IGNORED

San Diego Expose

azkaisr

It has taken my dear reading public a full week to pen this small story about the other San Diego. Not the one where families bring their small children to gaze in wonderment at Shamu or feed Doritos to Koalas when the zookeepers aren't looking. No this story is about the other end of the spectrum. The realm where people go to beat the dealer at his own game when nobody is looking. You may want to send little Susie and Johnny into the room to watch TV before reading further.....

I had in my possession a Red 2002 BMW RT which while in itself not a illegal moto, has been used in the past to break a few traffic codes. It was in need of a little service so I contacted my local dealer for a quote. Not even with the kids out of the room will I tell you all what they stated, but suffice it to be so ridiculous that I sought "alternative" solutions. After prowling several local liquor stores and seedy gin joints, a "friend" told me that there was this place in San Diego that might be able to help. He said be careful though because it was sort of a commune and they tended to be a little different. I almost spat out my Mai Tai when he told me the man to see was known as "N....Jamie". But in the name of savings I made the call and set up a little trip to the other Diego.

After a short 4 hour and 48 minute jaunt across the Desert I arrived at dinner time to the "Commune". Immediately I was met by this guy. He claimed to be a retired math teacher in for a few days on his new 07 RT. He brought his wife along as cover. I didn't buy it for a second, but said "Great to meet ya".

160768518-L.jpg

This is the math teacher...with the dog. Lets call him Bob and the Dog Maggie. Maggie lets anyone scratch her butt but trust me the emotional attachment ends right there.

After this moment a young woman walked in who looked out of place. She had no helmet or reflective pants and to be honest looked to be from Oz. Her voice confirmed it. Then it got weird. She was a "trumpet player". I thought, does this mean she knows how to do exhausts? Is that some sort of code word for Twin Max? Alas she was a hired horn for a concert that Mama Hoon was performing. Her name, at least what she told all of us was Kathryn/

160767796-L.jpg

Funny enough the “Math Teacher” ends up being out of the Sopranos. It seems in a former life he was a trumpet player too. Diane blew his cover (pun intended) stating he was in the New Jersey Symphony. We all know what she really meant. We spent the rest of the night talking octaves, mouth pieces and tuna. Oh and Jamie managed to eat the last of the cabbage. You can see poor Kathryn just trying to keep her hands away from the food with Jamie in almost full frenzy. She left soon after this and we never saw her again.

The rest of the evening was spent in the kitchen and living room chatting about events on the board and planning for the other workers who would be arriving.

Saturday morning got here and I went out to get coffee and see if the bike was on the lift…..

160768130-L.jpg

I came to fix my bike not clean a garage. Just because I am not wearing socks doesn’t make me your houseboy.

160769678-L.jpg

The RT on the lift finally.

160769838-L.jpg

Guess how many batteries were charged to help get all the Tupperware screws out? Here is a hint. It is a number less then 1.

160769991-L.jpg

Jamie told me that he had the neighbors so scared we could just toss our stuff on their lawn and not even worry about it.

160770285-L.jpg

I think he just tosses his trash in their back yard. The man owns the neighbor hood.

160770408-L.jpg

Even the local cops work on their bikes here!

160770141-L.jpg

I got a little nervous when the rubber gloves started coming out before noon!

160770956-M.jpg

I was amazed at all of the dirt that the RT had gotten in the last 30k. I mean I washed it last year!

160771313-L.jpg

Bob “the Trumpet Maestro” also knew how to set valves like a pro!

160772297-L.jpg

So there was a recent post where it was alleged that I was sucking up bench time that Jamie wanted to use for other “workers”. Well if he wasn’t always making things so much harder then they had to be he would have been done with us way sooner. He HAD to check the valves. Only issue was he dropped the feeler gauge into the oil. Thank goodness Gary was around to help fix things.

160769222-L.jpg

I was on to those big eyes this trip. I told her to call Richard if she was looking for a good time since he let her spend the night with him last time he was there.

160772017-L.jpg

You know there is a party going on when Signman shows up. Signman doesn’t really work on things. He just comes and is Signman. He is just cool and has a beautiful wonderful wife so I never complain when he is around!

160773160-L.jpg

When it was time to do the work on the brakes, there is only really one man you can depend on in San Diego. He was no where in sight so I got Weasel Wayne to be there. The man was ready to pounce like a Turtle if I needed him. He did have me laughing all day though and it was good to know that with him out there…none of us are safe.

161162634-L.jpg

I think Wayne was ready to get involved. Or maybe just get another water.

160774244-L.jpg

Shortly before Midnight the bike was back together (it felt like midnight).

160774938-L.jpg

At first I thought this was a bill, but Jamie said I should just slip this official looking document into my records and if anyone asked any questions to just tell them to call Wayne.

As usual the Edmonds Clan was great. Can’t say enough about the use of the guest room, the help with parts and the fact that it just feels like home there. I will be moving in July 1.

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Nice...

One question though? Did you bother to clean all the muck off the bike while the tupperware was off? You coulda prolly got help from PTP... (that would be Phil the put~)....that is if he wasn't out on OT duty.... lmao.gif

I think Steve helped me clean it. There was no way Phil was going to miss a day of work to come hang out with us Heck!

