IGNORED

Sometimes you are reading and a sentence just knocks you off your chair.

Bud

Reading Leanings 2 for maybe the 5th or 6th time. Tonight I read this sentence.

"In motorcycling, the repercussions of friendship never stop, even after we're gone."

+1 Great statment. Belongs in one of our quote lines. thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif Many of my dad's riding buddies and their families have become my family friends. I even saw one of my dad's friends show up for my Grandma's funeral. Hadn't seen him in 25 years. Rode with us in Milwaukee. "Random Riders". Those of us Bikers that have this passion in our blood are a great and unique bunch.

Reading Leanings 2 for maybe the 5th or 6th time. Tonight I read this sentence.

"In motorcycling, the repercussions of friendship never stop, even after we're gone."

One of my toughest choices I have to make while packing for a trip.....Leanings 1, or Leanings 2? Peter Egan's writing has always struck a cord with me, and they are just great books. I even got Danielle reading them thumbsup.gif.

Well, taking this thread beyond the Leanings connection, let's see what some of your favorite, thought-inducing lines from a book are. I'm not talking about movie-type "cute" or "tough-guy" lines (but I love Steve McQueen's " We deal in lead, friend" from Magnificent Seven), but things that turn your head a different direction, suddenly.

I'm reading Lost Soldiers, by James Webb (now Senator Webb), who is a highly-decorated Viet Nam-era Marine, and other interesting things. It's really a terrific read, fiction, but obviously written by someone who knows SE Asia. Very good characters and a very complex, suspenseful plot.

The temporal setting is vague, probably the 1990s, and the protagonist is a former Marine Lieutenant, Viet Nam vet, who never really went home after the war was lost - he stayed in Asia to pursue his life there.

But he's talking to someone about an event in the war that shaped his life. The other person (an incipient romantic interest) says "The war's been over for years".

And he replies: "War's never over for the guys who were there".

Which goes a long way toward explaining why a particular friend of mine who killed people over there, and saw friends die, is the way he is.

Pilgrim

One of my favorite book quotes, that upon re-reading it seems mighty apropriate for riders:

"The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of one family grow up under the same roof."

-Illusions: Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah, Richard Bach

Archived