New tire recommendation for 06 RT

Dejavu

I have an '06 rt with about 13K miles. I've done a cross country trip and just got back from a 2 day road trip from NJ to the top of Lake Champlain in NY and back. On my way back home, I stopped at a rest area and heading back to my bike, I noticed that the middle of my rear tire was almost completely worn down almost past the tread. Got nervous riding it home but made it without incident. My brother seems to think that the tire may have caught something and it got stuck on the fender where it was wearing down the middle of the tire. I've never seen anything like it before. Anyway, is that the likely reason or can anybody tell me what may have happened. The tire pressure seemed to be okay. I did notice that after my cross country road trip (about a month ago), my back tire was wearing down by the sides but the middle was okay. Probably from doing a lot of curvy roads and not adding more air to compensate for the luggage. I'd also like a recommendation on new tires as well. I do a lot of road trips so I'm looking for something that can handle long distance. Thanks for any advice.

-Vu

In my experience, once the mileage gets up there the visual wear seems to accelerate. This causes us to all of the sudden notice the wear.

Yes, they are the stock tires. I thought they would last a lot longer.
13k is a lot of miles on a sport touring tire. Keeping in mind that you can have either a) traction or b) long distance wear, the trick is finding the perfect compromise. If your primary objective is long distance and assuming you're currently happy with the handling of your RT, I'd replace them with the same thing. I didn't think ANY tire would last that long on an RT. (Not that it's a bad thing.) wink.gif

13,000 miles is great, I average about 5,000. Nothing wrong with the Road Attack in my book although the price seems to have jumped a little as of late.

Rocket_Cowboy
Yes, they are the stock tires. I thought they would last a lot longer.

The longest I've gotten out of a set of sport-touring tires is 16K, but that was when one trip on them was 10K highway miles in the course of 2 weeks in May of last year. Spirited riding or time in the twisties definitely seems to shorten life.

So far, the best I've gotten on the RT has been 9K miles ... that was on the stock BT020s. I'm running Metzler Z6's now with just over 3K on them. Little squared off in the rear from the highway miles, but otherwise looking good.

Running slightly higher tire pressures seems to help keep the tire temps down and the wear in check, but I'm still looking for a consistent 12K mile tire that gives me enough grip.

I'd be very happy if I could find a tire that would last 13K on my RT. The OEM Dunlop 220 didn't even last 4K before hitting the wear bars. That was with mostly highway riding.

You must be an easygoing rider to get that kind of mileage out of a rear tire on the RT. I am on my 5th rear tire now, though 2 of them were tortured at track days.

No worries.

Jay

4K on Dunlop 220's and I like the tire. I ride comfortably and not very aggressively but rear tire showed canvas.

Can't imagine 13k .......... I don't get that on my car (did noton past car) without aggressive driving but soft rubbers and a tight end (740iSport)

h

I've got OEM Dunlops 220's on my new RT, any opinions on what to expect, traction wise, stickiness, mileage, etc?

Sticky: OK

Traction: OK

Mileage: about 4K seems to be normal for most folks. (NOT OK!)

aggieengineer

At 7500 miles of conservative riding, my 220s had a narrow (1/16") stripe in the rubber that ran around the circumference of the rear tire right in the center. Just under the surface I found a steel cord. I had a spare set of tires waiting and put them on the same day.

Wow, didn't realize the short life of tires as I've only had this bike since December. Sarmand, I had the same narrow stripe you had. Thanks to everyone for the info. Greatly appreciated. After doing some research on the Conti Road Attack tires that I currently have, I'll probably buy them again.

I've got OEM Dunlops 220's on my new RT, any opinions on what to expect, traction wise, stickiness, mileage, etc?
A couple of weeks ago in another thread, I asked for similar feedback on the 220's that came on my ST. The feedback was resoundingly negative.

Fast forward to this past weekend... I'm given an '05 ST as a service loaner. It had Michelins (I don't know the specific model). They looked relatively fresh - not squared off and plenty of tread. Yet, they handled like utter crap. The bike would resist any turn-in and parking lot maneuvers were a real struggle. I literally felt like I was riding a gyroscope.

I got back on my own ST this afternoon with the stock 220's and in contrast, they were pure heaven. Although both bikes were almost identical, they difference in handling between the loaner and my bike was night and day - with the advantage going to my 220-equipped ST.

I don't know what to expect with regards to longevity but I'm thinking that I won't be so quick to dismiss the 220's when it comes time to replace them.

Correlation does not imply causality! The fact that your 07RS handled better with one set of tires than an 05RS loaner handled with another, makes it difficult to attribute anything to tire differences. I have Michelins on my 06RT and find they handle beautifully. With only 2K on them, I cannot yet comment on durability.

Correlation does not imply causality! The fact that your 07RS handled better with one set of tires than an 05RS loaner handled with another, makes it difficult to attribute anything to tire differences. I have Michelins on my 06RT and find they handle beautifully. With only 2K on them, I cannot yet comment on durability.

+1 with Michelin Pilot Roads on 05 RT....Experience now with second set indicates 8,000 to 11,000?(stretching it probably) miles expected..First set changed out early at 9,700 miles..Still had life left in them.....Handle well for me and they have been on a track for a day....A little noisy...I will buy them again for both bikes ('04 RT too - Her's).....

Phil........Redbrick

Richard_Spag

Just got a pair of the new Road Pilot 2 radials - feel very secure and a little bit like the old Dunlop TT100's of the 1970's when tucked into a turn. Wear is allegedly better than the old Pilots (which gave me a best mileage of 11,000 miles - but more typically now about 7,000).

Cheers

Richard

+1 for Michelin Pilot roads. I liked them on my old '00 RT, and they came stock on my '06 RT. Noisy but great tires.

10,000 miles (rear tire) on Dunlop 220's. Front 220 still has another 1500-2000 miles left.

Just replaced rear with "authority" version which has stronger sidewalls in the event of a sudden blowout. thumbsup.gif

I recently had a Michelin Pilot Roads front tire mounted on my '06RT. Although I was satisfied with the handling of the OEM Bridgestone 020, the Pilot Roads is far superior, offering much more feel for the initial turn in.

Tom

bakerzdosen

Well, I had Pilot Roads on my ST when it was new. I got 9,800 on them (and they could have gone for a bit more but were pretty squared off). I just took off (tonight) my Road Attacks that replaced the Michelins. I got 6k out of them and the steel cords were showing in one spot. 13k on Conti's is amazing IMHO.

Just replaced my OEM Pilot Roads on my 05 RT at 11,000 miles. They had a bit of life left in them but not a whole lot more. I found the front tire to be extremely noisy, especially after comparing it to the Conti Road Attacks I replaced them with. First impressions with the Contis are most favorable, they seem to have an extremely stiff sidewall, took very little weight to balance, as far as mileage I will have to wait and see. We are blessed with less abrasive road surfcaes here in the North East which tends to extend tire life. Just my two cents worth.

Fran

I have been through 2 sets of the Metzler Z6s in 20k miles. I am not pleased with the way they cup early and the lack of tread depth indication down the middle of the rear tire.

I have about 4k miles on the new Avon Storms and absolutely love them. They seem to be wearing great and turn in is completely neutral. Much smoother and quieter than the Z6s. Mileage wise by looking at the rear, I should be able to get an easy 10k+ out of them.

+++ on the Avon Storms. Absolutly hated the 2 sets of Z6's. Lots of reasons, most of which have been stated here already.

Jim W.

Went through a set of Storms in 5300 miles. Were down to the wear bars and cupped on the front. Was running the recomended presures and checked daily.

Archived