IGNORED

Do you enjoy talking motorcycles with strangers?

Bud

One day this week I stopped into the local Micky D's. It was breakfast time and there was a Goldwing with trailer in the parking lot. Looked around to see who might be riding. Saw a couple who looked to be in their 50's wearing Frog Toggs. Since it had recently been raining, I guessed they belonged to the bike which, BTW, looked brand new.

They were discouraged. First day of their trip and already had rain. They had made 70 miles that morning from their home in S. Illinois on the first day of 24. On their way to Alaska. Full of excitement and anticipation. Talked about maybe riding the haul road. confused.gif

I had a great time talking to them and wished them a safe journey. No gear, no helmets. Not my style but works for them.

Yesterday I was coming out of Wally World. I had parked next to an older Goldwing that had a lot of custom art work painted on it. The owner comes out right after me and starts talking bikes. Talked for over 1/2 hour about how he has beaten brain cancer. Rides to FL all the time. Won 1st place in a Harley show because his Wing and trailer was painted in a patriotic theme.

I started thinking about the many conversations I've had with complete strangers because of riding a motorcycle. I find it enjoyable and an addition to the riding experience.

What say you?

ShovelStrokeEd

Last one was in a restaurant/bar that I frequent.

Been noticing a guy who was there about as often as I riding a Yamaha Road Star with a few custom touches. Paint job, fringes, shiny stuff and pipes of course.

"Nice bike," says I. We were inside the bar at the time but, he still had his fingerless gloves on.

Talked a little bit about bikes and riding around here, he was from S. Africa. Got around to my bike and I had to explain what a Blackbird was, although I was parked about 8 feet from him. "I don't ride rice", was his response. When I pointed out that Yamaha was a Japanese company, he got a bit miffed. Now we nod.

Last one was in a restaurant/bar that I frequent.

Been noticing a guy who was there about as often as I riding a Yamaha Road Star with a few custom touches. Paint job, fringes, shiny stuff and pipes of course.

"Nice bike," says I. We were inside the bar at the time but, he still had his fingerless gloves on.

Talked a little bit about bikes and riding around here, he was from S. Africa. Got around to my bike and I had to explain what a Blackbird was, although I was parked about 8 feet from him. "I don't ride rice", was his response. When I pointed out that Yamaha was a Japanese company, he got a bit miffed. Now we nod.

How did you keep from laughing out loud? lmao.gif

"I don't ride RICE"????..... lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif

You sure he wasn't a Harley wanna-be???

Any tats??..Gray pony tail?? grin.gif

But on the subject: Yes, I do enjoy talking to others on bikes and initiate conversation....I think most all riders feel a kinship to other riders regardless of the type or make...

Phil........Redbrick

""I don't ride rice", was his response. When I pointed out that Yamaha was a Japanese company, he got a bit miffed."

Maybe spelling wasn't this gentleman's forte. Yamaha / Harley-Davidson are awfully close and he might have confused brands when he went to buy...

tongue.gif

and yes, I do enjoy talking motorcycles with strangers. A lot of times it's educational, other times (as above) it's quite humorous!

Mark Menard (Vita Rara)

It all depends on the attitudes of said stranger. Personally I think of myself as a motorcyclist, not a biker.

What do I mean by that? Well, a biker is into the look, sound, and perception of riding a motorcycle. Being a biker is more of a communal get together thing. (To a biker, a 40 mile breakfast ride is a big ride.)

I think of myself as a motorcyclist. Interested in travel and adventure on a bike; concerned about skills, and safety on my bike; giving serious concern to my bike, my place in the traveling world, and others perception of me as a rider.

I find that I really don't enjoy talking motorcycles with most bikers, because their interest is very shallow. It's about chrome, what rally did you hang out at, and who do you know.

Talking motorcycles with a motorcyclist is a joy. We can talk about journeys, adventures, riding technique, travel tips, bikes, etc. I've learned a lot from these conversations.

Just my $0.02,

Mark

It doesn't matter if you like conversations with strangers or not. If you ride, get use to it. wink.gif

That said, I've developed some lasting friendships as a result of such conversations.

Lone_RT_rider
It doesn't matter if you like conversations with strangers or not. If you ride, get use to it. wink.gif

At first, I used to enjoy this. Lately I am just trying to be polite and get through the conversations that most always go something like this....

Them: "Nice bike, that's a BMW? I didn't know they made bikes."

Me: "Yep, they have since 1923. I love mine. It seems really work for me."

Them:"Yeah we have neighbors that have Harleys. They go on lots of charity rides, poker runs and tons of other social events. They always seem to be going somewhere on those things. They have tons of friends. Do you do things like that?"

Me: "Not really, I am not much for riding with a lot of people and I don't care for larger crowds. I have a couple of close friends that I try to ride with as much as possible, but mainly I do day trips in the smokies by myself. Just a couple of hundred miles and then head home for a late lunch"

Them: "So you ride alone? Isn't that boring?"

Me: "No, not really. I love the ride and for me it's about the interaction with the bike and the fun that brings. "

Them (completely baffled): Well, ok....be safe on that thing. Have a good day"

Me: "You to, take care"

That pretty much sums up about 80% of all the conversations I have when I stop somewhere on my bike. The other 20% are with fellow riders that share some sort of similiar passion for what we do. I have tried to teach myself to not sound bored with having the same conversation over and over again. They are all just nice people that want to talk mostly. I try to be nice as they are to. smile.gif I guess I am calming with age... and thats a good thing.

Shawn

Les is more

I just about always enjoy anything that gets us to open up a bit to each other in this oh so anonymous world we live in.

