Dead or dying R1200RT

MickFinn

Wonder if anyone can possibly point me in the right direction?? I parked my RT and left it for a while. I couldn't start it when I returned. After a few attempts it started but ran erratically and cut out. I got it started again and drove it o.k. for a few minutes. I switched it off and got my gear on. When I tried to re-start it it refused to fire. I eventually had to leave it. My nearest dealer is 120 miles away so I'm wondering if I have missed something obvious? I have been driving it for the last five months without a problem.

frown.giffrown.gif

Thanks. Will check for water but I use the same filling station all the time. My friend filled his bike at the same pump after me and his bike is o.k. (RT1150)

Could still be water--condensation. Always make sure tank is full before storing for a while. Add about 16 oz (assuming you have 3 gals gas in tank)of isopropanol, methanol, or ethanol to scavenge the water. Crank until it starts---or better yet drain it if you can after adding the alco. and then put in fresh gas and crank it.

Thanks for the advice. I have to go away for a few days so I have got B.M.W. Assist to take the bike back to the dealer in Dublin. It's still under warranty so I don't really want to start pulling it apart just yet. I will post the result of the dealer's findings. clap.gifclap.gif

I don't blame you. The bike shouldn't be failing you this early, so the burden of repair belongs on BMW. Keep us posted.

Jay

Hi,

My bike was lifted at 0630hrs. yesterday morning and taken to Joe DuffY B.M.W. in Dublin, a journey of 155 miles. Two hours after it arrived I got a call to say it was being washed and would be returned to me that evening. I'm told the "fuel pump modulator" was badly corroded and had been replaced. The bike had displayed two fault codes on diagnostics check. It made their job easier they said. I am very impressed with the dealer service from Joe Duffy Motors. No excuses, no fob offs. Down to business and got the job done. I even received updates from B.M.W. when I bike had left on its return journey and was give hourly updates on where it was. Who needs G.P.S.!!! My bike spent some of its life near the sea so maybe that had some part in creating the problem. I intend to see if somehow I can insulate the unit or protect it in some way. During our winter the roads are salted and it can't be good for the bike. Many thanks for all suggestions on where to start. Over the years I've have an R1100RT, a K1200LT, and now the R1200RT. I've tried the other brands but prefer B.M.W. Looking forward to many more fun miles. smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gifwave.gif

Archived