IGNORED

Quick rev limiter question

E30TECH

Yesterday whilst doing a little hooning, I ended up bouncing off the rev limiter around 7500 RPM. I wanted the rider behind me to see if I was blowing smoke throughout the rev band.

Since I got away from him too quickly for him to see ( smirk.gif ), I did it again while he was paying attention. This time the bike went up to 9K and the limiter never came on.

Any ideas as to why that would happen?

Are you running synthetic rev limiter fluid, or the conventional stuff?

Good one Russell. Perry, you are too easy tongue.gif

When you said it passed the rev limiter, was it as you were accelerating or downshifing? You can over-rev downshifting.

Are you running synthetic rev limiter fluid, or the conventional stuff?

Good one Russell. Perry, you are too easy tongue.gif

When you said it passed the rev limiter, was it as you were accelerating or downshifing? You can over-rev downshifting.

No I was playing along nicely.

I was in 2nd going to 3rd - no downshift.

Thats the same deal with a car, you can over rev by downshifting.

ShovelStrokeEd

I find the 9K thing hard to credit. I don't doubt that you saw the tach go there but I have some doubts about the motor getting there and not misbehaving. Probable valve float being just one of the things.

The Motronic rev limiter works by cutting the fuel and, 9000 RPM is one pulse to the injectors every 6.6 msec. Given that they probably would have gone "static" long before that, they might have continued long enough to allow the revs to climb that far, its a stretch but I suppose it could happen.

More likely, lag in the tach and some overrun caused a false reading.

I find the 9K thing hard to credit. I don't doubt that you saw the tach go there but I have some doubts about the motor getting there and not misbehaving. Probable valve float being just one of the things.

The Motronic rev limiter works by cutting the fuel and, 9000 RPM is one pulse to the injectors every 6.6 msec. Given that they probably would have gone "static" long before that, they might have continued long enough to allow the revs to climb that far, its a stretch but I suppose it could happen.

More likely, lag in the tach and some overrun caused a false reading.

Thats basically what I was looking for.

Thanks

Archived