IGNORED

Lowered foot pegs

drodg

Any recommendations on a peg lowering kit for the R12RT? I have bought new boots that give me some inseam help and now I have a hard time with the left foot shifting. The boots are so tall I have to pull my boot off to the left after every shift to let the lever drop. I am considering this and wondering what is out there and any disadvantages?

Paul Mihalka

If the problem is only to get more space between the footpeg and the shift lever, the lever can probably be adjusted higher without spending on a peg lowering kit.

I also added to my boots. I used the peg lowering kit in the link John provided. But I also have learned to shift with the side of the boot. Not difficult at all. I went with the peg lowering kit to give an assist to the knees. Almost makes the geometry the same as wearing regular boots.

The problem is the room between the footpeg and the shift lever. I didn't realize until today you could raise the shift lever. How difficult is it? Thanks to everyone for their input.

Just like pic.. soft and easy..

Best plan for me is shift with the side of your boot. My sole just fits in thr end of the shift lever..

Any recommendations on a peg lowering kit for the R12RT? I have bought new boots that give me some inseam help and now I have a hard time with the left foot shifting. The boots are so tall I have to pull my boot off to the left after every shift to let the lever drop. I am considering this and wondering what is out there and any disadvantages?

Is it because the new boots have a taller *toe* area, or is the *arch* area of the sole just thicker? If its the arch area raising your foot, you can have a shoe repair shave 1/2" off of just that area leaving the heel and ball areas as they are and it will make a huge difference. It worked for my wife's boots.

Thanks for everyone's posts again. The boot is raised at the toe. I got a pair of Frey-Daytona's or Daytona-Frey at www.helimot.com. They do work and they are extremely comfortable though not cheap. I figured I buy a new pair of boots about every ten years so why not buy a great pair. I got the referral to them off of here on a discussion string about taller boots.

What I did was to mount the Suburban Machinery peg lowering kit and one of their extended shift levers. This has done the trick on three R12 bikes including my current RT.

I hope that this helps.

What I did was to mount the Suburban Machinery peg lowering kit and one of their extended shift levers. This has done the trick on three R12 bikes including my current RT.

I hope that this helps.

Thanks Tim

You will likely also have to adjust the shift lever. I rotated mine down one notch after installing these. Works fine for me and a bit more space between the footpeg and the shifter.

http://www.suburban-machinery.com/R1200RT.htm thumbsup.gif

Regardless of how I adjusted the shift lever, I couldn't get my foot under the shifter with the suburban-machinery peg lowerers. I ended up adding a Touratech shift lever extender. Quite a bit cheaper (over 50%!) than the Suburban and adjustable. I admit the Suburban is a bit nicer looking.

Wonderful change now... the ergos are perfect for the tall folk...

Touratech Extended Shift Lever

You can move the lever on its splined shaft. Careful, moving it one tooth this way or that has a bigger effect than you anticipate out at the footpad end of the lever. Alternatively, by taking off one piece of tupperware, you can reach a little turnbuckle underneath that lets you make fine adjustments. It's held in place by spring clips on each end. Pop it off, turn it one way or the other, and pop it back on. Count on having to fiddle with it a few times until you get it where you want it.

The stock lever is locked on by a small torx head bolt. Lie down beside the bike and look at the rear end of the lever.

Remove that bolt and then push the shaft in, towards the middle of the bike and the splines will slide right out of the lever. Adjust and reverse the procedure. Wha la. thumbsup.gif

P.S. Check for clearance with the fairing.

Archived