IGNORED

RA Rally at Biltmore Estate

Will Knight

Will Knight

Had a great time at the BMW RA RALLY this past weekend at the Biltmore Estate, in Asheville, NC. There were around 3000 people at the rally.

Go to the URL below to see a few pictures of the rally.

BMWRA RALLY at BILTMORE

pedro cerveza

I was thinking of calling it Dustfest. It was nice meeting a few folks. The local riding was great! I rode up with Rich Edwards and some of the Tampa Bay riders. Rich is riding on through the Canadian Rockys.

We had a great time as well! Were you with the FL guys in the river on Friday afternoon? If so, I was the chick who didn't think to pack a swimsuit so was out there in the middle of the river near ya'll in my shorts and t-shirt. (with my DH in similar attire) At least I thought to pack a dark colored shirt. grin.gif Would have ended up looking more like a HD rally had I not. (wet t-shirt contest anyone?) lmao.gif

It was quite entertaining watching everyone negotiate all the rocks coming in and out. "Crabwalk! Crabwalk!" And we thought motorcycling was dangerous. lmao.gif

I also enjoyed that there was a Competitive Trail Riding event (horses) going on at the same time. Prior to getting obssesed with motorcycling I competed in endurance races, a sport very similar to CTR. I talked to a few of the riders the day before and they said that the event organizer did not realize the RA Rally was going on at the same time. But most of the riders did not really seem to mind, the majoprity are of the same "let's just find the adventure in it" mindset as us. I did see one horse rather worked up at the start, but that kind of thing happens at the beginning of any such event, be the start in an open, empty field or in the middle of a motorcycle rally. Don't ask me how I know. wink.gif

Patti

ncsonderman
I was thinking of calling it Dustfest. It was nice meeting a few folks. The local riding was great! I rode up with Rich Edwards and some of the Tampa Bay riders. Rich is riding on through the Canadian Rockys.

Conch Republic? I got to spend some time with the Poverty riders and had a great time with them!

Also hung out and rode with a crew from Tallahassee and Gainesville!

clap.gif

Stayed downtown for the weekend with some friends. Sorry I missed out of the fellowship but, NOT sorry I missed out on the pioneer experience of the dusty plains.

Here's sampling of some stuff I saw.

Cool deco building after supper

Asheville%20-%2005.jpg

Asheville water hole from the BRP

Asheville%20-%2009.jpg

Italy? NAW!, It's NC!

Asheville%20-%2011.jpg

Obligitory bike in mountains shot:

Asheville%20-%2014.jpg

Bamboo @ Biltmore.

Asheville%20-%2015.jpg

Moss on rock

Asheville%20-%2016.jpg

Biltmore grounds

Asheville%20-%2017.jpg

Excues me sir, there's no photograpy allowed inside the house...

Asheville%20-%2023.jpg

The backyard...

Asheville%20-%2025.jpg

Had a salad with these two guys.

Asheville%20-%2024.jpg

WHere's lake Como?

Asheville%20-%2035.jpg

Almost home. (The bridge on 28)

Asheville%20-%2037.jpg

Was bummed I didn't run into more folks from this board and the Pelican Parts bunch (I just assumed each GS with more than a hundred pounds of add ons was an ADV guy or gal).

Don't think I'll make the un but I'm sure hoping to do the Paseo. I missed the quality hang.

Lone_RT_rider

Sorry we missed you Phil. I think we were at the Rally for all of 2 hours anyway. We did however get in 350 miles of quality back roads. It looks like you had a great trip. I know it's hard for you to cut loose from K-town lately so good job on getting out. Hope to see you soon! thumbsup.gif

Shawn

pedro cerveza
We had a great time as well! Were you with the FL guys in the river on Friday afternoon? If so, I was the chick who didn't think to pack a swimsuit so was out there in the middle of the river near ya'll in my shorts and t-shirt. (with my DH in similar attire) At least I thought to pack a dark colored shirt. grin.gif Would have ended up looking more like a HD rally had I not. (wet t-shirt contest anyone?) lmao.gif

It was quite entertaining watching everyone negotiate all the rocks coming in and out. "Crabwalk! Crabwalk!" And we thought motorcycling was dangerous. lmao.gif

