IGNORED

Saddle Sores???? A possible prophylactic is.......

shatzbot10

to go to a local bicycle shop (or outfitter) and buy two items:

1) Spandex/nylon shorts that have a chamois sewed into the crotch.

2) A protectant cream (Chamois Butt'r is what I used; however, there are others available)applied slightly less than liberally BEFORE your sojurn.

I just completed 300 miles in scorching (ave. temp 92) Texas sun. After showering at home: No sign of rash!!!

I hope this info helps any experienceing this annoying consequnce of extensive riding.

+1 I haven't used this method yet on the motorcycle, but it works !!GREAT!! on the bicycle. clap.gif Did 85 miles last Saturday and the backside was rash free! Sore, but rash free!

They make bicycle undershorts with the same insert but thinner material overall that work well for moto applications.

Rocket_Cowboy

My preference is to use moisture wicking, seamless, undershorts when I'm planning to do distance rides. If I can stay dry, I don't tend to need powers or creams to fight monkey butt ... it never sets in. Dress incorrectly, and I'm looking for relief.

smiller said A Russell seat.

+1.

I could only withstand an hour on the stock seat, and I was nearly SCREAMING at the end of that hour. With my Russell, the rest of my body gives out before my butt does. Bicycling shorts can add some comfort over regular jockeys, but I only go that route if I'm going to be in the saddle for l-o-n-g periods on hot days.

And Green Gold Bond didn't work for me wave.gif

------------------

Chris (aka Tender Vittles )

Little '77 KZ400 in the Big Apple

Black '99 RT for Everywhere Else, such as ...

310287-mar2004.gif

The worst thing I did was take someones advice on this board to wear biking shorts on my RT. First of all there designed for a bike seat not a motorcycle. It was a 200 mile trip - thank god it wasn't longer. The seams of the padding were cutting right into my legs. (But there great on the bicycle eek.gif) the discomfort was unbearable. Could not sit down for a few hours at the end of the trip. The best thing I found was under armorer compression shorts under textile riding pants with your butt in a Russell. 500+ mile days no problem. grin.gif

Chugger

Saddle Sores? I can honestly say I have never experienced such a thing.

Did 400 miles on Nubb last Saturday. Arrived home wishing to do another 400. Butt fully intact and ready for more.

I will be getting a Russell just to make it even better. My old ridin buddy has one on his RS and can't say enough about it. BTW I went to the Corbin shop in Daytona. Not impressed. For the money I'd say Russell is a far better butt holder. clap.gif

Rocket_Cowboy
Did 400 miles on Nubb last Saturday. Arrived home wishing to do another 400. Butt fully intact and ready for more.

400 miles isn't long enough. I'm good for 400 miles in street clothes. It's when I start getting towards 1200-1300 mile days that the saddle sore/monkey butt sets in.

400 miles isn't long enough. I'm good for 400 miles in street clothes. It's when I start getting towards 1200-1300 mile days that the saddle sore/monkey butt sets in.

Charlie, your not in a hurry, are ya? thumbsup.gif

Oh, and sheepskins are the best! Comfy, warm in the winter, cool in the summer. clap.gif

ISYHTRAH

Rocket_Cowboy

Oh, and sheepskins are the best! Comfy, warm in the winter, cool in the summer. clap.gif

So many places to ride, so little vacation time. smile.gif

I've been using sheepskin for the past couple years. I'm going to give the beadrider a try next.

My RT came with teh comfort seat as standard. But what I have learnt over the years is to use seamless bicycle shorts in place of my regular underwear (Jockeys). The comfort is total.

I have done 1000 mile days and have stopped only because it's time to sleep.

It's the seams and edges of your underwear that cause saddle sore. Those who wear boxers might experience a lower level of saddle sore since the seams are not under the butt.

So many places to ride, so little vacation time. smile.gif

I've been using sheepskin for the past couple years. I'm going to give the beadrider a try next.

Trust me Beadriders SUCK,I rode 50 miles,Back was killing me,,Filed it in the first trash can I saw,,

Bicycle shorts are out.

Do a google search on "Coolmax seamless mens underwear". This will be a good place to start. When you do long distance rides, you can't have seams on your rear end. Also, moisture is your enemy. I use a little baby powder in my underwear and socks along with using the Coolmax (wicking material) or equivelent. I did a BBG (1600 miles in 23 hours) with very little backside discomfort. My problem was neck fatigue.

M

DavidEBSmith

Trust me Beadriders SUCK

YAMV. I've done a couple of Iron Butt Rallies on beaded seat covers, and the only reason I didn't have mine on for the whole rally last time was that the extra 3/4" of seat height from the beads was just enough to get my sciatica barking.

The answer for a** comfort is that there's no one answer for a** comfort. There are some things that work for a lot of people, some things that work for some people, and a lot of things that don't work for most people.

