IGNORED

I miss my Harley

Whip

I had a Harley once.

Thank GOD for Cary Littell who got me to sell that damn thing and buy a real cross country cruiser.

I miss my Red R1100RT.

that's pretty cool whip!

I wonder what the attitudes of many here would be if it was some brand other than Harley doing this?

Thanks for sharing, you can ride the soft tail when I stop by with it.

russell_bynum

I wonder what the attitudes of many here would be if it was some brand other than Harley doing this?

I dunno. There's lots of stuff about Harley that interests me. But the thought of a zillion bikes rolling along side by side in perfect formation for miles on end is just about the most unappealing thing I can imagine. (Except for maybe a final drive failure. grin.gif )

Based on the video, "going their own way" seems to involve a lot of large formation everyone riding one way to me...

There's no doubt that Harley has the market on cool. On our little Maine ride, Dave's Harley beat my BMW ten to one in the compliment department. bncry.gif Consolation, I can blow his door's off at will. grin.gif

100_5435.jpg

Pat

Consolation, I can blow his door's off at will.

I guess if that's important to you.... sounds like a "compensatory mechanism" though lmao.gif

JerryMather
I miss your Harley too, it really opened my eyes to the pleasures of cruiser riding.

When I start to slow down, I may even get another one. I did had a lot of fun with mine until I learned how to ride. tongue.gif

I miss your Harley too, it really opened my eyes to the pleasures of cruiser riding.

When I start to slow down, I may even get another one. I did had a lot of fun with mine until I learned how to ride. tongue.gif

I wouldn't want to have just a cruiser (after all I have 4 different purpose bikes right now), but for literally cruising around the countryside a cruiser is well suited.

If I could own more than one bike I wouldn't mind having a Harley for sunday casual rides locally. But I couldn't live on only the Harley.

I would like to have one for my living room, but I can't justify 20K for a cool chair.

As for riding one, no thanks. dopeslap.gif

As for buying into being one of the millions of "individualist", I would rather not conform lmao.gif

It's just a big party favor.

Look, I apoligise to those out there who have Harleys and know how to ride them. Perhaps I'm off base and out of line but it seems to me that most who buy Harleys

just want to be cool (lemmings). I've known to many owners who have regretted owning one. I've talked to folks on em and walked away thinking, Geez, that guy shouldn't be on a bike, period. I've riden to many bone shakers and Harley takes the cake. To me it's the whole "Look at me, I ride a Harley!" I know there are exceptions to the rule and you are probabley the ones reading this.

Again,

ISYHTRAH

Lets_Play_Two
Based on the video, "going their own way" seems to involve a lot of large formation everyone riding one way to me...

I think you missed the point of the video. grin.gif

We took some long trips and went some great places on our HD.

113577952-L-1.jpg

For the record we always went alone not with 100 other HDs.

russell_bynum

lemmings

Don't make me dig up a picture of a zillion "individualist" BMW riders wearing identical Power Ranger suits and compairing PIAA Lights and GPS mounts.

cool.gif

My wife doesn't know brands but I know what kind of motorcycle she saw when she tells me, "he was riding a "real" motorcycle.." grin.gif

JerryMather
lemmings

Don't make me dig up a picture of a zillion "individualist" BMW riders wearing identical Power Ranger suits and compairing PIAA Lights and GPS mounts.

cool.gif

That's a good one.....Russell lmao.gif

I've riden to many bone shakers and Harley takes the cake.
Once on the move Whip's Harley was as smooth as my RT (which IS in tune!). Once stopped it was painful, it shook and roared horribly. I don't want a Harley, mostly because of price but also the stationary racket, but I think there is a metric cruiser in my future.
lemmings

cool.gif

Ah, but there is the key...

BMW riders generally don't claim or care to be "individualists".

I do like the road glide as a touring bike but I've come to realize that I don't really care to tour. I'm more in the mood for a wide glide.

Care to distinguish between being an "individualist" and being "unique"? Does "individualism" entail immunity from peer pressure? Is it HD's marketing message or actual HD riders who "care to be" this or that category of person?

Care to distinguish between being an "individualist" and being "unique"? Does "individualism" entail immunity from peer pressure? Is it HD's marketing message or actual HD riders who "care to be" this or that category of person?

I would say HD's marketing message is a confused muddle of the one and the many.

Lets_Play_Two
Ah, but there is the key...

BMW riders generally don't claim or care to be "individualists".

lmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif That is really funny!!!

Whip, now that it's been gone a few months......I miss mine a little too!

142_0955.jpg

I've heard that the guy who bought it has put 18 miles on it since February. confused.gif

Because my wife does not want to be on 2 wheels any more I have no regrets of the addition of a HD Ultra Classic with Motorvation Engineering Sidecar to my stable of bikes.

My wife loves the bike and sidecar combination and now asks to go on rides all the time which I find enjoyable.

Although a the motor can get blistering hot the addition of heat deflectors has helped and I think I will remove the lower fairings to allow even more air flow soon.

When I want to be by myself I still love my R bike.

