Legal Advise

yellojakit

Hey, everyone...just got a ticket in S.E. Wisconsin regarding an off-duty officer (who never revealed his identity) He was driving in front of me and then stopped abruptly so I motioned to the right to avoid an accident. He then tried to cut me off to the right. I still had a favarable angle on him to his left side so I then passed him with a dirty look. Thinking this guy was a road rage maniac who disrepected motorcyclists, I moved on without incident. I pulled over about a half mile down the road on a side street to adjust my pre-load and there he was right behind me. He got out of his vehicle to look at my license plate info and made a cell call to someone. Not knowing what to expect and I fearing for my own safety I got back on my bike and left. Shortly thereafter I was pulled over by the local police. I was told that I pissed off an off-duty police officer, and that I passed him illegally on the left side after I tried to pass him on the right. During this whole ordeal the off-duty officer never revealed his identity. I thought I was dealing with a road-raged s.o.b. and told the issuing ticket officer that I was in fear for my safety and that I could not believe that I was getting a ticket based on his testimony alone with no other witnesses. It was obvious that the issuing ticket officer favored her counterpart's testimony over mine. The issuing ticket officer said that any citizen can call 911 to report adverse events. Also, since I'm from Illinois I'm sure they didn't appreciate my presence. They did not take bond of any sort (which is strange since I'm from out of state) and expect me to appear next month in court. Where would you go with this? Thanks...

My guess is that there's another side to this story from his perspective, or he's pulled something like this in the past. Either way, get an advocate for yourself and don't play this out on a public forum.

My guess is that there's another side to this story from his perspective, or he's pulled something like this in the past. Either way, get an advocate for yourself and don't play this out on a public forum.

I just talked to a Wisconsin attorney who said he can most likely knock the charge to a non-moving violation but I still have to pay the $111 fine and of course his $150 fee, but still no guarantees. Representing myself would cost me more with a day off. I'll just have to suck it up, pay and learn a hard lesson.

Archived