IGNORED

HyperPro or Ohlins?????

Eckhard Grohe

JerryMather

I've got a set of Ohlins on both of my bikes and love them but....unfortunately the front shock on the RS is nothing more than a car shock with NO way to make compression or rebound adjustments. dopeslap.gif IMO...this was a big mistake for guys like myself that really do change the shock settings depending on the road conditions.

The only recourse I had was to have it rebuilt and have the shim stack changed for my type of riding.

Fortunately, I have a guy locally that works with a few Superbike teams for Ohlins and he was able to do some magic on it for me. I still don't like the fact that I can't tweek it myself.

If the HyperPro has a front shock that's adjustable, more than just preload......I'd seriously think about going with those.

I've got a set of Ohlins on both of my bikes and love them but....unfortunately the front shock on the RS is nothing more than a car shock with NO way to make compression or rebound adjustments. dopeslap.gif IMO...this was a big mistake for guys like myself that really do change the shock settings depending on the road conditions.

The only recourse I had was to have it rebuilt and have the shim stack changed for my type of riding.

Fortunately, I have a guy locally that works with a few Superbike teams for Ohlins and he was able to do some magic on it for me. I still don't like the fact that I can't tweek it myself.

If the HyperPro has a front shock that's adjustable, more than just preload......I'd seriously think about going with those.

Jerry, not sure that is really true. The compression damping on the Ohlin front can be adjusted with the included c-span wrench. Agree there is no rebound damping adjustment.

When I priced them out last week there was only $175 price difference between brands. I figured for $175 I'd go with the Ohlins name. As fast as I see used Ohlins sell I figured it was a good investment.

Ohlins have a great reputation and you'll certainly be happy with them. Klause (who used to sell Wilburs until they mistreated him) now sells HyperPro. It sounds like they're damn good shocks. All things being equal, if you wantto support a really nice guy I'd buy HyperPros. His URL still has the Wilburs name in it but here it is:

http://wilbersusa.com/wilbers/index.htm

Honestly.. I just like the guy which is why I'm plugging him a bit.

Eckhard Grohe

Where did you get your quotes??? To me it looks like the HyperPros are more expensive..

I am thinking about Ohlins at $1250 and HyperPro at $1320.. The Ohlins price is an old ebay price from Kyle Racing and the other is a recent quote.

JerryMather
Jerry, not sure that is really true. The compression damping on the Ohlin front can be adjusted with the included c-span wrench. Agree there is no rebound damping adjustment.

From the Ohlins Manual:

Your Ohlins shock absorber features the following adjuster:

Spring pre-load adjuster

Adjustments are made by turning the threaded ring on the shock absorber body. Use the tool provided. Clockwise for harder adjustment, counter clockwise to release pre-load.

No compression or rebound, just pre load.

I spent over six months researching the various options and reading a lot of feedback on numerous newsgroups before I made the decision to buy Wilbers. The day I tried to place the order Klaus told me about his troubles with the company.

I needed shocks and I wanted them soon, because I've got a big road trip planned. So, despite a strong desire to support Klause, I decided to stick with my original plan and go with Wilbers. I ordered them directly from Germany and got them in three weeks.

Wilbers discounted the shipping to Canada, but in the email from Bernie Wilbers I posted earlier in this newsgroup he offered free shipping to the US.

Well, the Wilbers are on and I love them. They are everything they are purported to be and the bike is much more stable in turns and smoother on the road. They are pricey, but I don't regret the cost.

Hopefully, Klaus is able to come to some kind of new arrangement with Wilbers. I'd still like to send him some business and I've got two other bikes to fix up.

I heard that Ted Porter's Beemer Shop is the new US distributor for Wilbers shocks. You may want to check out the Wilbers before making a final decision.

Interesting that the Beember shop sells both Wilbers AND Ohlins. As I recall, the fallout with Klaus had to do with the fact that he was carrying another lower cost brand of shocks that did not compete with the Wilbers. Ohlins certainly competes head to head with Wilbers.

Ohlins have a great reputation and you'll certainly be happy with them. Klause (who used to sell Wilburs until they mistreated him) now sells HyperPro. It sounds like they're damn good shocks. All things being equal, if you wantto support a really nice guy I'd buy HyperPros. His URL still has the Wilburs name in it but here it is:

http://wilbersusa.com/wilbers/index.htm

Honestly.. I just like the guy which is why I'm plugging him a bit.

Okay who's this Klause, and how do I get ahold of him? My riding partner is on a 97'GS and wants some Hyperpros. It sounds as if Klause is the man to talk to but this website http://wilbersusa.com/wilbers/index.htm doesn't seem correct.

Please help before my sloppy shocked GS friend kills himself.

Eckhard Grohe

It is the right website... Read the text. It just hasn't had the name changed since Wilbers dumped him.

Where did you get your quotes??? To me it looks like the HyperPros are more expensive..

I am thinking about Ohlins at $1250 and HyperPro at $1320.. The Ohlins price is an old ebay price from Kyle Racing and the other is a recent quote.

I probably had factored in tax/shipping. I called Klaus and Kyle racing for the prices. I live in CA so I had to pay tax when ordering from Kyle Racing.

I'm so happy I spent the money... Wish I had done it sooner. I really think this is the best thing you can do for your bike... better than fancy seats, tunes, electronic gagets.

From the Ohlins Manual:

Your Ohlins shock absorber features the following adjuster:

Spring pre-load adjuster

Adjustments are made by turning the threaded ring on the shock absorber body. Use the tool provided. Clockwise for harder adjustment, counter clockwise to release pre-load.

No compression or rebound, just pre load.

The Ohlins BM503 front shock for the R12RT has both a preload adjuster and a rebound damping adjuster:

http://www.ohlins.com/Portals/0/productlist/documents/mountinginstructions/MC/BM503.pdf

JerryMather

Ok, That's nice for the RT owners and I stand corrected.

I wonder why they made the one's for the KRS's without that. dopeslap.gif

Archived