new model to be disappointed.

Yeah so would a KTM but for the price the KLR is alfully tempting. I would also use the bike for commuting to work.

The KLR's abilities lie somewhere between the X-Country and the X-Challenge. The new KLR is more street-oriented than the old one, but still can hold its own on the dirt.

For what it's worth, 2 riding pals of mine tested both the X-Country and the X-Challenge recently. They both thought the X-Country was a modern version of the 1960's scrambler - better on road than off. Unfortunately, the bikes they rode shook like paint mixers and compared to their Japanese dual sports, seemed rather crude. They were not impressed.

The BMW is far from an EXC. It's almost all street bike with light off road capability. I rode one back to back with a Dakar and it has a much better suspension and gives way more confidence on the twistie mountain roads. Only 325 lbs. I believe. I could dual sport that bike but I didn't like my XRL. I really never tried a KLR but I assume it's very similiar to the Honda. I think the bmw would be perfect . I've tried compromise bikes before and now want the best possible for the job. If you go dirt biking the 450 exc is hard to beat but if you dual sport I think the cross country is the way to go. The seat is way different than the X-challenge which is alot more dirt worthy. I'm from the east coast and I'm sure west coast bike choices are a different story.

Anybody who has weighed one finds them to be 15 pounds heavier. There's lots of improvments on this new model. You won't find many riders who moved up to the new model to be disappointed.

I don't doubt that the new KLR would be good for commuting, and short trips. I just think it would be a handful if you try to do any off road riding with it. My taste for off road runs more toward the KTM 250 two stroke with enough lights to make it street legal. A true dirt bike is going to be in the 225 to 250 lb. range. The listed dry weight on the new KLR is 386 lbs. I thought from the OP he was interested in taking it off road a fair amount. A 386 lb. bike would not be my first choice for that.

So, at this price point ($5,000'ish) are these the options?

Suzuki DRZ400-S - 291 pounds dry - $5,599

DRZ400SK7_Blue_1C4785.jpg

Suzuki DR650SE - 324 pounds dry - $5,099

DR650SEK7_Black_000000.jpg

Kawasaki KLR650 - 386 pounds dry - $5,349

092306_650_top.jpg

KTM 640 Adventure - 348 pounds dry - $8,898

640-Adv_01.jpg

BMW 650 xCountry - 326 pounds dry - $8,200

BMW%20G650%20Xcountry.jpg

If "off-road" means dirt/gravel/unpaved - I'd take the KLR any day. Even with the extra pounds.

Followed a post on the KLR Board. Guy took his KLR from the US to Tierra del Fuego and is on his way back. He did a bunch of mods to the bike before he left but apparently had zero problems with it.

From what I gather the KLR has had a recurrent problem with (I think) the cam-chain tensioner. Apparently it is easily modifiable. I wonder if they've fixed it on the new model.

Bill_Walker
From what I gather the KLR has had a recurrent problem with (I think) the cam-chain tensioner. Apparently it is easily modifiable. I wonder if they've fixed it on the new model.

EagleMike, a member here, is the maker of the famous "doohickey" that fixes this problem. I've read that they fixed it in the new model. It's hard to believe they wouldn't, given that it's such a well-known issue. Then again, it's hard to believe they didn't fix it years ago!

The good news is that's not the only thing Mike makes!

So, at this price point ($5,000'ish) are these the options?

Suzuki DRZ400-S - 291 pounds dry - $5,599

DRZ400SK7_Blue_1C4785.jpg

Suzuki DR650SE - 324 pounds dry - $5,099

DR650SEK7_Black_000000.jpg

Kawasaki KLR650 - 386 pounds dry - $5,349

092306_650_top.jpg

KTM 640 Adventure - 348 pounds dry - $8,898

640-Adv_01.jpg

BMW 650 xCountry - 326 pounds dry - $8,200

BMW%20G650%20Xcountry.jpg

If "off-road" means dirt/gravel/unpaved - I'd take the KLR any day. Even with the extra pounds.

I've got the DR650 and my riding pal has the DRZ400S. I can go anywhere he can go off road and he can go anywhere I can go on pavement. The DRZ is the better dirt bike and the DR is the better street bike of the two, but they are not worlds apart. Both of them are much better off road than the KLR.