Things that tend to work for most people are:

- Well-designed custom seats

- Wicking synthetic seamless underwear

Things that work for some people and not for others are:

- Beaded seat covers

- Sheepskin seat covers

- Well-designed custom seats

- BMW stock seats

- Gold Bond or Monkey Butt powder

Things that don't work for most people are:

- BMW stock seats

- Well-designed custom seats that aren't custom made for the rider

- Cotton underwear

- Jeans for more than 200 miles

UNDERARMOR guys its not the leather in the shorts that works its the wicking of spandex or any spandex product. 3500 miles last week on a GS stock seat and could do 3500 more. You really dont need to spend the big bucks on the cycle shorts I dont even have underarmor I have Nike pro shorts and New Balance long spandex pants both work Very well I never use powder as it will cause problems when you do get hot....... want a pic of me in my shorts??????????????? I didnt think so

Eric

bAG bALM...

find it at a farm/fleet store or a pharmacy

Hydrocortizone creme or ointment..awesome.!

wicking materials a MUST...no seams...

Play on.!

Be careful with "baby powder"...it is corn starch, which is excellent substrate for fungi (think "tinea," as in jock itch, athlete's foot, etc). There are several products that avoid this ingredient....Zeasorb comes to mind.

Also, I'm sure this Russel seat is a good option to prevent ss's; however, the more inexpensive route should be worth some consideration.

I did 5500 in 13 days, on a used russell seat with 50k on it.

I was little sore & tired when I got home but it wasn't too bad.

grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif

bAG bALM...

find it at a farm/fleet store or a pharmacy

Hydrocortizone creme or ointment..awesome.!

wicking materials a MUST...no seams...

Play on.!

Although UnderArmour has seams, they're flat and very thin. I did 680 miles in 11 hours riding from Albuquerque to Austin with UnderArmour shorts under my jeans. I was a little sore but the UnderArmour kept my behind dry and I never felt the seams.

Normally I wear "Wicker" brand underwear when riding, but they just don't help completely. Today I tried some bicycle riding underwear which are thin, have long legs, and the padded crotch area. Rode my 1150R with the standard seat 300 miles straight through. I know that isn't much for an Iron Butt rider, and I usually go further on the RT, but I think the bicycle underwear helped. My wife says it looks like you're wearing a Depends. Yuck...

+1 on the under armour. I did over 1100 miles this weekend to and from the RA rally. My hiney feels great even though I need to send my seat back to Rocky Mayer for some adjustment. Dave

Strongly suggest a leather-covered saddle. I am enduring a vinyl BMW saddle until my new Corbin leather gets here and am having flare-ups of pimples from the perspiration the seat covering promotes. Powder only postpones it.

I ran across a package of nylon briefs, Yes, in the Mens department, of Target, and yes they sort of look like panties, but they are way comfortable on the long haul and ABC is a must.

Anything But(T) Cotton.

Avoid Monkey Butt....

And the pronounceation is Bey Em Vey....

Steve_Witmer
Although UnderArmour has seams, they're flat and very thin. I did 680 miles in 11 hours riding from Albuquerque to Austin with UnderArmour shorts under my jeans. I was a little sore but the UnderArmour kept my behind dry and I never felt the seams.

Another tip for long-distance comfort -- don't wear jeans. Regardless of your underwear, the seams and pockets provide good opportunities for discomfort to set in.

+1 on the underarmour

forget the expensive cream. for the last 14 years i WAS a competitive cyclist (currently a fat, lazy ass). rode 9-10,000mi/year. just put some noxzema on the pad in the cycling shorts. cheap and works fine.

Another tip for long-distance comfort -- don't wear jeans. Regardless of your underwear, the seams and pockets provide good opportunities for discomfort to set in.

+1 on the underarmour

I never felt the seems or pockets of the jeans. Maybe that's a testament to the Airhawk cushion I was sitting on. However, none of my jeans have seems or pockets placed where I end up sitting on them.

GoGo Gadget

Currently on day 11, and 6000 miles into my 9000 mile trip. Bought some Ex Officio brand performance underwear before I left. They are moisture wicking and have an odor resistant property to them. Between them and the Rick Mayer seat, I have been fine as far as my butt goes.

Currently on day 11, and 6000 miles into my 9000 mile trip. Bought some Ex Officio brand performance underwear before I left. They are moisture wicking and have an odor resistant property to them. Between them and the Rick Mayer seat, I have been fine as far as my butt goes.

I'm sure the odor resistant properties come in handy on an 11 day trip, personally I like to change my underwear on a daily basis... smirk.giftongue.gifgrin.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist. smile.gif

I tried bicycle shorts a few years ago. They had some sort of gum at the hems to keep them from riding up. The gum gave me blisters.

mountainred

Five BMW's and 5000$ worth of mods on them over the years, the Rick Mayer seat I just went up and got, is the best money spent without a doubt. His prices are the best too. I just hope he doesn't read this and change them.

after having completed a 4500 km trip to Spain from Germany in 7 days,with all possible kinds of weather (cold, rain, humidity, heat and high temperatures), having used a skin- friendly cream and seamless bike unterwear, my recommendation is one and simple: have more breaks, make more stops!!!! it really helps!!!! lmao.gif

I tried bicycle shorts a few years ago. They had some sort of gum at the hems to keep them from riding up. The gum gave me blisters.

I had the same concern, but it turned out not to be a problem and the rubber kept the legs of the shorts from riding up. The fact that you got blisters suggests a possible latex allergy, which is not all that uncommon.

Archived