IGNORED

UnRally VI Website

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

I'm happy to announce that the UnRally VI website is up and running. Stay tuned to the website for announcements, route plans, and other information as we get close to UnRally time.

http://www.unrally.com/

Thanks,

Mark

• 3 weeks later...

Mark,

Any more thoughts on when registration will open up and when/how we'll be able to see the attendees list?

• 4 weeks later...
Mark,

Any more thoughts on when registration will open up and when/how we'll be able to see the attendees list?

++ on Ken's question...inquiring minds NEED to know grin.gif Only 6 wks to go!

• 2 weeks later...
Mark,

++ on Ken's question...inquiring minds NEED to know grin.gif Only 6 wks to go!

Five Weeks and the days are dwindling down. wave.gif

Les is more

To you all,

Mark & Sylva, volunteers with very busy lives apart from the Un, are working things out with the Rivermen to YOUR best advantage. There is plenty of time for registration to take place. I'm as antsy as the next person for this trip, trust me, but relax people. Mark and Sylva are putting together a great Un. The details are all but hammered out and although registration is your main job, It's really only one small part from their perspective. Pack, unpack, repack, plan and dream but please be patient with two people doing a yoeman job. wave.gif

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)
To you all,

Mark & Sylva, volunteers with very busy lives apart from the Un, are working things out with the Rivermen to YOUR best advantage. There is plenty of time for registration to take place. I'm as antsy as the next person for this trip, trust me, but relax people. Mark and Sylva are putting together a great Un. The details are all but hammered out and although registration is your main job, It's really only one small part from their perspective. Pack, unpack, repack, plan and dream but please be patient with two people doing a yoeman job. wave.gif

Thank you Leslie!

Everyone, I'm just coming up for a breath after several days of business travel. We tried to get the final details for reg hammered out while I was on the road, but between plains, airports, rental cars and broken schedules it didn't come together. I've got my feet back on the ground and we should be able to get registration up and running this evening. (God willing the creek don't rise, etc.)

Mark

Mark,

On your Unrally website, you state "We'll be handing out route information at the informal ride-planning breakfast. Come on over from the Quality Inn or your campsite to gather, eat a hot breakfast, look at bikes, and plan your day's ride."

Will we not be able to download routes in advance for entering in our GPS's? confused.gif

Lets_Play_Two
Mark,

On your Unrally website, you state "We'll be handing out route information at the informal ride-planning breakfast. Come on over from the Quality Inn or your campsite to gather, eat a hot breakfast, look at bikes, and plan your day's ride."

Will we not be able to download routes in advance for entering in our GPS's? confused.gif

I think this is an UNrally which means it really isn't a rally at all, but a bunch of people who like motorcycles getting together to ride those motorcycles and talk about them. I am sure the ride planning staff will be out on the roads shortly to provide latitude and longitude so we can all find our way to lunch and back to our beds at night!! grin.gif

Mark,

I think this is an UNrally which means it really isn't a rally at all, but a bunch of people who like motorcycles getting together to ride those motorcycles and talk about them. I am sure the ride planning staff will be out on the roads shortly to provide latitude and longitude so we can all find our way to lunch and back to our beds at night!! grin.gif

I don't care who you are, that's funny. lmao.giflmao.gif

Since I won't have a GPS, how will I find my way back across the road? lurker.gif

Les is more

Since I won't have a GPS, how will I find my way back across the road?

The question is, why did you cross the road in the first place?? lmao.gif

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)
Mark,

Hmmm.... Well.... I don't have the facilities to do so. I can inquire about having stuff in a GPS file. I'd do it but I'm on a Mac, and well I'll admit Macs are better than Windows at EVERYTHING else, but they suck when it comes to GPS's and mapping stuff. (Knew I could make this into a Mac vs. Windows thread. :evil grin: Down Russell down boy...)

In all seriousness I'll make some inquiries about having files for download.

Take care,

Mark

Mark,

Hmmm.... Well.... I don't have the facilities to do so. I can inquire about having stuff in a GPS file. I'd do it but I'm on a Mac, and well I'll admit Macs are better than Windows at EVERYTHING else, but they suck when it comes to GPS's and mapping stuff. (Knew I could make this into a Mac vs. Windows thread. :evil grin: Down Russell down boy...)