Both of them are much better off road than the KLR.
I can't comment on their relative performance, but if the numbers above are correct the DR650E is 62 lbs. lighter than the KLR... wow. I hope that the KLR has a lot to offer to justify the difference.
I can't comment on their relative performance, but if the numbers above are correct the DR650E is 62 lbs. lighter than the KLR... wow. I hope that the KLR has a lot to offer to justify the difference.

I think it really does have more to offer than the KLR. My question has been whether the 400 is worth the extra money over the 650 Suzuki. The dealer tells me that the 650 is older technology and that the 400 has better suspension and motor. Can anyone tell me which one I should buy? I won't be jumping logs with it anymore. I'm gettin' too old. blush.gif

I just got off the phone with the dealer and I'm going in to talk to him next week and I need to pick one....I like the Honda a lot too!!!

Sorry if this is a hijack. If so, tell me and I'll move it but it seemed to fit in.... blush.gif

tHE 'zUKI 400 is water cooled...the 650 is not...

that alone made me go with the KLR...it too is water cooled.

SirRodney has a hopped up 400 'zuki and I've ridden it a bunch - it has enough nuts to get it on in dirt/gravel/hardtop .. and definately better suspension that the 'zuki 650.

If you are doing the occasional fire road/gravel/dirt and a tick of mud - and need more power get the KLR...if you wannna kick it up more in the dirt the 'zuki 400 is the real deal.

I needed more oomph - so the water cooled 650 KLR was my choice. Plus, it's a friggen hoot to haul around in town to and from work and jumpin' here 'n there - getting +55 MPG too...it's fast becoming my fav bike to romp on - on any given day. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

I think it really does have more to offer than the KLR. My question has been whether the 400 is worth the extra money over the 650 Suzuki. The dealer tells me that the 650 is older technology and that the 400 has better suspension and motor. Can anyone tell me which one I should buy? I won't be jumping logs with it anymore. I'm gettin' too old. blush.gif

I just got off the phone with the dealer and I'm going in to talk to him next week and I need to pick one....I like the Honda a lot too!!!

Sorry if this is a hijack. If so, tell me and I'll move it but it seemed to fit in.... blush.gif

Good question. Depends on how much time you plan to spend off road v. on pavement and if you can handle the seat height of the DRZ.

The DRZ is newer technology, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with the proven technology of the big DR. DRZ has a fully adjustable suspension, DR does not. I'll give that round to the DRZ. Engines: the liquid cooled 400 puts out about the same hp as the air-cooled 650, but the big mill has more torque. I've noticed that in the real world, they are very equal in performance. Comfort: the DRZ has an extremely punishing stock seat and a very high seat height. You will change out this seat if you buy one, believe me. Renazco racing will be your friend.

After much thought I chose the DR650. I like the price better and "shoot me" but I like air cooled bikes. I don't need what the 400 will do for me and I also like the seat height of the 650. My wife will be riding it too and the seat height will be better for her. That and every one that has had the DR650 loved it. I agree that proven technology is just fine.

Sooooo, today I added another bike to the stall. thumbsup.gif I think my Ducati is gettin' further away!! I needed the DR since my older boy is riding my TT these days so I never get too!

Always get the bike that floats your boat. clap.gif

The KLR has bigger ergo's, more range, and (some say) a more comfy seat from the factory. The 2008 KLR650 is definitely improved. I would not go so far as to say the balancer system issue has been completely solved, but it's surely much improved.

I've owned (and still own) several Suzuki bikes, and have always liked how they worked.

all the best,

Mike

After much thought I chose the DR650. I like the price better and "shoot me" but I like air cooled bikes. I don't need what the 400 will do for me and I also like the seat height of the 650. My wife will be riding it too and the seat height will be better for her. That and every one that has had the DR650 loved it. I agree that proven technology is just fine.

Sooooo, today I added another bike to the stall. thumbsup.gif I think my Ducati is gettin' further away!! I needed the DR since my older boy is riding my TT these days so I never get too!

Congrats - you will love the DR - everyone who owns one does. I find myself riding my DR650 most of the time now - in fact, a month after I bought it, I sold my VStrom 650 because the DR was more fun to ride!

Congrats - you will love the DR - everyone who owns one does. I find myself riding my DR650 most of the time now - in fact, a month after I bought it, I sold my VStrom 650 because the DR was more fun to ride!

If I had a buck for every owner that repeated what you just said I could buy a lot more farkels for the bike! Owners of this bike really sold me on it.

Archived