I watched the video and they hit the "We Believe" thing dead center. Most people I know that ride a harley feel and portray the riders in that video. To bad "We Believe" in road rash, brain buckets and a general lack of riding protection. I'll take the group of BMW GPS sniffing, XM radio, bluetooth, cruise control, SS1000, ABS, credit card waving, wine drinking stereotypes with ATGATT. dopeslap.gif

Lets_Play_Two
I watched the video and they hit the "We Believe" thing dead center. Most people I know that ride a harley feel and portray the riders in that video. To bad "We Believe" in road rash, brain buckets and a general lack of riding protection. I'll take the group of BMW GPS sniffing, XM radio, bluetooth, cruise control, SS1000, ABS, credit card waving, wine drinking stereotypes with ATGATT. dopeslap.gif

While out today I saw a rider on a 1200RT with no helmet, shorts, t-shirt, no gloves and sandals and a H-D rider with full face helmet, leather jacket with armor, full finger gloves and riding boots. I wonder what went wrong? BTW, I waved at both and only the H-D rider waved back!! eek.gif

While out today I saw a rider on a 1200RT with no helmet, shorts, t-shirt, no gloves and sandals and a H-D rider with full face helmet, leather jacket with armor, full finger gloves and riding boots. I wonder what went wrong? BTW, I waved at both and only the H-D rider waved back!! eek.gif

Simple answer here. The two riders knew each other and were trying out each others bikes. lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

So, in X years of riding how often would this event occur versus the stereotype BMW and HD have? I believe you would find it to be a very small % of the time. You saw an exception, but that does not change the reality of what most of us see on the street every day. It's like saying "I saw a BMW with straight pipes, so HD's aren't the only ones who are loud.", it's not typical.

I see very few people wearing protective clothing in fact there are more Harley riders with a smattering of leather that covers a lot more than the typical biker I see. The only ones wearing proper clothing are squids and that's just because they think they have too. As for waving, if you wave far enough in advance when a cruiser is coming toward you they wave back. They just need a little extra time to see through the bugs in their eyes..... lmao.gif Seriously though, as long as I wave (and I could care less if they wave back) and wave with enough time for someone to respond they almost always wave back. ENOUGH SAID, I DON'T WANT TO SEE ANOTHER "THEY DIDN'T WAVE AT ME" POST!!!! dopeslap.gifdopeslap.gifdopeslap.gif

I just love how they're individuals YET as they lay in all those other voices they just sound like The Borg. One big collective...one little brain.

Overall though.. I think it's a lame-arse commercial that just builds on a tiresome stereotype

I just love how they're individuals YET as they lay in all those other voices they just sound like The Borg. One big collective...one little brain.

Overall though.. I think it's a lame-arse commercial that just builds on a tiresome stereotype

This video made me want to buy a Triumph when I was done watching it. Now that's good marketing. Triumph Rocket

I had to turn it off waaaaaaaaay before the end...what a pathetic panoply of marketing hype and sheer bovine excretia - Yeeeechhhh eek.gif!

They look like a caricature of a motorcycle built by a bunch of high school kids in shop class. Looking closely, they must make a ton of money on those things to charge what they do.

I've riden to many bone shakers and Harley takes the cake.
Once on the move Whip's Harley was as smooth as my RT (which IS in tune!). Once stopped it was painful, it shook and roared horribly. I don't want a Harley, mostly because of price but also the stationary racket, but I think there is a metric cruiser in my future.

Killer,

I'll make you a great deal on this one:

01010001021101030620070608f8841d8aa2b5927bec00b995.jpg

And would even ride it Whip's place since i have to pick up an 06 softail near there.

Whaddaya say?

roadscholar
This video made me want to buy a Triumph when I was done watching it. Now that's good marketing. Triumph Rocket

That there is funny, and possibly ironic. grin.gif

And notice the credits..."Rubberductions" lmao.gif

I miss my Harley

You want mine?

134790170-L.jpg

lurker.gif

Let me go get my earplugs first......kinda loud aint it? dopeslap.gif

You ain't trying to get rid of it already are ya Danny? lurker.gif

That was a pretty long ride on a harley.

I think they're all about ready for a beer smirk.gif

I never needed a long ride for that. cool.gif

Bill_Walker
The best marketeers in the world.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/wcm/Conte...&camp_id=13

Yeah. That there is a perfect example of one of the main reasons I got rid of my Road King. It was a great bike for a slow, easy, sightseeing ride. But I couldn't buy in to the religion, and I always felt out of place with Harley people.

That, and the thing wallowed like a pig in 75 mph sweepers. grin.gif

Bill_Walker

You ain't trying to get rid of it already are ya Danny? lurker.gif

He discovered he can't afford the chiropractor, massage therapist and audiologist bills!

Yeah, I like the female brain part. "Can change direction in an instant!" lmao.gif

ISYHTRAH

That there is funny, and possibly ironic. grin.gif

And notice the credits..."Rubberductions" lmao.gif

Geez....... and when I joined this forum I thought that most BMW riders knew what they were talking about ! wink.gif

Oh yeah...... heres my other ride....... grin.gif

000_1339.jpg

Yep, they really stick it to "the man" alright.

HD's data on their customers shows something else.

http://investor.harley-davidson.com/demographics.cfm?bmLocale=en_US

BMW riders in shorts and no helmet?

I'm seeing more of that too.

But, didn't BMWNA set their sights on broadening the customer base?

And, the recent ads with wheelies, etc..., aren't they aimed at someone who wasn't already a beemer rider?

Maybe the ads are working.

That's a shame.

HD marketing scheme has been outlined many times, books written about their "success".

And they are successful now.

Just remember that this came about after they laid off nearly half of their workforce and the US gov't enacted protective tariffs.

To me, with that history, I wouldn't be basking in the "we stick it to the man" glow. And, aren't they the self appointed guardians of American motorcycle history? Seems a bit of revisionist admongering going on. smirk.gif

Another sign of what's right and wrong with America today.

Awesome Wide Glide! thumbsup.gif

Obviously, chopped fender, solo seat, etc. you must have logged on to a forum to ask advice on how to customize your hog. From the posts on this thread, it's apparent that no harley rider has the creativity or individuality to do this on his own.

Archived