IGNORED

Noisy Brakes-Any ideas?

TheGeep

OK, new K1200GT, just about 600 miles on it, and the front brakes howl badly when the speed drops to under about 10 MPH. Seems to be worst before they're warmed up, but never goes away entirely even after an extended around-town run. I'm about to take it in for it's 600 mile service, but would like to be armed with some knowledge before I go. Anyone out there with a good idea what this might be?

I use (wellworthproducts.com)Squeal Aid,Have used for 15 years on cars and bikes,,Rough up pads,spray on,let dry,,My LT could wake the dead,,Dealer is going to tell you its normal!!Soft braking well glaze the pads,Noise is comen with link brake sys..Hope this helps,,

The R1200ST that I have squeeled just before reaching a full stop. There was a bulletin for it and I had it taken car of. Not sure if the K bikes use similar brakes. They now use some rubber washers between teh rotor and the wheel.

Just had a K1200R loaner and thought it was just beat -- 4k mi-- same wild brake noise, never asked for an explanation given the goofey throttle response and even more than usual BMW gear case gnashing. Response, "They do that..."

Ommmmmmmmmmmmm!

K1200S did the exact same thing. Dealer says it is normal because of "high perfromance" brakes. Sounds like bunk to me, but they told me to just brake harder. They also told me it gets better over 1500 miles.

Have to say it did get better, but not still gone. I have changed my riding style to brake harder from higher speeds (10 and above) and utilize the rear brake more under 10 mph (also dealers suggestion) . It has greatly reduced the brake noise, but time to time I forget and when I am doing allot of city riding it comes back.

Sparky_in_Houston

I see you rode a 2003 GT and now a 2007. I have a opportunity to get 2003. In your opinion, should I hold out for a used 2006 / 07? Also have an opportunity for a 2005 R1200 RT.

Any opinions?

Thanks

Sparky

The only reeason I chose the GT over the RT was the quicker acceleration. Having put a few miles on it, I think now I would have been perfectly happy with an RT as well, and saved a considerable amount of money. As for the old GT vs the new version, there just is no comparison. The new version is incredibly improved over the old one.

Now, does anyone know what my brake noise might be and how to correct it?

Calvin  (no socks)

When my Beta '05 "S" was new it made a rear rotor howl of sorts.. It eventually went away with use... same rotors, same pads 25k miles later...Numerous sets of tires...... lurker.gif

Archived