IGNORED

need spare key for 04 1150rt

barncobob

I bought a blank at the dealer, and took it to a typical keymaker at the hardware store to be cut. LOOKS just like the original, but does not work.

I dunno if the fancy pants machine at the BMW store can make this key work, or if it's toast. I'd like to hear about others' experiences.

BMW keys are steel, not chrome-plated brass that most keys are made from. Some 'key cutting centers'in Wally World or Home Despot can't handle the harder material. Try a real locksmith, or go to BMW auto dealer. Some of them may still have the old key cutters around and can duplicate a key for you, if you have the blank.

Lincoln_Faller

I had some keys cut from BMW auto blanks available at my local ACE Hardware. They look a bit clunky but work fine. Should I be worried that they're brass and not steel?

I had some keys cut from BMW auto blanks available at my local ACE Hardware. They look a bit clunky but work fine. Should I be worried that they're brass and not steel?

Probably not, as long as they work smoothly in your cylinders. They might wear a bit faster, though.

Try a real locksmith, or go to BMW auto dealer. Some of them may still have the old key cutters around and can duplicate a key for you, if you have the blank.

Most locksmiths will not cut a BMW key as it will wear their machine. I tried to get 2 locksmiths to cut a blank BMW M3 key, and they wouldn't.

I also found that some BMW dealerships (car) can't cut the keys while you wait. They had requested proof of ownership as well.

If the key will fit in the lock, but wont turn, try using a file and taking off a little bit of material. I had to do this with my Kaw.

SAAB93driver

I've had several spares made at a local locksmith using blanks from the dealer. I was told to warn whoever cut the key that is was steel. The locksmith didn't seem phased at all by that fact, cut the keys, they work fine.

Archived