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Firefight911
There was no way Phil was going to miss a day of work to come hang out with us Heck!

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Not funny!!!!!

Believe it or not, there are many times of late that I have no choice! I would much rather be with you guys than getting cats out of trees.

Couchrocket

Then it got weird. She was a "trumpet player".
Ah, but not "just" a trumpet player, my Dear Watson, she's a Baroque Trumpet Player. And Patricia and I had the great joy to hear her play the very next day, in a cathedral no less. Brought tears to my eyes, it was so beautiful, timeless . . . and out of time at the same time.

Great tale, my friend.

Couchrocket
getting cats out of trees
Hey, dude, you guys up north need to get in step w/ the modern fire service. How many cat skeletons you seen in trees? lmao.giflmao.giflmao.gif
There was no way Phil was going to miss a day of work to come hang out with us Heck!

Kaisr thumbsup.gif

Not funny!!!!!

Believe it or not, there are many times of late that I have no choice! I would much rather be with you guys than getting cats out of trees.

Yeah I know Phil........We miss you sweetheart!! lmao.giflmao.gif

Oops..that word change thing again!!!! lmao.giflmao.gif

Les is more

Nice tale Thomas! Sorry I missed so much of the techdaze. I was busy bringing "cultcha" to San Diego. I don't think that Kathryn expected to be talking classical trumpets when I told her there were a bunch of moto hooligans at the house!

Some reviews of my evening--

. . .superb chorus of BACH COLLEGIUM.

. . . trumpeter Kathryn Aducci, whose flawless, elegant performance of this aria on natural trumpet (i.e., a trumpet with no valves) outshone any trumpeter I have ever heard. Modern trumpets with their clumsy valves and pinched timbres make Handel’s trumpet obbligato in this aria sound labored and harsh. Aducci spun out a sinuous line as delicate as that of a flute, yet with all the power and color of brass. If the angel Gabriel does play a trumpet, I have every confidence that he sounds very much like Ms. Aducci.

. . .The chorus triumphed in all the lively sections, making quick-paced fugues sound as easy and playful as children at recess on a spring afternoon. In “He trusted in God,” they appeared like vicious Greek furies transplanted from one of the “Orpheus” operas, yet they found innocent exultation in “Let all the angels of God worship Him.” Their sound was consistently pure and clear, their diction immaculate. In the chorus “For unto us a child is born,” they stealthfully approached the word “wonderful” only to fling it out with giddy exuberance instead of the usual ponderous declamation. Now that was magic. Even the warhorse “Hallelujah” chorus seemed renewed with this fresh approach.

. . .I have never seen a reaction like that in an audience. We stood as one, instinctively. There was no hesitation nor reserve nor waiting to see what an enthusiastic neighbor might do. We stood up in human joy and thanks, knowing we had just witnessed something astonishing: your commitment, as the Bach Collegium San Diego, your dedication and your true joy in knowing you had delivered something of great and living beauty to people who might be able to sense what you were giving. Art is always an act of faith that there might be someone to sense it.

. . .Thank you for your art and for your beauty. Your performance last night was profoundly nourishing for its quality and for its joy. I believe having been present last night has made me a better person! Smile, if you like. I say this as the simplest child of art. A witness can be improved in the witnessing.

So, I had the double pleasure of being a part of the above performance and having you all grace our home with your presence. Thanks for being here. Let's do it again soon!

Calvin  (no socks)

Tom, nice story......

Did you learn anything?

Good thing Jackie was in Ak. Otherwise a tipover might have accidentally happened...

The Horror, the horror...

What about that wisecrack about cleaning the garage?

Was it aimed directly at me? cool.gif

..... Weasel Wayne ........... did have me laughing all day

161162634-L.jpg160773160-L.jpg

Imagine that lmao.giflmao.gifgrin.gif

So were you sore the next day from the bike maintenance work out?

PhillyFlash
Tom, nice story......

Did you learn anything?

Good thing Jackie was in Ak. Otherwise a tipover might have accidentally happened...

The Horror, the horror...

What about that wisecrack about cleaning the garage?

Was it aimed directly at me? cool.gif

Don't worry. Tom was talking about some other guy on the board who doesn't wear socks and is known to clean other people's garages. grin.gif

Looks like you all had a blast, I was kinda busy with the honey do's.

I'll have to catch up with you all next time grin.gif

Yeah, those sandy eggo types, gotta keep an eye on um at all times. Iffin yer not careful, I've heard tell they'll put a grand on the odo while yer takin' a nap. blush.gif Aside from that, I have heard their tech show is purdy good, and I know one of 'em is darn good cook. thumbsup.gif

Nice write up Tom, thanks for the report for us that couldn't attend. frown.gif

Darn I knew I was missing a good time while I was stuffing packets for the rally that weekend. Nice write up and I definitely want to attend the next one. Ruby is just 800 miles away from needing some TLC. On the bright side I did receive a refresher course on the valve adjustment procedure at the rally.

Archived