In all seriousness I'll make some inquiries about having files for download.

Take care,

Mark

Mark,

I will volunteer to help you with this if I can. I have the Garmin software (Mapsource) and if you can send me some suggested routes, I will create some Garmin compatible routing files (GDB extension). Let me know what I can do! clap.gif

Bob

I just discovered, rather was pointed to, the sport touring site so the time is too short for me to make the UNrally. It sounds like great fun so I hope I can make it next year. Do you move it around? I love riding in WV so it would always be a great destination as far as I am concerned. clap.gif

Hello and welcome, "bodhi"! wave.gif

If you can't make it ALL the way to the Unrally, perhaps you have time to make it to one of the Rally points of the Pied Piper Run heading east? Check out the Pied Piper Run thread in the UnRally Forum and meet up with us in either Dallas (TX), Bentonville (AR) or Nashville (IL)!! wave.gif

Oh, and AFA what Ken said:

Do you move it around?

Yes, It is usually a west coast, central, east coast, then back kind of a thing.

As Ken mentioned, it's not hard and fast, but there have only been six UnRallies to date. We also go to Torrey, UT twice a year and Death Valley area every January. Though the UnRally has never been on the west coast, we do try to keep it moving around so that the non-Iron Butt types have the opportunity to meet as many board members as possible! Leslie and I and a few others here have made it to all five so far! We are after all an Online, On-Road Motorcycling community! thumbsup.gif

Here's some trivial Unrally history for you and everyone else new to the DB:

UnRally-I was in Gunnison, CO (just west of center); July 21-23, 2002

UnRally-II was in Eureka Springs, AR (just east of center); October 7-9, 2003

UnRally-III was in Cody, WY (just west of center); July 12-15, 2004

UnRally-IV was in Staunton, VA (definitely east coast); June 7-9, 2005

UnRally-V returned to Gunnison, CO (just west of center); June 20-22, 2006

UnRally-VI is in Fayetteville, WV (practically east coast); September 4-6, 2007

For balance, 2008 will likely be a bit further west from the previous UnRallies. smile.gif

Paul Mihalka

For balance, 2008 will likely be a bit further west from the previous UnRallies. smile.gif

How about one somewhere in Oregon/Washington? I do need an excuse to take three weeks instead of two and have a good visit on the West Coast! grin.gif
Yeeha! Stephen
Since I won't have a GPS, how will I find my way back across the road?

The question is, why did you cross the road in the first place?? lmao.gif

Allow me... "To prove to the Armadillo that it can be done." thumbsup.gif

Yeeha! Stephen
I'm startin' to get a hankerin' fo sum pie

The Love Tour 07

Hankerin' for Pie is a full time thang for Miss Vicki. Caint hold her back.

Maybe we should just put her on the trail like a Bloodhound!

Yes, It is usually a west coast, central, east coast, then back kind of a thing.

As Ken mentioned, it's not hard and fast, but there have only been six UnRallies to date. We also go to Torrey, UT twice a year and Death Valley area every January. Though the UnRally has never been on the west coast, we do try to keep it moving around so that the non-Iron Butt types have the opportunity to meet as many board members as possible! Leslie and I and a few others here have made it to all five so far! We are after all an Online, On-Road Motorcycling community! thumbsup.gif

Just west of the center of what? grin.gif

Just west of the center of what?
Yeah, I wasn't going to rib Jamie, but I did find it kind of amusing that he thinks Colorado and Wyoming are "just" west of center.

I suppose strictly speaking geographically he may be right, but still!

Oh, Hi Jamie! wave.gif

Just west of the center of what?

Why, the universe . . . aka Bud and Ken's places, of course!! lmao.gif

Hi guys! wave.gif

Les is more

I'll bet he was thinking "Just west of nothing but cornfields and stick straight roads." Or maybe it was that geography thing. grin.gif

I'll bet he was thinking "Just west of nothing but cornfields and stick straight roads." Or maybe it was that geography thing. grin.gif

Illinois, 318 miles, 11 curves. grin.gif

Pulling out of your driveway is NOT considered a curve.........10 lmao.gif

Yeah the old joke is Kansas has two curves, one if you want to go to Oklahoma, the other one if you want to go to Nebraska.