I also enjoyed that there was a Competitive Trail Riding event (horses) going on at the same time. Prior to getting obssesed with motorcycling I competed in endurance races, a sport very similar to CTR. I talked to a few of the riders the day before and they said that the event organizer did not realize the RA Rally was going on at the same time. But most of the riders did not really seem to mind, the majoprity are of the same "let's just find the adventure in it" mindset as us. I did see one horse rather worked up at the start, but that kind of thing happens at the beginning of any such event, be the start in an open, empty field or in the middle of a motorcycle rally. Don't ask me how I know. wink.gif

Patti

I wasn't. On Friday I rode down to the Pirates Lair party in Chimney Rock. This was my first rally so I'm not really hip on the activities. I'm sorry I missed meeting most of you. The riding was so good up there I left my bike in storage in Asheville. I'm going to fly up for a few long weekends and then spend a month up there starting in mid July. Maybe I'll even learn how to ride through the twisties. If anyone is looking for a riding buddy PM me.

About a million thanks to Rich Edwards and the Tampa Bay group for letting me join them for the ride up.

I had a great time at the rally. I did no riding and worked most of the time.

All of the bands I hired came through bigtime.

Got sunburnt and exhausted checking armbands at the entrance to the camping area.

Maybe I saw you there?

m_2127fe04f32a0f4b252d6ea8ee5f1b0f.jpg

I saw a lot of folks from my local club. I did not see any other members of this board other than Marty Mayer.

I had a great time at the rally. I did no riding and worked most of the time.

All of the bands I hired came through bigtime.

Chris all the bands were great! Friday ROCKED. You and Ann did I great job! Way to step up. WE all had a great time.

Did anyone see the Slow Ride on Sat. evening. Nothing like seeing your fellow GS riders get beat by a 10 year old girl on a mini bike.

Next trip to the BRP will will have to do Slide Rock ( Off Hwy 276) Nothing like a ice cold dip in a mountain creek.

ncsonderman

I really enjoyed the jazz band on Saturday night. She could sing tongue.gif.

The slow ride was great, even the duc that never finished grin.gif I think the final race was thrown lmao.giflmao.gif

Gee Chris, Ya camped right next to us!!! Remember? Maybe you ran into the same homemade ouzo I did. YOWWIE!

The entertainment at the rally was great. Thanks!!

Mark and Cindy

DaveMac,

I've purchased a home in Mill Spring, near Columbus, North Carolina and I'm sorry I wasn't there for the Rally. We'll be pulling in to our new home on July 16th and I was fascinated by your trailer. Where did you get that? Hope to see all of you as I discover the Southeast.

Looked like great fun at the Rally and nice pictures.

Bruce

Yes, my memory is returning..yeah the ouzo was fun. Mike was cracking me up. He designated the store bought version as MOA Ouzo..smooth and refined. The moonshine version as RA Ouzo....home made. lmao.gif

I have them in my cabinet for the next time..It just doesn't take much of that stuff.. tongue.gif

Al Navecky Jr

This was my first RA National Rally. I have been to the last 2 MOA and the last 3 Finger Lakes rallies. Compared to them I rate it a 7 out of 10. Here’s is my “The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly”. Over all I had a great time.

The Good:

Location, Location, Location. Western North Carolina as some of the BEST riding on the Right Coast. And being at the Biltmore was GREAT!!

The Bad:

Main camping and venders were in a DUST bowl. No showers in the quite camping area. The Biltmore Police with there radar. They were bad on Thursday, but seamed to go away Friday and Saturday. The price of food. And only food from the Biltmore. $6.00 for a hotdog give me a break.

The Ugly:

The white showers on Friday where not to bad. But on Saturday they where down right disgusting. Did any body ever clean them!!

ncsonderman

The Bad:

The price of food. And only food from the Biltmore. $6.00 for a hotdog give me a break.

The Ugly:

The white showers on Friday where not to bad. But on Saturday they where down right disgusting. Did any body ever clean them!!

You didn't expect the Hot Dog Shop did ya? lmao.giflmao.gif

I was just happy to have showers available and since I had flip flops, I didn't mind the dirt. Most of the grime and sludge came from me anyhow grin.gif.

Hi Patti -- I guess Hiphugger and I got lucky. We stumbled onto the "quiet" camping area before we got to Rally Central and the dust bowl. We found a nice, shady spot under an enormous tree (which I had second thoughts about when that T-storm threatened), and it really was pretty quiet. But you have seen the pics . . I'm just bragging!

lmao.gif

Archived