Riding alone up to British Columbia was interesting partially because of the gas stop acquaintances made along the way. I stopped in a station up near Reno. There was a Willie Nelson looking guy there--long braid, bandana, sleeveless jeans jacket, lots of tatts, face like leather, big ol' chopper. He eyed me suspiciously when I pulled in. I felt like Pollyana as I threw him a big smile and a perky "Hi!" That was greeted with silence so I went about my business. "How're ya doin'", I chirped as I came out of the store. He just looked at me, stone faced. Finally as I was gassing up the bike, he asks, "You alone?" "Yep," says I. "Nah, I mean, wheres your ol' man?" he says with a raised eyebrow. When we finally established that I was by myself, he was committed to some sort of conversation so he asked about the bike. When he found out that I could actualy talk about bikes he really lit up. We sat on the bench outside the store, he with his beer, me with my gatorade. I traded 30 minutes of riding time for 30 minutes of motorcycle and then more general talk with someone I might never have spoken much with otherwise. It was one of the highlights of the trip.

If they are a motorcyclist, they are not strangers!!! thumbsup.gif

Well, no stranger than the rest of us I suppose... thumbsup.gif

I have some good friends here on this board and a fair number of aquaintances, but most of you are strangers to me. Still, the topic is motorcycles and I've managed to enjoy it enough to hit the "reply" button more than 6,000 times.

I like chatting with folks on Harleys. Especially when they say they wished they'd bought that Beemer they were looking at. "But all our friends have Harleys."

ISYHTRAH

I once stopped for a guy pushing (go figure) a Harley to see if he needed help. He was out of gas so I gave him a ride to the nearest station. Along the way he thanked me and asked if I rode a Harley too. When I said no he said "well, thanks anyhow, I usually don't (never) stop for Japanese bikes. confused.gif I didn't bother to mention what I rode and was just grateful that I don't see things quite that way. We got him his gas and parted company...

Every situation varies,I treat other motorcyclists as I would "normal" people grin.gif

After starting a conversation, one of us had better be learning something from the other pretty quick, or I'm "outa there". I have no time for rudeness or a forced conversation.

Not really to be honest. But it's more because of my impatience than it is the other person. The red GS draws a lot of intention, mostly because it's so different than the stereotype cruiser style bike. But it seems like when someone is most likely to come up and want to talk about it is when I'm 10 min. late to where I need to be. So I spend 5 min. on a rudimentary "crash course" description of what is, then try to excuse myself by starting to put on my helmet or something. Guess I'm not a very good emissary, but what to do when I was suppose to be back to work 30 min. ago?

I enjoy talking motorcycles and riding with riders.

I enjoy talking motorcycles and riding with non-riders.........right up to the point where they begin to preach about the dangers of them-thar suicide machines.

Me: "Not really, I am not much for riding with a lot of people and I don't care for larger crowds...
then add under your breath, "...thanks to that damn restraining order."

Problem solved. wink.gif

I talk with motorcyclist and non motorcyclists alike. I live to talk to others about my passion for motorcycles!! It's the same reason I wave at other bikers. Not becuase I want them to wave at me but becuase I want to share the joy I have with others while out riding.

I talk with motorcyclist and non motorcyclists alike. I live to talk to others about my passion for motorcycles!! It's the same reason I wave at other bikers. Not becuase I want them to wave at me but becuase I want to share the joy I have with others while out riding.

You have a very positive approach. good for you! wave.gif

I find it pretty boring talking about my motorcycle. If they are riding, I try to learn something about their ride. If they aren't riding, I usually find that they used to ride.

That said, I've developed some lasting friendships as a result of such conversations.

Well said.

A few weeks ago, on my way to the Grand Canyon, I was stopped somewhere near Needles. I'm standing outside of a gas station minimart, next to my GS, drinking some water. A kid around 21 y.o., carrying three cases of Coors Light came out of the mini mart and asked me, "How many people cut you off today?"

I replied, "None."

"I get cut off like 10 times a day. I ride an R6. They don't even realize that I could like... heh heh heh... smoke 'em in like... heh heh heh... 2 seconds."

What do you say to that? dopeslap.gif

Yes, I do enjoy talking motorcycles with strangers. If they are a fellow motorcyclist, then they are not a stranger - just a friend I have not met yet. If they are not on a bike, I find my moto is always a conversation starter and everyone has a story to tell or questions to ask. It's all good.

Jim VonBaden

You have a very positive approach. good for you! wave.gif

Might be why he is self named "HappyMan"! thumbsup.gif

I like talking with others about riding, and I like both riders and non-riders. But like any conversation, it depends on the person. Some people are just not fun to talk with, while others are interesting no matter what the subject.

Jim cool.gif

I find that conversation with strangers enjoyable. With the motorcycle being the common bond of intrest it makes for (usually) a more enjoyable conversation. Most people traveling alone on a motorcycle are usually the best folks to talk to they take pride in thier machines and the accoplishments on the road they travel. The bond is immediatly established and after the conversation you depart company usually with a good piece of information about the road or just another good memory to store.

The bike has been the ice breaker on many occasions resulting in interesting conversations. From the eight year old gushing "cool mister" to the stately old woman's, "be careful young man" with her hand gently grasping my forearm.

I spend so much time alone on the bike that those rare, special conversations seem to linger a while with the passing miles.

On my own time, sure. At work, not so much.

The biggest drawback to being one of the only departments to use the GS is that EVERYBODY wants to talk about them.

This morning I spent an hour on a loaner R1200RT-P. We're evaluating it to see if thats what we will replace our GS's with next year. I don't think I stopped at a single red light w/o someone rolling down their window and wanting to know about the new bike. Wow.

Archived