Here's something for you geographic anal-retentive types to chew on! grin.gif

The geographic center of the conterminous U.S. (48 states) is near Lebanon, Kansas.

The geographic center of the U.S. including Alaska and Hawaii is west of Castle Rock, South Dakota.

The geographic center of the North American continent is 6 miles west of Balta, North Dakota (to be fair to all our North American members who could conceivably ride their own bikes to the UnRally).

181799620-L.jpg

Distance from Lebanon, KS ( 98°33'15.19"W) as the crow flies:

Gunnison, Co to Lebanon, KS= 460 miles

Eureka Springs, AR to Lebanon, KS= 355 miles

Cody, WY to Lebanon, KS=625 miles west

Staunton, VA to Lebanon, KS=1050 miles

Fayetteville, WV to Lebanon, KS=945 miles

Distance from Castle Rock, SD (103°25'30.00"W) as the crow flies:

Gunnison, Co to Castle Rock, SD=480 miles

Eureka Springs, AR to Castle Rock, SD=785 miles

Cody, WY to Castle Rock, SD=280 miles

Staunton, VA to Castle Rock, SD=1340 miles

Fayetteville, WV to Castle Rock, SD=1250 miles

Distance from Balta, ND (100° 2'17.09"W):

Gunnison, Co to Balta, ND=750 miles

Eureka Springs, AR to Balta, ND=875 miles

Cody, WY to Balta, ND=500 miles

Staunton, VA toBalta, ND=1260 miles

Fayetteville, WV to Balta, ND=1180 miles

Distance from Castle Rock, SD to Balta, ND (100° 2'17.09"W) =270 miles (NNW)

And not to steal any thunder from this year's UnRally, but just to be fair to the folks on the west coast, I'm happy to announce that UnRally VII, will be held 370 miles off the west coast of Vancouver Island--just look at those mountains!!! clap.gif

181799574-L.jpg

Paul Mihalka

"370 miles off the west coast of Vancouver Island". I'd like it west, but not THAT FAR west. I used to be a good swimmer, but not THAT GOOD grin.gif Now 370 miles EAST of Vancouver Island would be great.

Conterminous? confused.gifconfused.gifconfused.gif

See, that's why I don't have a GPS for the bike. I'd have to learn words like "conterminous." I'd have trouble telling the dang thing to "Take Me Home" and yet there are folks like Jamie who program their GPS for the "Conterminous" point in the country. Heck, I can't even pronouce it, let alone find it. And there is no way I'd ever figure out stuff like TTFF. For someone like me it means TaTa For Now, but for you GPS types it's something like Time To First Fix, which I thought was a drug addicts term. And what about WAAS - Wide Area Augmentation System. Wide Area Augmentation - sounds like some sort of this new fangled butt implants for a big girl. Not only am I saving my money by not getting a GPS, I'm also saving my sanity. Do you remember what sanity is, Jamie? It came and went long before "conterminous."

Word of warning Jamie - If you show up and start using words like "conterminous" to the people of West Virginia, well - it will be long, one sided conversations.

With all that said, I see no problem with the suggested site 370 miles west of Vancouver. It looks to me like those mountains have a lot of blue sky over them! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

Twenty Five more days until I head to West Virginia!!!!! clap.gifclap.gif

Ya, ya, ya...

Slow work day Jamie?

OK so in BMWST.COM A.R. speak, "just" means < 625 miles, "practically" means +/- 945 miles, but "definitely" means => 1050 miles? The delta between just and practically seems a lot greater that the delta between practically and definitely. Geographic center of the conterminous U.S. presumed.

I don't know Jamie, seems pretty loosey-goosey to me. I think we need a committee to study and define the exact parameters of these terms. (You chairing of course!) thumbsup.gif

No I'm home and I should be out working on Maynard! tongue.giflmao.gif

But, y'know, if you just measure distance from a virtual vertical line going through the various center points to determine miles east/west . . . . eek.gif

Oh, never mind!! I've got REAL work to do--I've got a 7000 mile trip to get ready for! clap.gif

Oh, and Bob, should I have said "contiguous"? Is that better? lmao.gif

Archived