IGNORED

New Rule

Patallaire

I will not pass on the right until the car in front of me is halfway into their left hand turn that they signaled to make! Twice this weekend, cars had their left hand turn signal on, started to turn then changed their mind just as they started the turn. I was livid with the last one, a little old lady who saw an antique sale on the left and a garage sale on the right, started to turn left on a two lane road, crossed the yellow lines and aimed at the driveway, then changed her mind, and came right over to the right shoulder to go to the garage sale. Thank God I was on my A game and ride covered, I had started to go around her and saw her front wheels change directions. I was shocked! My horn worked after the fact as she sat on the side of the road, she was embarrased, I was wild, then calm. My attitude was anything that you anticipate, even when you shouldn't have to is good, be calm.

I was livid with the last one, a little old lady who saw an antique sale on the left and a garage sale on the right, started to turn left on a two lane road, crossed the yellow lines and aimed at the driveway, then changed her mind, and came right over to the right shoulder to go to the garage sale.

If only there was a Kountry Kitchen Buffet dead ahead, it'd be a trifecta.

Seriously, it's too bad turn signals misinform; perhaps the EPA should install some sort of auto pilot that takes charge of steering once the signal is set.

Wooster

Hey I was behind this old raggedly pick up converted into some kinda Clampett wrecker that had its right turn signal on coming off a highway interchange where they would have exited right and I am thinking the guy just didn't turn off his signal. Well he is in a lane you continue in for about 3/4 a mile and exit or merge in to my lane. Well as I see him constantly looking back in my direction I start backing off as he changes lanes into my lane...Guess someone wired the turn signals backwards......

Joe Frickin' Friday
Well as I see him constantly looking back in my direction I start backing off as he changes lanes into my lane...Guess someone wired the turn signals backwards......

"Paging Paul Mihalka...Paul Mihalka, please pick up the white courtesy phone..." lurker.gif

I never fully trust turn signals. Actually, its the people activating the turn signals I don't trust.

I grew up driving and riding in Miami, FL where you could routinely see a car in the left turn lane, with their left turn signal on make a right hand turn across 3 lanes of traffic.

russell_bynum

I never fully trust turn signals.

I completely ignore them. They don't tell me anything worthwhile, so I don't pay attention to them.

I completely ignore them. They don't tell me anything worthwhile, so I don't pay attention to them.

While I do agree that they shouldn't be counted on, I very much disagree with the notion of ignoring them.

I never fully trust turn signals.

Yeah, somewhere I heard once, "Turn signals are only a suggestion, not a commitment."
Yeah, somewhere I heard once, "Turn signals are only a suggestion, not a commitment."

Of course, that's one reason why ignoring them is the wrong move. Those little suggestions can offer a lot of insight about a driver before other signs may play out. There are lots of things to look for from other traffic on the road, and ignoring a sign just doesn't make any sense.

Of course, that's one reason why ignoring them is the wrong move. Those little suggestions can offer a lot of insight about a driver before other signs may play out. There are lots of things to look for from other traffic on the road, and ignoring a sign just doesn't make any sense.

If I'm meeting an oncoming car that has it's left blinker on I definately don't ignore it.

ignoring a sign just doesn't make any sense.
Didn't mean to imply one should ignore it, only to not rely on it.

I never pull out from a side street in front of somebody because I think their turn signal means that they are turning onto that side street. I can wait a few more seconds for them the make the turn (or not). I'm going to bet my life that they're sincere.

I consider turning signals as a warning that the car might be going in that direction and make sure that my a** is covered if they turn or not.

What I have found lately is that people put on their turn signal and assume it gives them some sort of right of way to barge into another lane of traffic eek.gif

And, if the driver is on a cell phone, you can be sure they are coming over no matter if they have to kill you to do it.

I trust people in cars as much as I trust politicians.....

Implicitly?

No, probably not. I would put more faith in the old lady coming up to the garage sale more. She will probably react with more logic.....

Even if the driver is actually intending to turn, and in the direction of the turn signal, you still have to be cautious. Lots of drivers like to swing wide the other way before starting a turn, particularly on secondary roads with narrow driveways or cross streets. I have seen lots of drivers start a right turn by swinging wide to the left. These are often the same drivers who find it necessary to come to a nearly complete stop in the traffic lane before beginning a turn.

I absolutely never trust turn signals. Too many times I've seen some cager signal left and turn right. I watch their wheels. Closely.

Trust but verify !!!!

Yes. Sort of. My point is largely that there's still a lot in signals that can be used. Sometimes it's the intentions of the driver. Sometimes it's the level of confusion of the driver. Sometimes it's the inattentiveness of the driver.

Ignoring a car's signals eliminates too much useful information.

My three favorite rules, ride where you have the most sight distance, ride where oncoming traffic can see you the best, never pass on the right.

Archived