IGNORED

BRP: Day one

Frank Cloud

Frank Cloud

BRP Day One: June 12, 2002

Work and home renovations kept me from planning this trip down to the tee. So with that in mind we decided to blow and go.

Two bikes would make this trip, my trusty old 1999 R1100RT with 19,872 miles, and my brother-in-law’s (Reggie) 1995 ST1100 with approximately 26,000 miles. I told Reggie to meet me around 9:00 a.m. on June 12 to begin.

As with every trip, I was very restless the night before. Stayed up until 2:00 a.m. packing the bike. My bike was loaded inefficiently in the following manner:

1. The top box contained my bag with clothes and necessities.

2. The right bag contained 35 mm camera and m/c cover.

3. The left bag contained a small cooler, tool kit, first aid kit and two pair of shoes.

4. Tank bag contained cell phone, maps of Georgia, North Carolina, and Virginia and my guidance system (A compass)

5. On the pillion in Helen Two wheels luggage, I packed a tent and sleeping bag.

We finally got cranking about 10:00 a.m. and set out for the Parkway. The planned route was to take Hwy 61 North of Dallas to 411 through Cartersville.

As we set out I felt that nervous twinge like I do every time I fly, but it wasn’t long before I settled in. We moved lazily up hwy 61 past where I hit the deer almost two years ago. (Every time I go past that spot I relive that scene)

I kept the speed down to around 60 mph as we headed north on 61. The weather was absolutely perfect, low 80’s and sunny. I felt right at home in my Motorport Ultra-II suit. I was already taking in the moment.

We reached Cartersville around 10:45 a.m. As we passed the small airport I watched a small single engine plane taxi out to the runway. (Glad I am not him I thought). We proceeded at speed through town and jumped on I-75 north. The original plan was to travel north for two exits to bypass all the traffic lights, but there was absolutely no traffic. I wicked it up to 80 mph and headed toward Hwy 53. We turned on to hwy 53 east heading towards Jasper, GA. “Man this traffic is light”, I thought as I wicked up past the speed limit. Hwy 53 is a four lane with big sweepers. It last about 20 miles and is a good warm up for curvy roads ahead. From there we got on 515 north (a large four lane expressway), and cranked it up to 80 mph until we reached Ellijay Georgia. Our first semi-planned stop was Blue Ridge, Georgia, which is about 100 miles from my home. We reached that destination right around 12:00 p.m. Stopped for gas and a bite to eat.

From that point it was on to Clayton Georgia to pick up State hwy 441 to Cherokee NC. Once we reached Clayton I decided to detour on 74 east to jump on the Parkway somewhere west of Mt. Pisgah. That is exactly what we did.

In route to the parkway, Reggie decided to jump ahead. Since we had no radio communication (he sold his GMRSX2 to another riding buddy) I had no way of contacting him other than retaking the lead. Hopefully, he would see the parkway entrance. One thing about Reggie, once cranked up he becomes oblivious to road signs. We are slipping along on a big curvy four-lane when sure enough I see the Parkway sign approaching quickly. I put on my blinker, honk the RT horn and watch as we blitz past. At this point I moved into action, over took the ST and guided Reggie to the side of the road. “Reg, didn’t you see the sign to the Parkway?” “Nope, guess I would have kept going”. So we back tracked 3 miles to the parkway.

We got on the parkway and headed in the direction of Asheville. Man, if you’ve never been on the Southern part of this road you have to do it. Wild flowers everywhere. Within a mile of the lazy sleepers in higher elevations I had to pull over. We were both like giddy school girls. Reggie said, “Man this is gonna be awesome” and I totally agreed. We cruised on actually maintaining the speed limit of 45 mph. One sweeper after another, taking in beautiful overlooks. This was truly going to be a great trip. As we passed Mt. Pisgah, what’s this???? A detour sign. One of the poorest marked detour routes I’ve ever seen. We got turned around and ended up taking hwy 28 into Asheville where we moteled it for the night. Tomorrow would be an even better day!

Marty Hill

Frank,

I was southbound on the brp last week. Got off on the same detour and there were no signs. Ended up 6 miles down a dead end road by following some other detour signs. Had to find my way to brevard and get on there. Missed 1 whole segment. I did the same as you going north. Still great!!!!

Frank.

You're making me jealous again... now I have to go back and read all about last year's trip and peek at the pictures... just so I can remind myself that I was there!!

Can't wait for more.

kris

Marty Hill

Kris,

Isn't it funny, I can't wait to get out to norcal and see your roads. Something about the roads are always better or was it the grass is always greener?

Archived