IGNORED

BMWRA Rally, honoring Robert Hellman

Paul Mihalka

Paul Mihalka

So I did a 5 day ride to the BMWRA National Rally, held at the Biltmore Estates in Asheville NC. Before you ask, I did not ride my "new" R1200GS. I have a tough job. My boss - Tom Buzas, general mgr. at Battley cycles - picked a new R1200RT for himself, but he does not like to ride and baby a zero mile bike, so he asked me to do it for him. Well, I'll do almost anything for my boss...

Left Thursday afternoon from work, rode some backroads and the BRP to Christiansburg VA just south of Roanoke. Friday a easy ride again on the BRP to Asheville.

I'm not much of a rally goer (Unrally is something else) but I had a special reason. Friday evening there was a special event to honor Robert Hellman, who is retiring from being for 20 years the editor of BMWRA's magazine, OTL. Stands for "On The Level", or "Out To Lunch". Take your pick. I have a close relation with Robert, as he is around the Washington DC area and some times asks about some German stuff. He was almost by himself producing OTL, with a lot of good technical stuff, and also a lot of fun.

The good news is that editing is taken over by Meredith Hassall, a very special young lady. I already knew her when around 1990, at age 16, rode her Dad's R65 from Maryland to Colorado and up Pikes Peak. To ride from her home in Charlottesville VA to Asheville, she took her 195x BMW R51. She is from a real riding family. Her Dad a avid rider. Meredith is usually the highest mileage lady rider in the local club, BMWBMW, with her Mom, Rita Hassall, often second. To top it of, Meredith's life partner is Anton Largiader, also well known in BMW circles. OTL is in good hands.

Rest of my ride: Saturday just went riding the best NC roads, like Cherohala, Wayah Knob, visit the crazies at Deals Gap, etc. Sunday ride toward home, some BRP, some other little roads. If you know rt. 16 between the BRP and Tazewell VA, you know that Deals Gap is chicken sh.t smirk.gif . Slept again around Roanoke, Monday easy ride home, in time to ride my Kawasaki (motored lawn machine).

The R1200RT? Properly broken in. Wonderful bike... I'll keep my GS...

Lone_RT_rider

Paul,

Sounds like you had a wonderful ride. It's funny but having met you in person a few times I can almost here these words as you speak them...

If most people made that statement you would think there was some level of sarcasm involved in your statement about the RT. But with you, I think what you are saying is that there was a bit or respect for the RT but your conclusion is that your GS works better for your needs overall. Correct?

Also, its amazing that so many members from this board were in one place at one time and never saw each other. It just proves that our events like El Paeso, Death Valley Days, Texas Hill country, Torrey and the Un really do work better to foster friendships. It's not likely that we would ever miss each other at any of those events, though I have to say there are still names of people that attended Torrey that I don't remember seeing.

Congrats on making it to see your friend from OTL being honered. It really sounds like you had a great time. thumbsup.gif

Shawn

Paul Mihalka
Paul,

Sounds like you had a wonderful ride. It's funny but having met you in person a few times I can almost here these words as you speak them...

If most people made that statement you would think there was some level of sarcasm involved in your statement about the RT. But with you, I think what you are saying is that there was a bit or respect for the RT but your conclusion is that your GS works better for your needs overall. Correct?

Also, its amazing that so many members from this board were in one place at one time and never saw each other. It just proves that our events like El Paeso, Death Valley Days, Texas Hill country, Torrey and the Un really do work better to foster friendships. It's not likely that we would ever miss each other at any of those events, though I have to say there are still names of people that attended Torrey that I don't remember seeing.

Congrats on making it to see your friend from OTL being honered. It really sounds like you had a great time. thumbsup.gif

Shawn

R1200RT: Shawn, you are absolutely correct. I had many super miles on my R1100RT and the R1200RT is a step up in every respect. But now I want it lighter, simpler. Steps were R1150Rt-lite - the 1200GS is a superior bike but I still miss that one - and now the GS.

The only way we could meet among friends at a general rally is if we unorganize a mini-unrally within the big rally. I stopped going to rallies since we have our own un-whatevers and I know I will meet old and new friends to kick tires and tell lies with thumbsup.gif

As I whined in the other thread.."Missed seeing folks".

I like our "small" gathering MUCH more.

Sorry I missed you.

You know I may just rejoin the RA after a long sabatical now that the mag rag is in new hands. No offense to Mr. Hellman. Interesting history about the RA and MOA.

Politics being what they may of any organization I could not support either for years. May they both come down for their self erected pedestals and just be tools for the Beemer rider to enjoy riding their bikes.

Long live the new Editor.... wave.gif

Archived